Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 129668 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #75 on: 03 May, 2011, 11:13:09 pm »
Monmouth Ethiopian Yirgacheffe again. Love it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #76 on: 24 May, 2011, 12:18:27 pm »
Kenco Caffe Latte coffee sachets. http://www.kenco.co.uk/range/kenco-cappuccino/kenco-caffe-latte/689 Two boxes for 1 at tesc*s today.
Had one at lunch time.

Chemically tasting Caffe Latte with the after-taste of artificial sweeteners  :sick: 

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #77 on: 24 July, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »
Finally got round to trying some Union beans.  Currently on the Foundation blend, which makes a very nice smooth cappuccino, but not 100% sure how it'll hold up without milk.

Also have a bag each of Revelation and Rogue to try over the next few days.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #78 on: 24 July, 2011, 05:39:30 pm »
Also have a bag each of Revelation and Rogue to try over the next few days.

I've got some Revelation on order. I'll be amazed if you dont like it

« Reply #79 on: 24 July, 2011, 07:09:31 pm »
I'm still experimenting with my Gaggia titanium to find teh optimal grind and strength. The coffee seems to be coming out a little bit faster than I want it to at the moment. We drank a whole 250g bag of beans yesterday, I should feel wired probably  :D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #80 on: 25 July, 2011, 12:52:26 pm »
Latest purchase from Monmouth is a bag of Tres Pueblos, Nicaragua. Rather wonderful. Sharp and fruity. Very lively.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: 25 July, 2011, 01:03:46 pm »
Union Asprotimana, from Huila in Columbia.

A lighter roast that I've been using in my Aeropress for the last week or so.  I'm loving the zesty, tangy flavour.  Not quite citrus, but definitely strong grapes or mulberries or something.  It's just the sort of coffee you want to be drinking long as an americano or maybe as a pourover cup.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #82 on: 25 July, 2011, 02:58:58 pm »
By the way there are two Rancilio Epoca machines going on eBay today or tommorrow

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:01:54 pm »
Yeah, and if that first one wasn't in fecking Darwen, I'd be bidding...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #84 on: 25 July, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »
If it wasnt that my Rancilio had a PID, I'd snap it up like a shot. The fact that the guy wont post puts most people off. 

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #85 on: 25 July, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »
I usually stick to Taylors of Harragate. I'm on the Carte Noir this week as it was in the cheap bin in the supermarket. Im still looking for these cat poo coffee beans, looks like Tescos /Sainsburys won't be getting them anytyime soon.

Last week I found Carte Noir for my stove top coffee maker. Mine is a 1 cup espresso model and is fantastic as long as you keep a weather eye on it to make sure that you don't accidentally burn the coffee once it has percolated. Since I don't like espresso, I pour it into a normal cup and add more water from the kettle.

Yum!!

Carte Noir, is my favourite coffee that I have tried as it seems to be delicious in freeze dried variety and delicious in under-strength stove top variety too. :)

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #86 on: 28 July, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »
I've got some Revelation on order. I'll be amazed if you dont like it

I've found it surprisingly troublesome, grind just won't go right for me and I'm getting an overly-quick extraction (and damper-than-usual puck) pretty much regardless of what I do with it :(.  The results are surprisingly drinkable, but obviously not anything to get excited about.  I'm back on the Foundation for now, still have half a bag of Revelation and will have another try (after giving the machine a good clean) this weekend.  But any tips welcome!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #87 on: 28 July, 2011, 03:10:04 pm »
One of the issues with it is that it sometimes arrives only a couple of days after roasting.... I'm not sure that is enough. That said, I grind it quite finely and always end up with a soggy puck but I accept that because what ends up in the cup is excellent.

« Reply #88 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:28:35 pm »

I have just had an Ebay accident on a semi-commercial machine, so my Rancilio Silvia is for sale over in classifieds if you, or indeed anyone else here, is interested.

« Reply #89 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:45:49 pm »
What did you go for?

« Reply #90 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:50:35 pm »
Rancilio S24!

Like this:

« Reply #91 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:52:35 pm »
Very nice!

« Reply #92 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:57:22 pm »
Cool.

My finger hovered over the 'mint' Epoca (the successor to the S24) that came with a Mazzer Grinder and water softener.  It went for about £580 in the end, which is an absolute bargain

« Reply #93 on: 29 July, 2011, 10:54:46 am »

I have just had an Ebay accident on a semi-commercial machine, so my Rancilio Silvia is for sale over in classifieds if you, or indeed anyone else here, is interested.

I was watching that S24 but it went too high right at the end - hope you enjoy it!

And I got here too late for your Silvia   :'(  Anyone else got one for sale?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #94 on: 29 July, 2011, 05:58:30 pm »
You could go for one of these if you're a fashion victim.

I'd love one of those machines, but not with that logo on it.

« Reply #95 on: 29 July, 2011, 06:29:24 pm »
Those Giotto's are about a grand normally. So that's about £500 for the Rapha logo

« Reply #96 on: 29 July, 2011, 07:16:16 pm »
You could go for one of these if you're a fashion victim.

I'd love one of those machines, but not with that logo on it.

If you buy the Rapha version you have to buy your coffee here!

« Reply #97 on: 29 July, 2011, 07:22:18 pm »
I was watching that S24 but it went too high right at the end - hope you enjoy it!

It was cheaper than they normally are - they usually fetch 5-600 quid on Ebay - the collect only from Cwmbran saw to that.  It wasn't you who put the snipe on and won the grinder was it?  You cost me the best part of 100 quid if it was!  ;D

« Reply #98 on: 29 July, 2011, 08:00:39 pm »

It was cheaper than they normally are - they usually fetch 5-600 quid on Ebay - the collect only from Cwmbran saw to that.  It wasn't you who put the snipe on and won the grinder was it?  You cost me the best part of 100 quid if it was!  ;D

Not guilty O:-)  I was out with some friends but couldn't resist checking on my phone.  It was around 320 and I talked myself into putting in a bid, but by the time the phone refreshed it had jumped up a lot.

I'm still kicking myself for hesitating for 30 minutes (and I've still no idea why, except that it was another collect only from miles away) over a nice looking Silvia a couple of weeks ago that had a 'buy it now' price of 150.  Yes, I missed that one as well  :-[

« Reply #99 on: 29 July, 2011, 10:51:06 pm »
Just collected the S24.  Strewth, it's MAHOOSIVE.  I am going to be introuble when I get it home..