Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 237452 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #350 on: 28 May, 2010, 03:43:08 pm »
That's now an official FoI request, and they have to come up with the goods or face sanctions. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Clandy

« Reply #351 on: 28 May, 2010, 03:50:25 pm »
I just hope others are also asking SBC to see the safety audit under FoI. The more people who make a request the harder it is for the council to prevaricate.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #352 on: 28 May, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »
SBC are serial non-compliers with the FOIA. I requested information relating to me being named in the Claim for Possession dated 18th March. My letter to SBC was dated 23rd March. I have still had no acknowledgement from SBC, but the I have involved the Information Commissioner and have a case number.

I understand that it is possible to force a local authority to carry out an information audit where it persistently flouts the rules, as SBC seems to do.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #353 on: 28 May, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »
Just sent to SBC:-

As you have not replied to my email of 11th April requesting a copy of the safety audit of the Western Esplanade cycle path, please now treat this as an official request under the Freedom of Information Act. This gives you 20 working days to comply.
Also could you please provide a copy of the report of the safety inspection of this cycle path that was carried out by Cycling England, this also to be treated as a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #354 on: 28 May, 2010, 05:51:03 pm »
Very sad news with the paramedic, he has had both legs amputated. 

That is awful. Lets hope the perpetrator is given a suitable punishment and not just a slap on the wrist.

I am going to have to take this back, it seems it is not the case at all despite being front page news in the local paper  :(

FatBloke

« Reply #355 on: 31 May, 2010, 11:14:44 am »
I've just seen Tim Totten riding a bike!!!   :o :o

Mind you he was on the cycle path and at Thorpe Esplanade, well away from Western Esplanade, so he should be safe.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Clandy

« Reply #356 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:08:41 pm »
Today:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nF1EpgPC0cY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nF1EpgPC0cY&rel=1</a>

« Reply #357 on: 05 June, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »
Totally predictable, and presumably it will only get worse as the summer rolls on. I would love to see those risk analyses and road safety audits.

« Reply #358 on: 06 June, 2010, 07:45:30 am »
Today:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nF1EpgPC0cY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nF1EpgPC0cY&rel=1</a>

Its the worst bit where the cars are parked alongside the path, Peter Pans going west, although thats not to say people dont just step out at any part  :(

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #359 on: 06 June, 2010, 11:47:18 pm »
Today:

(flippant comment) This thread is useless without Airzounds and video of the pedestrians jumping out of their skins.

(serious for a moment) This has to be one of the most ill thought-out schemes to spend public money in Essex that I've seen for a long time.  If there's ever a call for bike-based protest action then If I can make I'll cycle over from Witham to do so.  i do like the suggestion  a long way upthread of cycling it on the "grand opening" day in the opposite direction to the official opening celebration ride in order to point out the inadequate width.  I like even more the idea of attending, but riding on the road rather than the dangerous and inadequate cycle path.

I really hope enough stuff gets trawled out through FOI requests etc. to nail some itiots to the wall over the waste of money.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

gordon taylor

« Reply #360 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:57:46 am »
This isn't Holland. In the UK there isn't any requirement for pedestrians to keep off a cycle path, as far as I know. Which is one of the many reasons I hate these things. (The paths, not the pedestrians...)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #361 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:05:45 am »
Today:

YouTube
            - Pedestrians.mp4

I must commend you on your restraint, if it were me I'm afraid I would have had to reinflate my Airzound.

« Reply #362 on: 07 June, 2010, 07:54:12 am »
Has anyone contacted Sport England for their response?

gordon taylor

« Reply #363 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:05:31 am »
Today:

I must commend you on your restraint, if it were me I'm afraid I would have had to reinflate my Airzound.

Why? Surely by doing that you just start to act like a BMW driver/white van man honking at cyclists "in the way" on the roads.

As I said before, I don't think there is any requirement for a pedestrian to keep clear of a cycle path. Blasting through with an airzound seems anti-social to me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #364 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:26:36 pm »
This isn't Holland. In the UK there isn't any requirement for pedestrians to keep off a cycle path, as far as I know. Which is one of the many reasons I hate these things. (The paths, not the pedestrians...)

I'm fairy sure Gordy's correct here. I think this means cyclists lose out with conflict from both motorists and peds.

A cyclist's place is in the wrong/way  ;) :(

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #365 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:11:41 pm »

In Holland pedestrians are allowed to walk on the cycle path the same as they are here. However in the UK we have an attitude of conflict rather than co-opperation, both on the cyclepath and on the road. "This is my space so get out of the way".

I think Clandy handled it pretty well no shouting or air horns, all that should be needed is a polite ping of the bell to make someone aware of your presence.

If we learn one thing and one thing only form Holland it should be to foster a culture of co-opperation between all road/cyclepath/pavement users.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

« Reply #366 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:57:46 pm »
They still haven't finished the Greenway path from Vic Ave to Prittlewell Chase, I wonder if they are to paint lines to seperate peds from bikes?
The section from Prit Chase to Gainsborough Drive is well under way and they seem to have finished up to the park entrance.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #367 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »
Today:

Why? Surely by doing that you just start to act like a BMW driver/white van man honking at cyclists "in the way" on the roads.

As I said before, I don't think there is any requirement for a pedestrian to keep clear of a cycle path. Blasting through with an airzound seems anti-social to me.

Well that's me told then.  Airzounds are adjustable.

« Reply #368 on: 07 June, 2010, 08:26:44 pm »
Pedestrians are quite legally entitled to wander in the cycle lane, just as they are legally entitled to wander along a road.
If a motorist hits a pedestrian walking in the road, the pedstrian was "asking for it" and it's fair game to use a car horn on pedestrians walking in the road.
But when a pedestrian wanders along a cycle lane, the cyclist becomes the baddie all of a sudden.

It's OK for everyone to be scared of cars and be bullied out of their way, but cyclists have a bloody cheek for using a cycle lane that according to some, was built especially for us.

I stand by what I always say. Cycle paths are nothing more than legalised pavement cycling.

« Reply #369 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:15:07 pm »
If we learn one thing and one thing only form Holland it should be to foster a culture of co-opperation between all road/cyclepath/pavement users.

Eh?! I've cycled in Holland for 20 years (age 5 to 25) and if there is one thing I have never done then (or now) it is being nice to f-ing pedestrians. Where did you come across a 'culture of cooperation'? The sticks? In the big cities, cyclist are the Boss. :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #370 on: 08 June, 2010, 12:16:52 pm »
Pedestrians are quite legally entitled to wander in the cycle lane, just as they are legally entitled to wander along a road.
If a motorist hits a pedestrian walking in the road, the pedstrian was "asking for it" and it's fair game to use a car horn on pedestrians walking in the road.
But when a pedestrian wanders along a cycle lane, the cyclist becomes the baddie all of a sudden.

It's OK for everyone to be scared of cars and be bullied out of their way, but cyclists have a bloody cheek for using a cycle lane that according to some, was built especially for us.

I stand by what I always say. Cycle paths are nothing more than legalised pavement cycling.

Actually, IIRC, cycle lanes are legally for the use of cyclists only, unlike shared use paths.  A bit like cyclists and pedestrians are excluded from motorways, which are for motor vehicles only.

However, I would agree with the general point that we should make allowances for the more vulnerable party (the pedestrians) and seek to foster a positive relationship, where we are not seen as the baddies.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

FatBloke

« Reply #371 on: 09 June, 2010, 06:43:22 pm »
I have just received my invitation to the nexr Cycle Forum meeting. There is an agenda, but unusually the minutes of the last meeting were not attached.

I detect the aroma of a very large rodent!   :-\

« Reply #372 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:27:38 pm »
I detect the aroma of a very large rodent!   :-\
Don't tell me! They've imported Capybaras to go along with the palms haven't they!  ::-)

« Reply #373 on: 12 June, 2010, 11:27:19 am »
Had a pootle from the pier to Chalkwell early on. I don't like these,

Why not have give way on the motor traffic lanes? There are also give ways for the zebra crossings but no black/white stripe on the cycle path.

And I wonder how far the green will go?

« Reply #374 on: 12 June, 2010, 11:39:41 am »
Had a pootle from the pier to Chalkwell early on. I don't like these,

Yep I dont get this either. 99% of the time there is going to be more motorised traffic than there is cyclists.
Then again, car is king, and we all know that!

In a law situation how does this give way work?
A ped steps out in front you give way, or you see a ped waiting its up to you to give way?