Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124309 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #250 on: 02 July, 2012, 01:29:43 pm »
BTDT0TS.
I think it was about a year from the time BT said FTTC was about to come to my neighbourhood to the time I actually got it (and mine was installed in the first week of availability in my area).
Seems my parents get good download speeds anyway now (I think FTTC is available for them but they CBA right now).
Their upload speed is slow but I don't think they upload much.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #251 on: 02 July, 2012, 01:41:11 pm »
Our FTTC was due on Saturday.

Since there are still holes in the ground all round town, and shiny new boxes attached to the holes, I think that is unlikely.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #252 on: 02 July, 2012, 01:50:10 pm »
Hampstead's chatterati thought the cabinets were too large and obtrusive so demanded their removal.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #253 on: 02 July, 2012, 02:14:49 pm »
Still got homing pigeons here. The Sky ones probably get free team-approved Magic Juice to help them fly quicker. The BT ones, sadly, seem only intermittently able to connect us to the outside world.

Essex. A million miles from civilisation. According to BT.

« Reply #254 on: 02 July, 2012, 03:15:17 pm »
Argh, you've just reminded me that our latest date was end of June too.

We are now due Infinity end of September.  Our original quoted timeline was end of December, 2010.  Hence my email to them, a few minutes ago, wondering whether their project planning is seriously so poor that they get it wrong by years, or they're in the habit of lying to their customers to keep their interest piqued.

It made me feel better, anyway   ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #255 on: 02 July, 2012, 03:43:04 pm »
BT tied me into a 'pay 12 line rental in advance to save money' deal, which tethered me to them while they faffed with not installing Infinity.
I've ranted elsewhere about what happened when they finally installed Infinity.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #256 on: 02 July, 2012, 04:57:09 pm »
Just experienced what may be considered by some to be a miracle - an OpenWretch engineer turning up as promised.

Now getting my lolcats via FTTC at about 10x the previous speed. Shiny.

ian

« Reply #257 on: 02 July, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »

We are now due Infinity end of September.  Our original quoted timeline was end of December, 2010.  Hence my email to them, a few minutes ago, wondering whether their project planning is seriously so poor that they get it wrong by years, or they're in the habit of lying to their customers to keep their interest piqued.

I'm going to grink them too. If my recall is correct and they manage September 2012, that's about 15 months after their original estimate. I have no faith that any fibre will be slinking out of the Sydenham TE any time soon. I presume as the local area is cabled extensively by Virgin Media (other than my street, of course), they're not exactly hurrying. Either that or they are scared of the dinosaurs. They're in the way.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #258 on: 02 July, 2012, 05:37:57 pm »
AIUI, the dates are just automatically placeholders - as each date passes, it just bumps on to the next one.

The one thing that gives me hope is that I know the next two cabinets along from mine have been upgraded, so with any luck, that means mine is next. I'm not holding my breath though.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #259 on: 02 July, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »
You are fucking joking right????

« Reply #260 on: 02 July, 2012, 07:28:17 pm »
My Virgin doubling has been changed from July to July onwards. Very specific, thanks, Dick.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #261 on: 03 July, 2012, 08:27:56 pm »
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #262 on: 05 July, 2012, 01:20:53 pm »
Shiny birthday present on wireless after restarting BT Hub.

:) :)
Finally stopped whinging!

« Reply #263 on: 06 July, 2012, 10:45:07 am »

They answered!   :thumbsup:

Unsurprisingly, they didn't actually answer the question!  It was a form letter with a couple of extra sentences that showed that they had actually read my rant at them, but still managed not to say anything useful!  The lady concerned has a serious future in politics, the email was a full page long and told me absolutely nothing!!   ::-)

Apparently they're "working as hard as they can" and "appreciate my patience"! 

And so, I'm still stuck with this:    which, to be fair, is better than it used to be since I had an engineer fiddle my box (as it were)

« Reply #264 on: 06 July, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #265 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:08:55 pm »

Chris S

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #267 on: 11 July, 2012, 12:24:30 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11325452  ;D

That's excellent!

Story is nearly two years old though.
My BB speed is 15 times faster than then.

« Reply #268 on: 18 July, 2012, 02:39:53 pm »
Virgin's doubling estimate of July 2012 proved over-optimistic:

"Your speed upgrade is going
to take a little longer

We estimate your area will be ready between:
December 2012 and May 2013"

« Reply #269 on: 18 July, 2012, 06:52:37 pm »
Same here

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #270 on: 18 July, 2012, 07:01:49 pm »
All telcos are LYING BAAAAASTARDS!!!!!

« Reply #271 on: 19 July, 2012, 09:22:29 pm »
I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt - a little. I started off with a 2mbps account, which got upgraded to 10mbps. Then I called their retention team and got upgraded to 20mbps and a few weeks ago got the Superhub and now get over 30mbps on a regular basis for not very much money.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #272 on: 20 July, 2012, 01:35:28 am »
I am rather less charitable towards BT. I was on 2Mbps for ages despite paying for 8. The date for Infinity being available was put back by about a year in stages.
Infinity installation was less than competent.
Engineers failed to show up when booked.
I have a fast connection now but getting it was VERY painful!

« Reply #273 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:27:47 am »
That article may have been 2 years old, but it's also really funny.

I still get barely 1Mbps on a good day and I'm 17 miles from London.

« Reply #274 on: 20 July, 2012, 01:21:58 pm »
getting a very reliable 20mb from a 20mb service - as most of the time it's 20.5!
i shouldn't complain and i'm not