Author Topic: Lidl's Christmas Pudding  (Read 2586 times)

Lidl's Christmas Pudding
« on: 18 January, 2009, 07:09:44 pm »
I always keep an eye on the Festive stock at Lidl during January and my persistance is begining to show rewards.
750gm Christmas Pudding for £1.43. Resistance was futile.I now have several.
Even i cant eat a whole 750gms in one sitting.I reckon about five or six afters are in each pot.

So.....

If i keep the diminishing opened pot in the fridge how long before it starts to go furry?The only preservative i can see is Calcium Propinate and this is very low on the ingredient list.

I suppose the alternative is to section it and freeze portions but this doesn't make allowance for the addict's need to occasionally overdose.

Tonight's portion was enhanced by Morrisons offering large pots of Mascarpone at 49p.

First course was tofu and mushrooms ina chilli sauce with noodles,broccoli and carrots so i had -calorific- space.

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
Re: Lidl's Christmas Pudding
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2009, 07:13:17 pm »
Which Lidl was this ? Is there any left ? Do they have anything else , e.g. stollen ?

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2009, 07:13:45 pm »
I found the leftover Christmas pud from Christmas Day in the fridge last week.  No fur, and very tasty it was too :)

But it had had a lorra brandy on it.

Good tip on the reduced price pud by the way.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2009, 08:02:52 pm »
I can't comment on the Lidl ones, but the Aldi ones (reduced in our local store to £1.50) when opened seemed fine in the fridge for at least a week. 

I've bought up  quite a few even though I've still got 2 left from last year which have a best before date of July 2009, so I'll eat those first.  Yum yum.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2009, 10:40:47 pm »
Can't eat 750gm in one sitting?

Man or mouse?

ps on looking at your forum name

Woman or man or mouse?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2009, 10:53:28 am »

I've bought up  quite a few

I read that as "I've brought a few up".
Sorry.

Really Ancien

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2009, 10:58:27 am »
I think of it as Christmas cake that hasn't risen at all, so it will keep a year at least. That's how long they used to keep the top tier of the Wedding Cake for use at the first Christening.

Damon.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2009, 01:19:32 pm »
I suspect Damon has a point. The high concentration of sugars will probably inhibit the growth of fungi by dehydrating them.

Really Ancien

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2009, 01:24:09 pm »
I think of it as Christmas cake that hasn't risen at all, so it will keep a year at least. That's how long they used to keep the top tier of the Wedding Cake for use at the first Christening.

Damon.

Sorry about that post, ingrained ethno-centrism, I meant naming ceremony of course.

Damon.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 20 January, 2009, 10:55:12 pm »
Which Lidl was this ? Is there any left ? Do they have anything else , e.g. stollen ?

Looking at the sort of people who go in our local Lidl and the price of the stuff, I suspect most of it is stollen.

« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2009, 06:20:32 pm »
To days Lidl bargain at Harwich was Panatonne.This product is viewed with great suspicion by the local populace.Not enough Raisins.

They appear to have a reasonable shelf life.I managed to sneak in before daughter 2 ,the cook ooooops sorry chef appeared.

She uses them for bread and butter puddings at about £5.00 for a couple of spoon fulls.

Sadly no Christmas Puddings or stollen left.

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2009, 11:54:46 am »
It will last for ages; unopened they are likely to last for years. Opened, several weeks in the fridge.

Hellymedic is right, the sugars in the pud mean high osmotic pressure & low water activity (it's an intermediate moisture food) so the number of organisms which can actually use it for food (apart from Moondog, of course  ;D) are few, mainly osmophilic yeasts and moulds.

Here endeth the (food microbiology) lesson. Scoff away, lucky Moondog.