Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124309 times)

Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #375 on: 02 November, 2013, 05:41:29 pm »

Not that I'm gloating at all, you understand. Each time I check it seems to get faster......

« Reply #376 on: 03 November, 2013, 09:54:49 pm »

I do not want to pay yet another fifty quid for yet another box.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #377 on: 04 November, 2013, 11:17:45 am »
TBH, Veloman, as soon as I can bin terrestrial BB I will. In the one spot in the house I can get a 3G signal, I can achieve about 5mb/s download speeds. That's usable. At Heathrow the other day, on 4G, I saw 35mb/s plus. It's likely that 4G will reach my home before BT gets the wired BB up to the government's minimum 2mb/s standard (it's not even in the long-term plan for my exchange). BT is not interested in the rural market and would dearly love to ditch it. I will happily assist them by fucking off at the earliest opportunity.

I'm not even properly rural, just on the wrong exchange (ie not the nearest one), thanks to a quirk of history. The green cabinet we're connected to is fibre-enabled, but because of the distance between us and the cabinet, they won't make it available to us, and because there's only a dozen or so other houses in the same boat as us, they have no interest in rectifying the situation. Unless the requirement to supply broadband is changed from 97% to 100%, we're unlikely ever to get decent broadband. So much for the free fucking market.

Even more galling, they've installed fibre all the way to the small business park up the road - a matter of a couple of hundred metres away - so if they put a new green cabinet in there, we could in theory get a very good speed.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #378 on: 04 November, 2013, 11:49:44 am »

Obviously, a bit slow compared to some on here…….

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #379 on: 04 November, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »

Compared to a lot of the recent posts this doesn't seem that fast. But it's plenty fast enough for what I do.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #380 on: 08 November, 2013, 09:25:31 pm »

I do not want to pay yet another fifty quid for yet another box.

They have dropped the £50 so have ordered superhub.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #381 on: 14 November, 2013, 10:02:02 pm »
rural Norfolk

download 1.3mb/s
 upload .33mb/s

You lot just have no idea how fortunate you are
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #382 on: 14 November, 2013, 11:56:50 pm »
rural Norfolk

download 1.3mb/s
 upload .33mb/s

I take issue with that. My nostalgia for the situation here 3 years ago https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40660.msg776213#msg776213 is not fond!

I am not old enough to have forgotten London life in 2010!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #383 on: 15 November, 2013, 03:21:57 pm »

You are shitting me. I dream of 1.3MB!  ;)

The UN have stated that broadband internet access should be a right, which is a bit optimistic of them. What our own government need to do is establish a legally binding definition of "broadband" - not less than 10Mbps, say.

1.3Mbps would might have seemed brilliant 20 years ago but it really doesn't cut the mustard now.

We've upgraded our TV to Sky+HD, with the brilliant On Demand services that let you download programmes you've missed to watch at your leisure. Which is great if you have decent broadband and can download a whole 90-min film in HD in a matter of minutes. But we don't. So we need to plan what we might want to watch roughly a week in advance.  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #384 on: 15 November, 2013, 04:21:08 pm »
Well, I'm officially going back in time. Although the exchange is enabled and accepting orders, the cabinet is not thusly empowered with fibre, so back to ADSL I go. Apparently they can't tell me when it'll get upgraded though they think 'soon'.

At least I can see the cabinet out of the window and the exchange is not too far away, so I might get decent broadband. I'll be collecting more routers though. Apparently they can't not send me another one.

« Reply #385 on: 15 November, 2013, 04:34:50 pm »
Well, I'm officially going back in time. Although the exchange is enabled and accepting orders, the cabinet is not thusly empowered with fibre, so back to ADSL I go. Apparently they can't tell me when it'll get upgraded though they think 'soon'.

At least I can see the cabinet out of the window and the exchange is not too far away, so I might get decent broadband. I'll be collecting more routers though. Apparently they can't not send me another one.

I'm in the same boat. Exchange upgraded and taking orders but not for this village. We have to wait until the end of March next year apparently for them to do something to our cabinet (the fibres all ready run to it I saw them doing it this summer).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #386 on: 15 November, 2013, 06:12:12 pm »
rural Norfolk

download 1.3mb/s
 upload .33mb/s

Luxury. Rural Essex:

A high point in BT's broadband provision. This is ~50 miles from That London:

« Reply #387 on: 15 November, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »

Can only get standard ADSL. Our exchange is being upgraded to FTTC next summer. Only because our local council had to pay millions to BT to do it.

I work from home connected to a remote server, i'm unsure how I could do this on less than 1mb though. It is in the economy's interest for everyone to access a decent connection.

« Reply #388 on: 15 November, 2013, 07:55:49 pm »
Thought I had ordered my now, free, superhub. Received email confirmation with two possible delivery dates but...... no show. Tracking my order on site says I do not have any outstanding orders. Mmmmmmmm is it me?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #389 on: 15 November, 2013, 08:04:56 pm »

SA39

Not bad tonight
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #390 on: 15 November, 2013, 08:15:20 pm »
Basil that ping time is horrendous. Some serious buffering problems on your link I think. Your getting twice the latency you would expect pinging across the transatlantic cable from the UK to East coast USA !

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #391 on: 15 November, 2013, 08:28:46 pm »
Basil that ping time is horrendous. Some serious buffering problems on your link I think. Your getting twice the latency you would expect pinging across the transatlantic cable from the UK to East coast USA !

Could that be explained by the fact that I am at the extreme limit (distance wise) of my neighbour's wireless?  The signal is so weak that it drops in and out.
(S'ok, I have their permission)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #392 on: 15 November, 2013, 08:38:19 pm »
Not bad here tonight

We're listed as a 'future exchange' on the openreach site so it's unlikely to get much faster any time soon, but it's fast enough for now :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #393 on: 15 November, 2013, 09:07:21 pm »

Not too exciting, but seems enough - mostly. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #394 on: 15 November, 2013, 09:54:32 pm »

Could that be explained by the fact that I am at the extreme limit (distance wise) of my neighbour's wireless?  The signal is so weak that it drops in and out.
(S'ok, I have their permission)

Definitely.

« Reply #395 on: 15 November, 2013, 10:45:14 pm »

I had BT out to investigate my slow speeds. The engineer got it to increase from 1mbs to 6.

Worth trying.

« Reply #396 on: 15 November, 2013, 10:50:57 pm »

I had BT out to investigate my slow speeds. The engineer got it to increase from 1mbs to 6.

Worth trying.

I would look and see what the sync speed of the router was. A speed that low looks like a stuck BRAS. The download speed shouldn't be lower than the upload.

TimC

« Reply #397 on: 17 November, 2013, 09:00:14 am »

Worth trying.

BT themselves state that the maximum speed the line will give is ~1mb. The normal speed is around 0.8 to 0.9mb. On the day mentioned above, BT automatics had throttled my connection because it kept dropping out. They reset the bandwidth while I was on the phone to them. I've had BT/open reach out several times to repair the line - being right at the end of a ~7km line in the countryside means a lot of tree rubbing and other interference. But there ain't no way I'm gonna get more than 1mb, and the exchange is not slated for upgrade. At all.

« Reply #398 on: 17 November, 2013, 11:55:53 am »
So I guess its move house or lump it  ;D

TimC

« Reply #399 on: 17 November, 2013, 08:24:41 pm »
Well, there are a couple of other options. One is the mobile network getting 3G or even 4G to us. 3G is intermittent in my house, but when I have it it gives about 5mb download speeds. That's useable for most things. The second, which is being actively pursued, is satellite-based broadband. Several villages around us have it and it gives about 20mb for around £300 pa (including amortised start-up costs). I would so love to give BT the Final Finger!