Author Topic: Alloy chainring bolts  (Read 1656 times)

Alloy chainring bolts
« on: 29 February, 2020, 07:54:13 pm »
I just wanted to say that I hate them

Now for the 10mm HSS bit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Alloy chainring bolts
« Reply #1 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:21:54 pm »
Rattle & drop or electrolytic seizing?

« Reply #2 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:32:47 pm »

Given he's about to start drilling with extreme prejudice, I'd say the latter.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:37:59 pm »
I've never had a problem with them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 29 February, 2020, 09:13:19 pm »

Given he's about to start drilling with extreme prejudice, I'd say the latter.

Good point!

« Reply #5 on: 29 February, 2020, 11:04:08 pm »
One out of 5 solid, now turned into a pile of swarf:)

Stainless coming to replace them.

« Reply #6 on: 29 February, 2020, 11:52:55 pm »
bit of a toss-up as to which is less suitable for our glorious climate; them or alloy spoke nipples..... ::-)

cheers

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2020, 12:00:02 am »
bit of a toss-up as to which is less suitable for our glorious climate; them or alloy spoke nipples..... ::-)

cheers

Oddly, I’ve never struggled with the wheels I’ve used alloy nipples on. There again, I’ve never needed to true them.

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2020, 05:43:34 pm »
Sorted with steel bolts and top hats. 3 rings on my Spa again - 48, 38, 30 and 12-30 10sp on the back. Just put a pair of Jack Brown Green tyres on and like them a lot. Smooooth.

« Reply #9 on: 10 March, 2020, 08:39:21 am »

cheers

Oddly, I’ve never struggled with the wheels I’ve used alloy nipples on. There again, I’ve never needed to true them.

Here's to hoping that you never need to then, my LBS won't even try anymore they just rebuild using brass nipples.
Quicker easier & cheaper than faffing around trying to free the seized alloy ones.
2-3hrs to strip & rebuild V's all day to unseize and true up.

I've got three wheels with anodised alloy nipples, on an ICE Vortex FS trike, and the first thing I did was to rebuild them using copperslip.
Even though they were 'New' I had to replace around a dozen spokes & nipples where they had seized and had to be cut off.
Not had any problems with corrosion/seizing in 9yrs now (I true & tension annually).

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2020, 10:27:25 am »
Alloy chainring bolts should be fine. I have never used anything else. Just assemble with grease (I use Shimano white assembly grease) and do not overtighten. The ones I currently use are 20 years old.

As for spoke nipples always use brass. Ventured into alloy once, never again. The tiny weight advantage is just not worth it. To delicate to assemble properly and prone to seizing onto spokes.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:55:22 pm »
Aren't alloy chainring bolts (at least the inner "nut") pretty much standard? They're not highly stressed anyway.

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2020, 09:11:55 pm »
With stainless steel bolts £2 for 5 I’d stick with SS.

« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2020, 09:57:38 pm »
Aren't alloy chainring bolts (at least the inner "nut") pretty much standard? They're not highly stressed anyway.

Steel seems to be standard in chainsets from the factory. I’ve only seen alloy in the aftermarket.