Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124310 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #300 on: 21 September, 2012, 01:36:40 pm »
That's nice Sgt Pluck. Shame you had to wait so long.Hopefully citoyen will get this soon...

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #301 on: 24 September, 2012, 11:51:21 am »
After 2 months of trying to get a landline and nearly loosing my temper here is my new connection:

I can't say that my country is shining on the internet front!
Chief cat entertainer.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #302 on: 24 September, 2012, 12:24:34 pm »
BT's finest. Less than 50 miles from that London - but about 7 from the nearest exchange in Essex, and maybe less than 1 from the nearest in Suffolk. But connections across county boundaries Are Not Allowed.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #303 on: 25 September, 2012, 06:11:32 pm »
That's nice Sgt Pluck. Shame you had to wait so long.Hopefully citoyen will get this soon...

Thanks, but I'm not holding my breath! And even when we get FTTC, I think we'll get 20mbps at most because of the distance between our house and the C. Still, 20mbps would be a huge improvement so I'd take that.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #304 on: 25 September, 2012, 06:28:16 pm »

Have opted for upgrade but it's not yet been implemented.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #305 on: 26 September, 2012, 11:53:02 am »
I have now been upgraded.
Upload speed is better.
I suppose things may yet ramp up a bit.

ian

« Reply #306 on: 26 September, 2012, 12:18:18 pm »

Thanks, but I'm not holding my breath! And even when we get FTTC, I think we'll get 20mbps at most because of the distance between our house and the C. Still, 20mbps would be a huge improvement so I'd take that.

d.

They're estimating about 70 Mbps for me. I won't hold my breath, but it's got to be better than the current 2-4 Mbps range. No idea where the cabinet is, our wires live underground. We shall see.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #307 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:27:24 pm »

d.

They're estimating about 70 Mbps for me. I won't hold my breath, but it's got to be better than the current 2-4 Mbps range. No idea where the cabinet is, our wires live underground. We shall see.

They've estimated 56Mbps for me.
I'll see what I get once things have bedded in and I've restarted the modem. It is very nice to have twenty times the speed I had six months ago though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #308 on: 26 September, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »
Things appear to  have settled at 41Mbps. This is just 10% faster than the 37Mbps I've had.
I'm back to being some way short of 'up to x' and locked into BT for another year.
Ho hum.

« Reply #309 on: 29 September, 2012, 08:52:32 am »
Ooh, a show-off thread:

Fiber to the home ftw. I should get 100Mbit, I doubt these testing servers can reliably test that. Or my cheapass 100mbit switch ruins it.

New laptop, better cable/switch management in house.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #310 on: 01 October, 2012, 07:01:41 pm »
arvid, you must be gutted at that laggy laggy ping.

Here's t'other end of the scale:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #311 on: 01 October, 2012, 07:07:30 pm »
My '56Mbps' has settled at 40-41Mbps. Good enough but less than 'they' expected.

« Reply #312 on: 01 October, 2012, 09:20:52 pm »
This is typical for me recently

Ive just put in an order for BT Infinity, and I've got my MAC code from Be without too much hassle. BT will be a little cheaper, should be a lot faster, but the customer service wont be a patch on Be.
There's fibre to the end of the road so - here's hoping!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #313 on: 02 October, 2012, 07:40:57 am »
Ooh, a show-off thread:

Fiber to the home ftw. I should get 100Mbit, I doubt these testing servers can reliably test that. Or my cheapass 100mbit switch ruins it.

I have now been upgraded.
Upload speed is better.
I suppose things may yet ramp up a bit.

arvid, you must be gutted at that laggy laggy ping.

Here's t'other end of the scale:

BT's finest. Less than 50 miles from that London - but about 7 from the nearest exchange in Essex, and maybe less than 1 from the nearest in Suffolk. But connections across county boundaries Are Not Allowed.

You lot piss me off.

AndyK

« Reply #314 on: 02 October, 2012, 07:52:11 am »
How are people getting on with BT Infinity 2 using fibre to the cabinet?

ian

« Reply #315 on: 02 October, 2012, 08:22:04 am »

I'll let you know shortly. Engineer due this morning. If I disappear it's all gone horrible wrong. My ADSL currently runs between 2 and 4 Mb/s. It may involve some internal restructuring and sneakily relocating the boxes to my top floor HQ; computers on second floor, master socket on ground (right next to the fiends' litter tray, which they fortunately don't use, but may if they don't take a shine to the BT engineer).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #316 on: 02 October, 2012, 09:00:24 am »
I was wondering what an Internet Bottom Bracket was.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

AndyK

« Reply #317 on: 02 October, 2012, 09:02:34 am »

I'll let you know shortly. Engineer due this morning. If I disappear it's all gone horrible wrong. My ADSL currently runs between 2 and 4 Mb/s. It may involve some internal restructuring and sneakily relocating the boxes to my top floor HQ; computers on second floor, master socket on ground (right next to the fiends' litter tray, which they fortunately don't use, but may if they don't take a shine to the BT engineer).

Ok. cheers. I've asked Zen for my MAC code ready to switch. But I'm holding back while I find out if BT FttC is really as fast as they claim.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #318 on: 02 October, 2012, 10:55:43 am »

I've been on Infinity2 for a week.
Speeds D/L 40-41 Mbps cf 37 Infinity 1, U/L 13.5 cf 8 Infinity 1 Ping 15-20 ms (faster too)

My increased download speed is modest.

ian

« Reply #319 on: 02 October, 2012, 04:17:52 pm »
I'm back. BT man messed with the cabinet (ah, that's where it is) and then came back and plugged everything in. I would advise you make sure they test all the phones before they leave, because if I hadn't grabbed him, I've have no extension lines.

We did discuss making my office extension the master. He recommended against it owing to it being basic el cheapo phone cable and not the magic cable they use. I tended to agree with him, the phone extension lines are standard builder splice and dice jobs, though they held up OK for ADSL (and the old modem-router hung off my office extension line). My desktop was wired, along with the NAS, and printer, but everything else was on the wifi. The NAS can go downstairs, the desktop can go wireless, and I'll get a wireless print server for the printer.

Currently getting 40 Mb/s down and 18 Mb/s up which is 10x what I had this morning (they estimated 60/20). I suspect it'll be faster with a wired connection (which I'll try later, MacBook doesn't have an ethernet port), this is probably as much as my wifi can handle (with umpteen devices needlessly chattering away and two floors between me and the box of tricks currently located on top of the cats' litter tray). I suspect my wife will pull that face if she comes home to find cat5 cable snaking up the stairs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #320 on: 02 October, 2012, 06:32:50 pm »
I'm back. BT man messed with the cabinet (ah, that's where it is) and then came back and plugged everything in. I would advise you make sure they test all the phones before they leave, because if I hadn't grabbed him, I've have no extension lines.

Oh, you too?
I learned the hard way!

I suspect my wife will pull that face if she comes home to find cat5 cable snaking up the stairs.

We have Cat5 snaking across the hall and up the stairs.
I do not like it and it's a trip hazard as I can't lift my feet.
BT engineer did not discuss where to put modem and put it on an extension upstairs.
David has put modem at Master socket and has Cat5 cable to the hub in his study.

« Reply #321 on: 02 October, 2012, 07:04:06 pm »
Quote from: arvid

You lot piss me off.

Pirate bay being offline pisses me off. All this bandwidth and no smut to use it for, such a waste!
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

ian

« Reply #322 on: 02 October, 2012, 07:08:51 pm »
To tell the truth, I'm pretty ignorant about telecoms (there's a long, long list of things that I'm completely ignorant about). I have no idea what distinguishes a master socket from the other sockets, but he wasn't keen on running the connection through the 5 metres of cheap telephone cable hidden in my wall. Possibly he couldn't be bothered. They are willing to lay down cat5 (or whatever magic cable they use) from the modem to a place of your choosing provided it doesn't involve knocking holes in walls and pulling up carpet. He was pretty adamant that the modem has to be plugged into the master, as it has a new faceplate and presumably some kind of electrickery gubbins than enables me to find alternative uses for five hundred ADSL microfilters I seem to have acquired over the years.

I only asked about the extensions because I know when I had the line initially connected, the BT guy disappeared and I found that none of the extensions were live. By default they only test the master socket...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #323 on: 02 October, 2012, 08:03:21 pm »
The master socket is where the line enters your property and extensions run from that.
Our BT engineer was too lazy to run Cat5 from the master socket, so put the modem on an extension in David's study, without discussing this with us.
To be fair, the connection speed has been the same with the modem in David's study or at the master socket.
Chopping the wiring to other extensions from David's study was inexcusable.

ian

« Reply #324 on: 02 October, 2012, 08:35:55 pm »
The master socket is where the line enters your property and extensions run from that.
Our BT engineer was too lazy to run Cat5 from the master socket, so put the modem on an extension in David's study, without discussing this with us.
To be fair, the connection speed has been the same with the modem in David's study or at the master socket.
Chopping the wiring to other extensions from David's study was inexcusable.

He obviously went to a different installer school. He would have been willing to fit the faceplate to the extension in my office (which I guess made it a kind-of master) but he made it be plainly known that he would only do so under duress. Even after sampling the best coffee in the entire universe courtesy of coffee bot v2.0, he still wouldn't change his mind. I opted for the fact that he knows more about telephone wires than me (well, I figure everyone does, there are cats that know more than me about telephone wires).

For those of you following this epic saga, a wired connection also gave 40 down and 20 up (~10ms ping). That's a third less than the initial estimate of 60 Mb/s on the download. That might pick up, I suppose. All in all, it's 10x better than what I had this morning for effectively the same price per month. I just need to think of something to download now. Typical, where's a gigabytalicious Apple update when you need one.

(It's not as good via the mothership VPN though, that gives 12 down / 8 up and a 35 ms ping. Probably routing via Tau Ceti.)