Author Topic: Programme to reduce waypoints automatically?  (Read 1869 times)

Programme to reduce waypoints automatically?
« on: 27 March, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »
Before my computer crashed and I lost everything, I used to have a programme that would automatically trim my waypoints down in a .gpx file.
I think the symbol of the programme was an ant.
For the life of me I can't find it now.

Please help.

Re: Programme to reduce waypoints automatically?
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2010, 03:13:03 pm »
Gpsbabel did it for me the other day.  Just copy the .source gpx file with the large number of waypoints into the gpsbabel directory, then type the following command from that directory:

gpsbabel  –i  gpx  -f  bigfile.gpx  -x  simplify,count=500  -o  gpx  -F smallfile.gpx

It’s case-sensitive (note small ‘f’ and big ‘F’).

It reduced a track of 800 or so waypoints down to 500 for downloading to my Geko

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2010, 04:41:12 pm »
GPS Babel is more techy than I can cope with.

The one I was after was GPS Trackmaker.  I went to Audax UK and looked at the GPS references and figured it out.  It has a really neat trackpoint reducer.  It automatically can reduce them to 500 so it fits onto my Etrex.

Yay.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2010, 02:30:49 pm »
Glad you found it.  I’ll maybe have a look at it myself.  It’s good there are so many GPS and mapping applications and utilities. 

By the way, do you have a fixed wheel Moulton?  I may be getting you mixed up with someone else!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2010, 05:33:45 pm »
GPS Babel is more techy than I can cope with.

There is a GUI that comes with it, you don't have to get yourself all mucky with that command-line stuff.

Still complex because there are just so many options - but it's a program that's worth persisting with because it's just so capable and all-round useful.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2010, 07:22:03 pm »
By the way, do you have a fixed wheel Moulton?  I may be getting you mixed up with someone else!

No, not yet  ;D

I used to have a mismatched Thorn Brevet.  Now I have a lovely Enigma Etape.