Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124313 times)

ian

Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #350 on: 11 November, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
I can vouch for the homeplugs, they solved my wireless reception issues on the top floor, and as a bonus run a lot faster than wifi would.

Infinity is a nice improvement, though I've just had my first run in with BT support*. Oh my.

*the engineer has wired my office phone extension incorrectly and in nutshell, if I pick up that phone, the DSL connection drops. It's unambiguous. Phone off the hook, DSL light on modem flashes like it has disco fever. I presume it's wired to the wrong side of the filter.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #351 on: 11 November, 2012, 06:33:07 pm »
Well, this looks rubbish, but considering where I am you couldn't hope for much more.  (And it's free.  :thumbsup: )
Youtube mostly OK - Iplayer not great.  If I want a program, it's better to download it rather than try to watch "live"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #352 on: 16 November, 2012, 06:45:42 pm »
A bit better than it used to be

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #353 on: 14 February, 2013, 09:22:05 am »
Mine has settled down somewhat now, and I appear to be getting a half decent throughput...

(click to show/hide)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #354 on: 14 February, 2013, 09:28:47 am »
This is what you get if you're lucky enough to be on Google Fiber.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #355 on: 14 February, 2013, 02:52:01 pm »

The Lancashire DIY brigade http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21455795 seem to get about half this; stunning!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #356 on: 14 February, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »

Something like when the place I worked at was connected to JANET.

The downside was I could never use the "I'm just waiting for X to download" excuse....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #357 on: 17 March, 2013, 03:03:39 pm »
The trouble with these massively fast connections, like the one I posted from work a while back, is that the rest of the Internet, and all of the servers, can't really deal with it yet anyway, so it's only for these very artificial cases, where you're just talking to a very close, from a network perspective, machine.  I know that my few Mbits/s ADSL link is only slightly slower than my work connection for most day to day purposes.

It only becomes useful when you're using a fast enough machine that it's useful to stream HD video, or you're transferring a lot of data, full memory cards from a camera, or lots of video files (both of which I've done recently!)  Most of the time it's unimportant, but occasionally it's useful.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #358 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:19:54 pm »
Today I've had a free upgrade from 20CN to 21CN (thank you A&A) :thumbsup:
While the speed isn't anything special compared some posted here it is a big improvement for me living in rural NE Scotland.

Today

Last weekend

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #359 on: 26 June, 2013, 03:29:57 pm »
Last night, I noticed our internet down in not-very-rural East Kent was being particularly slow, so I did a speed check.

Normally, we have around 1mbps. Last night, we had 399kbps. FFS. In this day and age, that doesn't even deserve to be called "broadband". I can't believe I'm actually paying for this shit service.

I hate all you bastards with your superfast download speeds. Just fuck right off and shove your megabits up your arse.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #360 on: 26 June, 2013, 09:11:57 pm »
My speed is enough to make citoyen jealous/angry but my BB has stuttered twice in the last 24 hours so that pages have failed to open.
I thought I'd sent a friend an SMS today and only later found it had failed.
The garden in Londonton is not that rosy.
My Mancunian cousin was totally unable to use her mobile phone at the weekend as several Orange masts in the area were down. The technology sometimes seems as flaky as mille feuilles...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #361 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:10:14 pm »
Is anyone else getting delays/fails with SMS texting? My phone has just taken about five minutes to send a text!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #362 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:35:47 pm »
Got 11.68 from 3G here last night.  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #363 on: 21 October, 2013, 06:30:41 pm »
A high point in BT's broadband provision. This is ~50 miles from That London:

« Reply #364 on: 21 October, 2013, 06:57:00 pm »
Just stumbled on this and I'm feeling better.  Why?  Because there are lots others who get just as poor service as I do and my 0.3 Mb/s appears comparable with others here.

Rather annoying that in a 'market economy' we appear to be getting markedly different performance for the same cost.  I have no choice as cable was never installed in the village so am reliant on the telephone line which limits the speed.  Less than 4 miles away my mate gets 30 Mb/s via Virgin cable.  Another (same distance gets 15 Mb/s.

A difficult situation indeed and for some people attempting to develop a business the situation regarding poor internet connectivity conspires against them.

The future?  We will probably be outside the 95% of the population who will benefit from fast broadband.  So may I pay a commensurate sum for the service provided?  No chance!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #365 on: 21 October, 2013, 11:49:44 pm »

*** Hell!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #366 on: 21 October, 2013, 11:57:53 pm »

Which I didn't think was too bad for a piece of copper wire on Sheppey.

But not quite like the cable speeds we were getting on the mainland.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

TimC

« Reply #367 on: 22 October, 2013, 09:19:53 am »
Just stumbled on this and I'm feeling better.  Why?  Because there are lots others who get just as poor service as I do and my 0.3 Mb/s appears comparable with others here.

Rather annoying that in a 'market economy' we appear to be getting markedly different performance for the same cost.  I have no choice as cable was never installed in the village so am reliant on the telephone line which limits the speed.  Less than 4 miles away my mate gets 30 Mb/s via Virgin cable.  Another (same distance gets 15 Mb/s.

A difficult situation indeed and for some people attempting to develop a business the situation regarding poor internet connectivity conspires against them.

The future?  We will probably be outside the 95% of the population who will benefit from fast broadband.  So may I pay a commensurate sum for the service provided?  No chance!

TBH, Veloman, as soon as I can bin terrestrial BB I will. In the one spot in the house I can get a 3G signal, I can achieve about 5mb/s download speeds. That's usable. At Heathrow the other day, on 4G, I saw 35mb/s plus. It's likely that 4G will reach my home before BT gets the wired BB up to the government's minimum 2mb/s standard (it's not even in the long-term plan for my exchange). BT is not interested in the rural market and would dearly love to ditch it. I will happily assist them by fucking off at the earliest opportunity.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #368 on: 22 October, 2013, 09:24:53 am »

Mine this morning. Its well worth the extra £10 per month for an FTTC connection if you can get it.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #369 on: 22 October, 2013, 09:47:29 am »
Today I've had a free upgrade from 20CN to 21CN (thank you A&A) :thumbsup:
While the speed isn't anything special compared some posted here it is a big improvement for me living in rural NE Scotland.

Today

Last weekend

Ours has doubled too coinciding with O2 broadband being sold to Sky.    We're still looking to move and Coop are on the list for phone and broadband but I cannot say that we're unhappy with the upgrade.   

ian

« Reply #370 on: 22 October, 2013, 09:54:43 am »
After my long wait to get Infinity (which has been pretty good), my prospective move to wild bear country will strip me of this and (as far as I can tell) put me back in the queue. Still, it is the real boonies, an entire 17 miles from central London.

TimC

« Reply #371 on: 22 October, 2013, 10:09:46 am »
After my long wait to get Infinity (which has been pretty good), my prospective move to wild bear country will strip me of this and (as far as I can tell) put me back in the queue. Still, it is the real boonies, an entire 17 miles from central London.

Beware, Ian. I'm only 50 miles from central London...

Actually, looking at that SpeedTest, who are the unfortunate 7% of GB who get even worse bandwidth than I do?  :o

« Reply #372 on: 22 October, 2013, 10:16:36 am »
  ;D ;D

TimC

« Reply #373 on: 22 October, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »
  ;D ;D

Just, ahem, go away. That's just not fair. :(

« Reply #374 on: 22 October, 2013, 07:47:20 pm »
arvid, you must be gutted at that laggy laggy ping.

Here's t'other end of the scale:

We moved to town.