Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124311 times)

Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #200 on: 27 April, 2012, 11:15:44 pm »

Quite similar.  We've just gone to the TalkTalk plus, mainly forunlimited download allowance and free anytime landline calls including 0870 etc.  We paid the line rental up front so for the 12months it works out to £24/mth all in.  AFAICS.

This http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/ ** is quite good because it shows you a map of what speeds others are getting in your postcode, distances from exchanges etc.

** warning.  Mac users may suffer disappointment.   ;)

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #201 on: 27 April, 2012, 11:29:20 pm »
Uswitch needs Flash.

Maybe when they reach the 21st Century their site will be useful  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #202 on: 27 April, 2012, 11:36:17 pm »
9.95 & 1.00, i.e. almost exactly what I'm paying for. It's usually over 90% of rated, but not usually 99-100%. Can't complain.

Re-test, in case it was a fluke.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #203 on: 28 April, 2012, 02:47:39 pm »

It is raining. The string is wet.
Had no interwebs at all from 13.40-14.00.
Have had better but this is OK.
Should be getting 40Mbps

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #204 on: 28 April, 2012, 03:25:53 pm »
The string dries up a bit...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #205 on: 28 April, 2012, 03:31:51 pm »

This makes me sadface :(

« Reply #206 on: 29 April, 2012, 11:21:38 am »
Ooh, a show-off thread:

Fiber to the home ftw. I should get 100Mbit, I doubt these testing servers can reliably test that. Or my cheapass 100mbit switch ruins it.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #207 on: 29 April, 2012, 11:28:34 am »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

essexian

« Reply #208 on: 29 April, 2012, 11:35:04 am »

Could walk backwards carrying the whole internet in my backpack quicker than this!

Can't wait until my contract with Talk Talk ends so I can get a better provider! (work paid for my connection until recently so Talk Talk was their choice).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #209 on: 29 April, 2012, 02:01:30 pm »
The string is wet again so my fibre to the cabinet connection has dropped. My Vodafone dongle has 'no signal' but remains connected.
I'll do the washing up. I may be some time...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #210 on: 29 April, 2012, 02:43:01 pm »
Looks like my wet string theory above may be wrong as my partner had uninterrupted broadband whiile I did the washing-up.
Have restarted this netbook and all seems well. (At least, the dishes are clean too!)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #211 on: 29 April, 2012, 02:52:31 pm »

TalkTalks version.  For some reason the router speed is supposed to be quicker; anyone know why?

I expect they're referring to the difference between sync speed and TCP/IP throughput.  Sync is the raw number of bits per second passing through the phoneline.  The amount available for useful data is somewhat less than that, on account of encapsulation, error correction and whatnot.  (There used to be an artificial difference enforced by the coarse steps of BRAS rate limiting on BT wholesale lines, but BT have seen sense and are now setting the BRAS to throttle to the sync rate, so it shouldn't be an issue any more, at least on 21CN)

Helly: your string theory's the wrong way round:  Wet string's the good kind (in as much as it transmits electrons more effectively than dry string, but not as well as copper wire).  Of course, what you've probably got is a leaky junction box somewhere, and the packets are being eaten by frogs and fish and things when it gets wet.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #212 on: 29 April, 2012, 03:30:34 pm »

It would appear I'm neither one thing nor the other; not super-whizzy, but not treacle.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #213 on: 29 April, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »
Download speed 0.29 mbps, upload is 0.67. Fastest it's been all day, as usually it's too slow to load the speedtest site. :-(

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #214 on: 29 April, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »

Not bad for the back of beyond. Work gets 10Mb up and 10Mb down but with the lag I'd guess that's a sat link
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #215 on: 29 April, 2012, 06:34:54 pm »
Helly: your string theory's the wrong way round:  Wet string's the good kind (in as much as it transmits electrons more effectively than dry string, but not as well as copper wire).  Of course, what you've probably got is a leaky junction box somewhere, and the packets are being eaten by frogs and fish and things when it gets wet.

I think there's more to it than that.
The connection trips in wet weather and the frogs swallow my connection.
Apples are healthy so they laugh at the rain and reconnect despite the hub allocating a new IP address or channel or whatever.
Windows computers throw a hissy fit and refuse to recognise themselves at a new IP address so they need a reboot where it hurts, cos it's the only language they understand.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #216 on: 29 April, 2012, 06:36:40 pm »
Windows computers throw a hissy fit and refuse to recognise themselves at a new IP address so they need a reboot where it hurts, cos it's the only language they understand.

Defenestration.  It's the only language they really understand.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #217 on: 29 April, 2012, 06:41:49 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #218 on: 22 May, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »

But..... its only just come back having gone down some time between 6 and 7 this morning.

Dave

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #219 on: 22 May, 2012, 05:29:42 pm »

We are far away though.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #220 on: 25 May, 2012, 01:34:20 pm »
at last our virgin has been upgraded to 20mb - plentyfast enough....did a speed test and got 21!

rr

« Reply #221 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:17:14 pm »

O2 business broadband from wife's employer.
Don't know why it thinks we are near Preston though

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #222 on: 27 May, 2012, 11:36:32 am »
Downstairs Vista laptop on wireless

[Edit] Unless my geographical knowledge is having a Senior Moment, I'm a tad more than 50 miles from Manchester.

Bemused of Brent.

« Reply #223 on: 27 May, 2012, 11:40:38 am »
Currrently getting 6mbps download and sweet FA upload ;D   Just signed up for BT Infinity which will be installed in a couple of weeks.  Line tester says 55.8Mbps dowload and 16mbps upload.   If thats anywhere near right its going to be like going from dial up to broadband again :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #224 on: 27 May, 2012, 12:08:58 pm »
Aidan, I got BT Infinity last month. Yacf loads faster, vids on YouTube and BBC News still stutter and stop. BT Home Hub is mediocre kit, BT Desktop Help is a pile of poo and the nice OpenReach engineer snipped my landline phone extension cables.
It's been a mixed blessing...
Hope your overall experience is more positive than mine!