Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952395 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7625 on: 25 November, 2017, 08:35:57 pm »
[Baby Driver] That opening scene...  :thumbsup:

Oh yes. Leaves a lot for the rest of the film to live up to.

Unfortunately, it completely fails to do so. Seems to be a fair amount of 'cool movies' about, who solely rely on pop culture nostalgia without any real content. Just watched 'Atomic Blonde' and it's the same issue.

fuzzy

« Reply #7626 on: 27 November, 2017, 12:32:24 pm »
Darkman

WTaF was Liam thinking?

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7627 on: 27 November, 2017, 01:19:28 pm »
[Baby Driver] That opening scene...  :thumbsup:

Oh yes. Leaves a lot for the rest of the film to live up to.

Unfortunately, it completely fails to do so. Seems to be a fair amount of 'cool movies' about, who solely rely on pop culture nostalgia without any real content. Just watched 'Atomic Blonde' and it's the same issue.

It worked well enough for me - I had a few niggles with it, including one of the casting choices but I thought it was pretty good overall.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7628 on: 27 November, 2017, 01:48:21 pm »
Ex Machina

Enjoyable enough. A moderately interesting take on the AI theme, even if there's nothing startlingly original about it.

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7629 on: 28 November, 2017, 04:07:21 am »
Last night's BBC4 documentary called (I think) Last Man In Aleppo.  Very, very moving and unspeakably sad.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7630 on: 28 November, 2017, 09:14:18 am »
My ASL fingerspell is almost as rusty as Bart Mancuso's Morse.

Looking forward to you signing something suitably obscene* at Long Itch. ;D

*Not that I'll be able to understand but if it's accompanied by the correct style of adolescent sniggering...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7631 on: 28 November, 2017, 11:50:57 am »
My ASL fingerspell is almost as rusty as Bart Mancuso's Morse.

Looking forward to you signing something suitably obscene* at Long Itch. ;D

Oh, if you want that I'll get barakta to bring Signs of A Sexual Nature.  It's an equal mix of unambiguous dictionary definitions, interesting linguistic factoids (eg. that <fuck> is an expletive with no sexual implication), and lovingly drawn illustrations of people with extremely 80s hair acting out various explicit signs, inna X-rated Cath Smith book stylee.  A rudimentary understanding of classifiers should be all you need to appreciate the good ones.   :D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7632 on: 28 November, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »
SKILLSHARE!!!!!  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7633 on: 28 November, 2017, 08:48:57 pm »
 :D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #7634 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:57:32 am »
Film review by proxy - courtesy of my colleague describing it to another colleague
"The Guardian gave it one star... to be fair, it deserved it...  the special effects were good, but the plot, the acting... terrible"
(The film was called John something - a remake of a 1950s film about Mars? if I'd understood him correctly. You'll gather he doesn't recommend it.)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7635 on: 29 November, 2017, 12:06:05 pm »
Film review by proxy - courtesy of my colleague describing it to another colleague
"The Guardian gave it one star... to be fair, it deserved it...  the special effects were good, but the plot, the acting... terrible"
(The film was called John something - a remake of a 1950s film about Mars? if I'd understood him correctly. You'll gather he doesn't recommend it.)

John Carter. It is indeed pretty terrible. What you might call a 'high concept' piece, but then confuses the matter with a garbled attempt at a low concept plot. I think it's based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs book.

Not to be confused with John Wick, which is excellent. As long as you like the idea of Keanu Reeves shooting up a load of bad guys. Hardly any more substantial than John Carter in terms of plot, but a lot more fun.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7636 on: 29 November, 2017, 01:51:23 pm »
John Wick is such fun  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

fuzzy

« Reply #7637 on: 29 November, 2017, 01:55:05 pm »

John Carter. It is indeed pretty terrible. What you might call a 'high concept' piece, but then confuses the matter with a garbled attempt at a low concept plot. I think it's based on an Edgar Rice Burroughs book.

Not to be confused with John Wick, which is excellent. As long as you like the idea of Keanu Reeves shooting up a load of bad guys. Hardly any more substantial than John Carter in terms of plot, but a lot more fun.
(click to show/hide)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7638 on: 29 November, 2017, 02:54:50 pm »
Robocop

The second one. I seem to remember that the first one was funny. I don't think this was. However it was enjoyable hokum with plot holes.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7639 on: 01 December, 2017, 10:11:04 pm »
Grand Budapest Hotel  :thumbsup: Fun, great cast, nice camera work.

« Reply #7640 on: 02 December, 2017, 04:53:45 pm »
Taken
Liam infiltrates the Paris police w/o speaking a word of French... he did say 'merci' once

fuzzy

« Reply #7641 on: 04 December, 2017, 11:58:55 am »
Cloud Atlas- took me a while to get my head around the seemingly vastly disparate story arcs but, once I started to understand where it was going, a film thoroughly enjoyed.

Playing the game of guessing whether a character was a particular actor was fun also.

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7642 on: 04 December, 2017, 02:00:07 pm »
Godless

Enjoyable.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7643 on: 04 December, 2017, 02:29:06 pm »
Wonder Woman.

She defeated my ability to remain awake. I think DC stands for Dull and Clumsy. Basically it's war movie in which a woman in a silly costume runs around doing things for impossible to conceive reasons. It could and should have been the antidote to the usual superhero man-fest.

« Reply #7644 on: 04 December, 2017, 11:53:14 pm »
Wonder Woman.

She defeated my ability to remain awake. I think DC stands for Dull and Clumsy. Basically it's war movie in which a woman in a silly costume runs around doing things for impossible to conceive reasons. It could and should have been the antidote to the usual superhero man-fest.

Yeah. My wife was really looking forward to this and that was more or less her comment.  I don't understand why this reviewed so well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7645 on: 05 December, 2017, 12:15:14 am »
Wonder Woman.

Yeah. My wife was really looking forward to this and that was more or less her comment.  I don't understand why this reviewed so well.

Like most superhero films, it would have benefited from a large chunk being left on the cutting room floor.  But you just know that if they did that it would be the wrong chunk.

It managed to avoid being cringeworthily awful in lots of obvious ways that you expect a Wonder Woman film might.  But that alone didn't add up to a good movie.  I blame low expectations.

« Reply #7646 on: 05 December, 2017, 01:27:42 am »
I did like the visuals of the god battles (Zeus, Ares, etc). That was really well done.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7647 on: 05 December, 2017, 08:59:44 am »
Half of a thing called Un Illustre Inconnu (Nobody from Nowhere). Matthieu Kassovitz is always good but the story was

(click to show/hide)

We bailed after an hour during which each of us was thinking that the other was enjoying it, and watched Cloud Atlas instead.  I spent half an hour trying to remember Halle Berry's name and coming up with Haile Selassie instead.  :facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7648 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:11:00 am »
Wonder Woman.

Hmm, I just read several reviews. I think they saw a different movie. I think a case of missed potential, they could have messed with the usual masculine superhero tropes and the old cheesy WW heritage but they seemed unwilling to poke a tongue out at the rest of the franchise. I enjoyed Deadpool for that reason, but with a female lead they could have done a lot more, without diluting the kickassery. Instead, she might as well have been another generic super-bloke going through the motions. Obligatory DC backstory (I'm surprised they missed the opportunity to tell us why Batman is so grumpy, they killed his parents you know, they should put that in every movie in case we forget), stodgy script and termited plot. Wlll people stop doing things in movies for no better reason than the script told them to.

hillbilly

« Reply #7649 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »
I thought Wonder Woman was solid, other than the last 15 minutes which were hokey.  The backstory is perhaps forgivable since she was effectively being introduced for the DC extended universe films (in particular Justice League).  It followed a similar pattern to Captain America, but was less tedious.

It was a definite step up from other recent DC films like Batgran v Supergran and Suicide Squad (or Shitty Shit Shite as my friend put it).  And at least on a par with Thor: Ragnarok and GotG2.

Maybe I just had low expectations.