Author Topic: Brittany Loop  (Read 2498 times)

Brittany Loop
« on: 07 April, 2016, 11:50:23 am »
For anyone interest in a short adventure into Brittany, I recently cycled the following route London - Portsmouth (Brittany Ferries to St Malo) - St Malo - Fouesnant - Roscoff (Brittany Ferries to Plymouth)- Plymouth - London. A nice round trip with convenient ferry crossing (e.g. Portsmouth crossing is overnight) and great scenery. The best thing is there is hardly a traffic light to stop for in the whole of Brittany (all replaced with roundabouts). Car drivers give you a lot more space too. Nothing too hilly, but certainly not flat either.

See my blog for a little write-up (apologies it has brief reports on 2 Audax rides included):http://duracellbunnyonabike.com/2016/04/03/audax-and-cycle-touring/

Happy to share GPX route files upon request.

London - Portsmouth c. 65-70 mile
St Malo - Fouesnant c. 130 mile
Fouesnant - Roscoff c. 75 mile
Plymouth - London c. 250 mile

Re: Brittany Loop
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2016, 07:46:03 pm »
You were probably there too early in the year but Fouesnant and the surrounding countryside is a great place for live music (frequently in the street). I should emphasise that this is breton music and therefore very much alive.

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2016, 04:49:28 pm »
How much did you pay for each of the ferries?

I might have the opportunity to ride back to the UK from the South of france later this year. I'll use either the St Malo - Portsmouth or the Roscoff - Plymouth ferry and then take the train to Newcastle.
Roscoff - plymouth seems to make more sense as I can then take a direct train rather have all the faff of changing in London.

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:31:22 am »
You were probably there too early in the year but Fouesnant and the surrounding countryside is a great place for live music (frequently in the street). I should emphasise that this is breton music and therefore very much alive.

I did join my mum and her husband to a night of music (indoors). Nice format with people taking turns performing (mix of instruments, mix of languages). I think my mum's husband also performs with a traditional celtic group, but will have to revisit in summer!

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:42:40 am »

I might have the opportunity to ride back to the UK from the South of france later this year. I'll use either the St Malo - Portsmouth or the Roscoff - Plymouth ferry and then take the train to Newcastle.
Roscoff - plymouth seems to make more sense as I can then take a direct train rather have all the faff of changing in London.

Hi Joe

The outbound sailing (Portsmouth to St Malo, which leaves the UK around 8pm at night and arrives c. 12 hours later in France) was £50, but I added a 2-berth inside cabin for £55 (i.e. total £105). You don't need to pay extra for your bike, but you do need to book it in advance. I booked in early January for a trip starting at the end of March.

The return sailing (Roscoff to Plymouth, leaving around 17:30 and arriving around 21:30) was £44 and again I added a 2-berth inside cabin for £21 (i.e. total 65). Making the total ferry costs for this trip £170. I had to pay £35 upon booking with the remainder deducted from my card about 6 weeks in advance.

I ended having the cabin all to myself on both journeys. It was worth the shower, proper rest/sleep time, dedicated charging points for Garmin, lights etc and space to dry your gear. You could also pay something like £5 or £7 to have a shower elsewhere on the boat.

Bike parking on board is pretty good. Embarking/checking in at Portsmouth Ferry terminal is a nightmare (you are not allowed in the terminal building and we had to wait in the wind and rain until the very last car had boarded the ship). At Roscoff it was all a lot smoother and more comfortable. Both times cyclists were allowed to disembark first however.

I paid £42 for a B&B in Plymouth before cycling the 400k back to London the next day.

« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:44:09 am »

Hi Joe

The outbound sailing (Portsmouth to St Malo, which leaves the UK around 8pm at night and arrives c. 12 hours later in France) was £50, but I added a 2-berth inside cabin for £55 (i.e. total £105). You don't need to pay extra for your bike, but you do need to book it in advance. I booked in early January for a trip starting at the end of March.

The return sailing (Roscoff to Plymouth, leaving around 17:30 and arriving around 21:30) was £44 and again I added a 2-berth inside cabin for £21 (i.e. total 65). Making the total ferry costs for this trip £170. I had to pay £35 upon booking with the remainder deducted from my card about 6 weeks in advance.

I ended having the cabin all to myself on both journeys. It was worth the shower, proper rest/sleep time, dedicated charging points for Garmin, lights etc and space to dry your gear. You could also pay something like £5 or £7 to have a shower elsewhere on the boat.

Bike parking on board is pretty good. Embarking/checking in at Portsmouth Ferry terminal is a nightmare (you are not allowed in the terminal building and we had to wait in the wind and rain until the very last car had boarded the ship). At Roscoff it was all a lot smoother and more comfortable. Both times cyclists were allowed to disembark first however.

I paid £42 for a B&B in Plymouth before cycling the 400k back to London the next day.

Worth adding that the outbound sailing probably was more expansive as it was the Easter weekend. I imagine you could book it a lot cheaper at other times.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2016, 01:45:44 pm »

You could also pay something like £5 or £7 to have a shower elsewhere on the boat.

Sometimes these are out of service, as they were on my return from PBP (and I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to all my fellow passengers for the smell).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2016, 12:21:11 pm »
Thanks for the info. Taking the ferry to Plymouth looks good at this point as it allows me to then take a direct train to Newcastle. Completing the journey with a ride from Plymouth to newcastle is quite out of the question for me as by the end of July I won't have seen the Missus & kids for 7 months.