Author Topic: Anyone experience with plastic plumbing  (Read 5197 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Anyone experience with plastic plumbing
« on: 23 April, 2008, 12:48:34 pm »
You know, plastic pipe, and plastic push fit fittings. EG, http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100985/Plumbing/Push-Fit-Fittings

Good or bad experience from anyone?

Cheers.

Re: Anyone experience with plastic plumbing
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:03:32 pm »
What do you want to know?

I've recently plumbed a central heating circuit and hot water pipes with this, on a boat. Previously I used soldered copper in a house, so can compare them.

The main thing with these fitting is to *always* use an insert, and to be absolutely certain that you have pushed the pipe home in the fittings. There is a sort of double-click - one when you push the pipe past the O ring, and another when it is fully home. The H2O fittings are particularly hard to get together.

Speedfit seems durable, and has the advantage of being dismountable.

copper compression fittings will also go onto the plastic, but require room to tighten with spanners.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:08:23 pm »
Did my kitchen with them when we moved here seven years ago. Just make sure that they are properly pushed home as they can let go several hours later quite spectacularly and you may wake up in the night to find a flooded kitchen (don't ask). Once properly pushed home they are fine.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Sophie Days.

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:15:27 pm »
If you think you might be susceptable to having mice, then don't use plastic. They eat that stuff for breakfast, lunch and tea. Why I don't know, but the resulting damage can undo any price advantage plastic may have. I wouldn't have it again in any 'confined space' such as under floor boards or in the loft. It's just too risky. Having to tear the house apart within a year of getting everything finished was not good. To say the least.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:14:40 pm »
Bloomin' marvellous. I used a lot for the (complete) re-plumbing of Woofage Towers. However, the pipe is supplied in coils and it doesn't want to un-coil >:(, especially the 22mm (which I was in two minds whether to use anyway). Very easy to cut but get the proper cutters! Joining to other plastic and copper is a breeze. I used Speedfit as supplied by Screwfix.
Pen Pusher

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:31:34 pm »
My sister's house in Oz has plastic plumbing. After about 16 years the O rings harden and everyfink leaks!

Her house is on stilts though so it's just a matter of replacing the O rings. Apart from the dozen or so connectors in the walls.  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

tonycollinet

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:38:35 pm »
Thanks for the info folks

Now mice - that is somthing I wouldn't have thought of in a million years.

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:47:18 pm »
our entire house is plumbed with plastic pipe, apart from the last foot or so when we've got copper pipes up through the floorboards.  Looks wierd, but seems to be working so far [they havent switched the water on yet].

lets hope we dont have mice.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:56:38 pm »
I wouldn't use it* for supply pipes, but push-fit waste pipe is great.  Plumbers use solvent-weld because it's cheaper, but you can't take the stuff apart and modify it later.

*I have used copper push-fittings in locations where I wouldn't want a blowtorch and/or it's too inaccessible for compression fittings.  They are quite good; some of them have been in place for 6 years now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:28:16 pm »
The O-ring problem depends a little on whether your water supply is chlorinated or chloraminated.  Chloramines affect O-rings more.

There can be some interesting effects of mixing certain types of plastic and metals.  I can't remember the details off the top of my head but will look it up when I get to work.

To some extent, it depends on whether you are looking for a 50 to 100 year service life, as tends to be the case at the water supply company end.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2008, 07:25:07 am »
I used it for the consersvatoire garnier and found it v easy to use.

The advice I had was always use the inserts too.

Mind you, plumbing pipes is jolly satisfying.

H

« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:56:35 am »
If you are worried about it just use copper with Yorkshire fittings (pre soldered) instead. I did my bathroom that way and it's not that difficult if a lot slower to do than plastic. Just make sure you get a half decent blow torch and a heat shield (to put behind the pipes and stop you setting fire to the wall/skirting board) and it's quite fun.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tonycollinet

« Reply #12 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:47:20 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback chaps and chapesses.

I'm going to go with copper pipes, and copper push fit fittings. Not too worried about 0 ring life - I am sure the bathroom will be redone in the next 20 years.

I would have gone for plastic, apart from the mouse risk. Cats are always bringing the damn things in, and sometimes they take up residence. I would hate for them to eat my plumbing while they are there (ooer Mrs), so thanks for that pointer, Sophie

steveB

« Reply #13 on: 24 April, 2008, 04:23:15 pm »
I have used thousands and thousands of John Guest fittings, up to about 6 bar.  Leaks are quite common.  You are right to go with copper pipe, but I would use Yorkshire fittings.  A scratch on the pipe is the most common cause for a leaking O ring.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #14 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:25:55 pm »
The advice I had was always use the inserts too.

Of course.  The inserts do seem to restrict the water flow somewhat though (I guess it only takes one ...) - my bath is a very slow filler since I converted to plastic.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:34:53 am »
In hard water areas leaks are rare after the first year or so, because the inside of the pipe becomes lined with lovely green/blue scale.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tonycollinet

« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:51:01 pm »
Well, having just spoken to the plumber who did the new boiler and water system - looks like I'll be using plastic.

One key advantage - if all plastic pipe is used, then there is no need to earth all the fittings.