Author Topic: April Skies  (Read 2108 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
April Skies
« on: 27 March, 2012, 11:55:06 am »
Team Sky squads for April races announced:
http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17545_7623352,00.html

Hmm, could be tempted to have a flutter on EBH for Paris-Roubaix.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: April Skies
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2012, 01:23:37 pm »
I can't see beyond Sagan, Cancellara or Boonen myself for Flanders and Paris Roubaix, but I probably lack imagination. For a longer shot I'd go for Sep Vanmarcke. I hope Gilbert improves in time for the Ardennes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2012, 01:27:39 pm »
Sagan?  Carl or Francoise?  If the latter, it might end in sadness.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »
I can't see beyond Sagan, Cancellara or Boonen myself for Flanders and Paris Roubaix, but I probably lack imagination.

They would be the safest bets on current form. I reckon Eddie has a chance though. Maybe at Flanders, maybe at Paris-Roubaix.

For a longer shot I'd go for Sep Vanmarcke. I hope Gilbert improves in time for the Ardennes.

Vanmarcke does look good at the moment. But what has got into Gilbert? Just keeping his powder dry so far or genuinely lacking form?

d.

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »
Dental issues, apparently.  Gettting the new team gelling may be another factor.  Teeth and teething, then.

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
I just watched the last 40 minutes of Flanders.  I'm still feeling breathless.  Well done to Pozzato for somehow staying sort of upright and making a race of it with Boonen.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTifWygY-OA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UTifWygY-OA&rel=1</a>

Cancellara not so fortunate.  The clip doesn't really show the crash but love the Sporza commentary when you get a blast of Flemish which is so close to English that no translation is required.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IvDqoeWz0fs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IvDqoeWz0fs&rel=1</a>

(Something like this.  Apologies to any Flemish speakers).
Isj zhat Cancellara?
Das isjt Cancellara.  Cancellara licht ar an der mittel von der veg.

Cancellara. Der absoluter top-favorit.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:16:42 pm »
The greenedge guy was unlucky - and in the wrong place. I can't fault the spectator, moving back out of the line of riders heading  for him only to hook the wheel with his foot. Must be feeling gutted, but really not his fault at all. Just unlucky all round.

Shame about EBH being caught behind the crash at the bottom of the pattermur (sp?) but that is racing for you - shows just how close to the edge these guys are all the time. 250km of cobbled hilly crit racing..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2012, 11:53:40 pm »
The greenedge guy was unlucky - and in the wrong place. I can't fault the spectator, moving back out of the line of riders heading  for him only to hook the wheel with his foot. Must be feeling gutted, but really not his fault at all. Just unlucky all round.

Mainly the rider's fault for riding so far to the side I suppose - and not helped by the lack of a kerb between the pavement and the cycle lane.

I'd like to know why that front wheel broke free so quickly. The initial impact (with the spectator) didn't look that hard.

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2012, 06:17:58 am »
Missed it on Sunday but watched the highlights last night. Cracking bike racing. Very exciting to watch even when you know the result. Shame for Cancellara.

d.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:52:34 am »
I'd like to know why that front wheel broke free so quickly. The initial impact (with the spectator) didn't look that hard.

No "lawyer lips" on the forks, a QR tension that's only just sufficient to keep the wheel in, and, as they were descending, a speed of 50-60kmh?

Pozzazto's "save" (just behind the crash) was amazing - terrific bike handling.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2012, 12:37:28 pm »
No "lawyer lips" on the forks

A state of affairs which may be changing soon if UCI have their way.  The French teams will be pleased if this is the case.

http://inrng.com/2011/06/french-puncture-mechanics-time/ 

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:00:05 pm »

No "lawyer lips" on the forks, a QR tension that's only just sufficient to keep the wheel in, and, as they were descending, a speed of 50-60kmh?

Generic Chinese carbon frame - I bet they do have lawyer lips. I've been watching the wheel changes recently, in general, they appear to be taking too long and rotating the skewers - so I reckon that most pro bikes already have them. I don't know how prevalent the practice of filing them off is at this point in time though.

I've studied that clip a bit now and it looks like the spectator's foot gets hooked in the spokes, wrenching the wheel sideways and down. Could be a failure of the q/r or fork tips as it hit the road.

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2012, 03:53:19 pm »

Generic Chinese carbon frame - I bet they do have lawyer lips. I've been watching the wheel changes recently, in general, they appear to be taking too long and rotating the skewers - so I reckon that most pro bikes already have them. I don't know how prevalent the practice of filing them off is at this point in time though.

I've studied that clip a bit now and it looks like the spectator's foot gets hooked in the spokes, wrenching the wheel sideways and down. Could be a failure of the q/r or fork tips as it hit the road.

Team mechanics always file them off. They aren't needed and put several seconds on a wheel change.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »
I can't fault the spectator, moving back out of the line of riders heading  for him only to hook the wheel with his foot. Must be feeling gutted, but really not his fault at all. Just unlucky all round.

He's off work for a week. It was the first time he'd been to see the RVV and (he says) the last.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2012, 07:18:25 pm »
Langeveld doesn't blame the spectator (nor does he blame himself). He states that it's a 'wrong time wrong place' accident. Steel feels sad about it since Flanders and Roubaix were his focal points for the spring season.

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2012, 04:58:11 pm »
Very much enjoyed Paris-Roubaix today...

(click to show/hide)

d.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2012, 06:20:19 pm »
EBH isn't suffering a relapse of the EBV he has suffered from before is he?

That is just awesome hard. I thought Boonen would blow but he held out for a well deserved win.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes