Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124317 times)

ian

Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #450 on: 23 June, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
The new green box at the bottom of the street is just sitting there taunting me every time I pass. I presume they're still putting in magic wires but any attempt to get BT or Openreach divulge a schedule is greeted with cheerful ignorance. These people would deny knowing their own names. Just to wind me up more a letter just arrived from Superfast Surrey telling me we'll be upgraded by the 'end of the year.' Perhaps I need to go peel one of those superfast broadband stickers from another box and stick it on mine.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #451 on: 23 June, 2014, 06:57:52 pm »
And I've just had the email form Virgin asking if I want to action the free upgrade from 20Mb to 50Mb.  Why the hell would I say no?  So obviously I said yes, and in 3 days time, it should happen.  I must confess that 20Mb is generally fast enough, its upload speeds that piss me off, particularly when I'm trying to load a load of files up to WeT ransfer, or uploading to a Picasa album. 
Wombat

ian

« Reply #452 on: 24 June, 2014, 08:11:44 am »
Hmm, plugging my postcode (Croydon's finest postcode) into the Superfast Surrey site tells me 'End of June 2014.'

I think it is the end of June. Perhaps they do just need the sticker.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #453 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:53:12 am »
I can now get the faster stuff (to cabinet anyway). As the fibre only runs to the cabinet would they need to install anything in the house?

I get >10Mbps download already so I need to decide whether to upgrade or not. Could be useful for iPlayer/Amazon Video streaming
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ian

« Reply #454 on: 24 June, 2014, 10:11:50 am »
I can now get the faster stuff (to cabinet anyway). As the fibre only runs to the cabinet would they need to install anything in the house?

I get >10Mbps download already so I need to decide whether to upgrade or not. Could be useful for iPlayer/Amazon Video streaming

Yes, they put a new faceplate on your master socket and give you a rather fugly Openreach modem / brick. To be honest, I get 12-15ish Mb/s at the moment and that's fine for glitchless Amazon/Netflix. Uploads are slow though. Plus the mothership pay the bills and we have to exchange a lot of a data. Ruling puny humans is data intensive.

« Reply #455 on: 24 June, 2014, 11:08:52 am »
Now being a pensioner, I have just halved my speed with Virgin from >100mbs to 50mbs and for domestic purposes have not noticed any difference at all.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #456 on: 25 June, 2014, 01:51:27 pm »
Ooo look they've upped it again  :smug:

Am I annoying those of you on 500Kb/s?
500? When I were a lad I did remote support via 9.6k dial-up modem.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #457 on: 25 June, 2014, 02:09:39 pm »
Ooo look they've upped it again  :smug:

Am I annoying those of you on 500Kb/s?
500? When I were a lad I did remote support via 9.6k dial-up modem.

I dream of 500kbs now; 160mbs? That's immoral.

« Reply #458 on: 04 July, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »
Same as Ham.

I upgraded my Virgin bundle to get their 152Mb/s highest speed and save £13 a month on my current whack.

True to form this gives 19 MB/s (yes Bytes/s).

How on earth was I managing on 7.1 MB/s before :)

ian

« Reply #459 on: 09 July, 2014, 06:24:41 pm »
I have just upgraded to BT Infinity. Allegedly. 79-80 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up. Or so it doth estimate. I did piddle a sticker off another green BT box and added it to mine. Sorted.

Probably jinxed it now. I have in my hand a piece of paper. OK, an email. They never updated me from when I registered my interest, but the nice people from Superfast Surrey came put a piece of paper through the door and the order went through.

Don't gripe TimC, they let you play with an aeroplane. You've probably had me in the back (ed: fnarr)

Also a BT Homehub 5. Handy, as the previous one HH3 appears to have disappeared in a flurry of paint spots during the refurbishment. And it wasn't very good despite having blue lights.

TimC

« Reply #460 on: 09 July, 2014, 06:57:11 pm »
Gripe? Me? At least on the aeroplane I can get 50mb of Internet for about £15. That's rather better value than BT Internet at home, where the £16 a month gets me about 3mb of data!

ian

« Reply #461 on: 24 July, 2014, 08:05:46 pm »
And the one where ian joins the internet age.

not bad as this machine is connected to the internet pipe via a old Belkin broadband router repurposed as a switch/access point and then via powerline adaptors across our curiously wired house to the magic palace of electrical spaghetti under the stairs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #462 on: 31 August, 2014, 05:26:29 pm »

Download seems faster, upload has slowed a bit. Ping is meh.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #463 on: 02 September, 2014, 04:32:17 pm »
We've had BT "Faster" Broadband installed today. It's not "Infinity" but it's supposed to be better than bog standard ADSL. I was sceptical, since we're still a mile of copper wire away from the DSLAM, but I let my wife persuade me that we should sign up, and the engineer who came to fit the whizzy new faceplate today reckons we could get up to 40mbps downstream. Which would be phenomenal, considering we've been getting <1mbps to date.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #464 on: 02 September, 2014, 05:04:35 pm »
I thought BT 'faster' didn't get that fast. I'd be interested to see what you get once things have settled.

citoyen

« Reply #465 on: 02 September, 2014, 05:18:52 pm »
I didn't think it got that fast either. From what I've read, I was expecting we might not get much more than about 3mbps, but even that would be a significant improvement on what we've been getting up to now. I know that in theory 15-20mbps should be possible but 40mbps would be beyond my wildest dreams.

We shall see!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #466 on: 02 September, 2014, 05:26:00 pm »
I'd guess 8-10MBps.
My parents get around 10 and aren't on Infinity.
They're with BT some 5km away but they obviously have posher string in Hendon than in Edgware.
I seldom topped 2MBps in my pre-Infinity days.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #467 on: 02 September, 2014, 05:29:08 pm »
I'm with BT but not Infinity, this is what mine's currently doing
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

citoyen

« Reply #468 on: 03 September, 2014, 02:07:34 am »

Never thought I'd be so happy to achieve a D grade.  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #469 on: 03 September, 2014, 12:28:09 pm »
You ping and download seem impressive; your upload
<cough, cough!>

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #470 on: 27 September, 2014, 07:20:31 pm »
Using tethering via wifi on 3G network during evening (we don't have a landline)...

... fortunately we are due to get 4G by the end of the year at no extra cost.

TimC

« Reply #471 on: 27 September, 2014, 07:44:24 pm »
Still better than my landline 'broad'band!

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #472 on: 28 September, 2014, 07:48:05 am »
Using tethering via wifi on 3G network during evening (we don't have a landline)...

... fortunately we are due to get 4G by the end of the year at no extra cost.

This confirms what I expected, much faster download speed outside peak times...

« Reply #473 on: 01 October, 2014, 01:05:05 am »
BT you gits. Your Infinity availability checker has been saying Infinity will be available ""at the end of the month" for 18 months now but at the end of every month you change it to the end of the next month. Now you have changed it to the end of December ! You are misleading gits and have allready been kicked by the regulator for misleading advertising and you still do it !!!!!!!!!!
Not happy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #474 on: 01 October, 2014, 01:17:26 am »
BT you gits. Your Infinity availability checker has been saying Infinity will be available ""at the end of the month" for 18 months now but at the end of every month you change it to the end of the next month. Now you have changed it to the end of December ! You are misleading gits and have allready been kicked by the regulator for misleading advertising and you still do it !!!!!!!!!!
Not happy.

I remember grumbling for the same reasons!
Infinity was fine when we got it but we waited a LONG time. Our availability was put back repeatedly.
Infinity technician f*cked up our landline phone extension wiring.

Sympathies!