Author Topic: Will Audax as we know it recover from this?  (Read 29239 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Will Audax as we know it recover from this?
« Reply #325 on: 08 April, 2021, 07:16:18 pm »
Chile have also mainly vaccinated with Sinovac, which is the worse of the two Chinese vaccines, with efficacy results from trials as low as 50%.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #326 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:32:24 am »
Chile also has a very long and possibly leaky land border**, and is heading into winter.

** UK on the other hand just has several international airports can't wait to get back to work ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Davef

« Reply #327 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:52:02 am »
... and the rapid lifting of restrictions was over interpreted to cause a bit of mental super spreading. If you do that when 50% (or more with their vaccine choice) are still susceptible it gives exponential growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #328 on: 09 April, 2021, 05:03:51 pm »
Worth having a peek at this twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1380512731456016385?s=20

« Reply #329 on: 11 April, 2021, 07:08:07 pm »
Gosh - I last looked at this thread about 10 days ago.

In that time war broke out, allegations of stifling free speech were bandied around, we have a bit of debate about vaccine efficacy and a few other diversions.

Good to see that audaxers without audaxing don't change!

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #330 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:32:32 am »

Good to see that audaxers with audaxing don't change!

We haven't had full lowdown of Audax achievements yet.. normally you are only as credible as the number of SR you can boast. It's ultra or die

« Reply #331 on: 12 April, 2021, 09:10:58 am »

Good to see that audaxers with audaxing don't change!

We haven't had full lowdown of Audax achievements yet.. normally you are only as credible as the number of SR you can boast. It's ultra or die

Typo in my post - should have said  "audaxers withOUT audaxing..."

TBH - I've always felt that YACF celebrates the finest in pedantry and unnecessary grumpiness... characteristics you rarely encounter when we're actually riding!

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #332 on: 12 April, 2021, 09:56:28 am »

TBH - I've always felt that YACF celebrates the finest in pedantry and unnecessary grumpiness... characteristics you rarely encounter when we're actually riding!

You say that, but...
My first long brevet was John's National 400 in 2018. I remember on the way back from Aberystwyth, as the climb gradually became a fast A-road flat, we caught up with this AUK veteran (you can tell by the amount of clutter on the bike), who as soon as saw we were approaching, made a hell of an effort to drop us... by then it was getting dark and safety was in numbers, unless you are of a grumpy nature of course.

Eventually, he lost his jacket a mile to the finish and that was duly picked up and returned to him... didn't seem particularly grateful either...

So there...

« Reply #333 on: 20 April, 2021, 02:23:32 pm »

My first long brevet was John's National 400 in 2018. I remember on the way back from Aberystwyth, as the climb gradually became a fast A-road flat, we caught up with this AUK veteran (you can tell by the amount of clutter on the bike), who as soon as saw we were approaching, made a hell of an effort to drop us... by then it was getting dark and safety was in numbers, unless you are of a grumpy nature of course.

I was out that way last week and drove that section of the A44. Absolutely stunning views in the daylight, but the way the logging trucks/general traffic scream along there gave me the willies and i'd certainly think twice about riding it in the daytime. On that night, I don't remember any particularly scary passes once we crested the first hill out of Aberystwyth and left the boy racers behind.

« Reply #334 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:34:06 pm »
Chile have also mainly vaccinated with Sinovac, which is the worse of the two Chinese vaccines, with efficacy results from trials as low as 50%.

Nevertheless, it's working..

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1384878143308173313?s=20