Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124308 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #275 on: 20 July, 2012, 01:34:58 pm »
This is of course all Thatcher's fault.  If BT had been allowed to provide video-on-demand services in the 80s, fibre (actual fibre, not the coax that Virgin like to pretend is fibre) to the home would probably be common by now.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #276 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:39:14 am »

Looks like my new cable internet is much faster on a Sunday to a weekday. (Exactly as you'd expect from their "business class" product)

EDIT: hmm and seems it will go even higher (down-link speed) if I switch server...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #277 on: 12 August, 2012, 10:02:16 pm »
Fibre has been installed to our cabinet. I've seen the new cabinet with my very own eyes and it has a sticker on it saying "high speed internet is now available in this area" or words to that effect. Yay!

Unfortunately, BT's website is still showing it as being unavailable in this area, so I can't sign up.  :facepalm:

Maybe it's still in the testing phase. Or maybe it's one of those things that you have to actually phone up and speak to a human being to get sorted. Once it's up and running, we should be able to get around 20mbps. Not ideal but still an awful lot better than our current <1mbps.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #278 on: 12 August, 2012, 10:14:10 pm »
Fibre has been installed to our cabinet. I've seen the new cabinet with my very own eyes and it has a sticker on it saying "high speed internet is now available in this area" or words to that effect. Yay!

Unfortunately, BT's website is still showing it as being unavailable in this area, so I can't sign up.  :facepalm:

Maybe it's still in the testing phase. Or maybe it's one of those things that you have to actually phone up and speak to a human being to get sorted. Once it's up and running, we should be able to get around 20mbps. Not ideal but still an awful lot better than our current <1mbps.

d.

Keep visiting the BT site and book your fibre connection as soon as it's available. It will probably be at the beginning of a calendar month. They arrange engineer visits pretty quickly.

citoyen

Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #280 on: 12 August, 2012, 10:48:21 pm »
I don't trust the online checker at all so I'm going to call BT and/or Sky tomorrow to see if anyone can tell me what the score is.

According to the line-checking site, I can't have broadband at all on the line on which I was using a broadband connection to visit the line-checking site... :facepalm:

d.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #281 on: 13 August, 2012, 11:22:03 am »
After our office move, we are now on a 1x1mb connection. Wow, it is seriously slow compared to what we had before.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #282 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:00:40 pm »
Just scrolled back through the last couple of weeks of CQM graphs for our line.  There's no sign of packet loss or latency that wasn't related to throughput on our link (which would indicate congestion somewhere in the BT network), for the duration of the Olympic period.  Well done AAISP and our-favourite-telco.   :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #283 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:33:16 pm »
Just spoken to both Sky and BT. What I have learned, in short, is that even though fibre has been installed, we can't have it because their systems haven't been updated to show that it has been installed.

FFS.

The BT woman reckons we might have it by 30th September but admitted that was a guess.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #284 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »
Hmmm...

I've just run the broadband line checker on some addresses between us and the cabinet and they're showing as having fibre optic broadband available.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe we're connected to a different cabinet to the one I thought we were.

Or are they just not offering infinity to us because we're too far from the cabinet?

d.

« Reply #285 on: 14 August, 2012, 08:43:55 pm »

I'm quite disappointed that I can't get the Upload over 300 Mb/s.  I've had a few which are a little faster, about 290 Mb/s.  That PC is on Gigabit Ethernet, but it is sharing it with several other machines on a switch.

I think we can get 10Gigabit Ethernet put in now, if we need to go a bit faster. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #286 on: 14 August, 2012, 08:52:22 pm »
You're probably at the point where a decent ethernet chipset makes a tangible difference...

« Reply #287 on: 14 August, 2012, 08:55:18 pm »
Yep, I did that with one of the faster machines, which I happen to be using for data validation.  It's hanging off of Remote Desktop, which is probably using up some bits as well.

I got a lot of variation with time, and also selecting one of the servers not at the top of their list improved things by an order of magnitude!

On this machine, which is a bit ancient, and which is hanging off of a 100Mbit/s Ethernet connection, I barely get 80Mb/s.

What you're doing on the machine can make a difference as well, and I suspect whatever they're using for their code is also a limiting factor.  When you're doing tests at this sort of speed, the performance of the machine makes a very noticeable difference.

« Reply #288 on: 14 August, 2012, 08:58:21 pm »

I'm quite disappointed that I can't get the Upload over 300 Mb/s.  I've had a few which are a little faster, about 290 Mb/s.  That PC is on Gigabit Ethernet, but it is sharing it with several other machines on a switch.

I think we can get 10Gigabit Ethernet put it now, if we need to go a bit faster. ;D

Yeah but how much does it cost?

I'm on a phone and broadband package: line rental, unlimited UK landline calls inc 0845, unlimited downloads. It's "only" 8 Mb/s but the price is £16 per month.

« Reply #289 on: 14 August, 2012, 09:05:06 pm »
I shouldn't think we spend more than a few million a year on it ...

Then again, we do have more than an entire Class B (ie /16) subnet hanging off of it.

« Reply #290 on: 14 August, 2012, 09:06:26 pm »

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #291 on: 17 August, 2012, 08:59:08 pm »
I am on a "borrowed connection" and it's not exactly quick...

Chief cat entertainer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #292 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:27:01 am »

Wireless, with loads of tabs open on my browser.

:) :)

citoyen

« Reply #293 on: 07 September, 2012, 11:36:46 am »
I've just run the broadband line checker on some addresses between us and the cabinet and they're showing as having fibre optic broadband available.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe we're connected to a different cabinet to the one I thought we were.

My very clever wife made an astute observation...

Those addresses up the road that I checked are on a CT2 postcode. We're on a CT5 postcode. We're actually closer to the exchange that serves the rest of CT5, but for historical reasons, we're connected to the one that serves CT2.

According to Samknows, which checks your line according to which cabinet you're connected to, we do have fibre.

Unfortunately, BT's line checker is based on postcode alone, and according to their system, no one in CT5 is connected to fibre yet.

Several long and very trying phone calls later...

It turns out Sky aren't offering fibre broadband from our cabinet yet anyway - BT customers get first dibs, then they make it available to other ISPs later.

I think this means we could get fibre broadband if we switched back to BT, and if we could get through to someone at BT who actually understood the way their stupid fucking sytem actually works rather than just reading a script off a screen.

d.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #294 on: 07 September, 2012, 11:39:27 am »
I thought BT's line checker could also work for your phone number. It certainly has for me in the past.

citoyen

« Reply #295 on: 07 September, 2012, 11:47:48 am »
Only if you're a current BT customer...

d.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #296 on: 07 September, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »
Only if you're a current BT customer...

d.

Wot I is and you ain't.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #297 on: 11 September, 2012, 11:52:30 pm »

Tested with my new setup ( see here: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61234.msg1311757#msg1311757 ) This is the first time I've seen over 7Mb/s  :thumbsup: and that's using wireless with other stuff going on, I'll have to try plugging directly into the router and unplugging it from the switch.

« Reply #298 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:04:41 pm »

Pretty shit really, due to being at the far end of a 3 mile cable down to the nearest exchange.  Thankfully my employer pays most of the bill or BT would have had the big FO by now. I know they can't   do much about it but I resent paying so much for so little.
When BT rang to offer me BT Vision ,I told the woman it would be waste of time and she actually agreed with me after looking at the speed test.
Short vids a la Youtube are O.K but a football match is just a joke. It took me 3 hours to download a TV programme .

« Reply #299 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:47:43 am »
My new BT Infinity connection: