Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124313 times)

Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #475 on: 01 October, 2014, 01:21:13 am »
The exchange has been Infinity enabled for 2 years and we have had a new Ininity capable cab in the village for 6 months so its particularly annoying, especially as they keep mail bombing the village with offers on Infinity packages ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #476 on: 01 October, 2014, 09:57:56 am »
BT vs. Openreach. I could get no information about ours (TE was enabled years ago). The only info I got was from Surrey Online which was some funding scheme for Openreach to install FTTC for areas BT regarded as commercially unviable (I've no idea why we fell into that, I don't think we'd score highly on any index of deprivation, though admittedly some places have a bigger Waitrose than ours). Anyway there were as specific as to say that we'd have it by the end of the year. Probably.

Anyway about two months ago a new green cabinet appeared at the bottom of our hill. I called BT and said could I order Infiniti. And they said yes. Never did get anything from BT (and I signed up for the checker) just a circular from Surrey Online.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #477 on: 01 October, 2014, 10:04:38 am »

Mine is supposed to be "up to 20mbps" but I had to have it capped at 6mbps because anything faster than that and the modem kept dropping signal. Recently it started negotiating at 3mbps.

I tried a different router and got the exact same result. The shysters at BT appear to charge ~£200 for a visit if they don't find a fault, and as far as I can see there's no way of confirming whether they really didn't find a fault or whether they can sting me for the £200-odd for a "no fault found" call while quietly making a note to fix the box in the street.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #478 on: 01 October, 2014, 01:32:41 pm »
just upgraded the phone to "talkunlimited" as advertised for £8, they did it for £6.50 and increased the speed to a useful 50mb, which when tested was closer to 55mb

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #479 on: 06 October, 2014, 03:46:40 pm »
Eventually took the plunge. Previously I was getting about 6-8Mbps download, 389kbps upload.
Now on my ISP phone + fibre package at a few pence less than the old BT+ISP one...
Engineer was here this morning for about 30 minutes. Managed not to mess up the extensions and did a good job.
Took me a little longer to configure the router out of the singing dancing NAT+firewall setup into something more usable and basic...  :facepalm:

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #480 on: 06 October, 2014, 04:05:04 pm »

In my office...

« Reply #481 on: 17 October, 2014, 08:46:10 pm »

Truly pathetic.

« Reply #482 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:01:49 pm »
Over our home Wi-Fi, while Mrs B is watching streaming video (Japanese TV) on another computer . . .

It's usually faster.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #483 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:04:48 pm »
Similar to me.

« Reply #484 on: 01 November, 2014, 08:49:20 am »
Virgin offered us a freebie. We accepted.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #485 on: 05 November, 2014, 01:28:14 pm »
Yippee saw an Openreach van down b the new cabinet yesterday. Stopped and had a chat. They were wiring up a microwave transmitter to link the village to the nearest exchange specifically for high speed broadband. Seems like we might sorted relatively soon.

« Reply #486 on: 05 November, 2014, 03:23:25 pm »
Scotland is making a massive effort we saw, Harris and Lewis are being cabled up so they will next year I think it is be very high speed.

Is windybiker still around btw?

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #487 on: 05 November, 2014, 03:36:58 pm »
Our Infinity was enabled very quickly, not long after Helly's, if I remember correctly.  One of the advatages of living in a rural area*, and the government pushing it's connected villages approach.  The next village from us was one of the first places to get Infinity in North Yorkshire, and all the infrastructure had to go past our front (and back) door, so it was simple.

*This, of course is a laugh, we live < 0.5 miles from the ECML, and a ECML station, in a town that has a population of ~16,000 and is within spitting distance of the Teesside conurbation.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #488 on: 05 November, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »
Scotland is making a massive effort we saw, Harris and Lewis are being cabled up so they will next year I think it is be very high speed.

PH

I noticed that, whist riding Windy's 300 this year.
There were trenches getting dug all along the side of the road and ducting put in and giant reels of the outer sheath that fibre goes down.
At my expense, hrumph.
And we get nuffink, hrumph.

Windy still pops up from time to time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #489 on: 05 November, 2014, 04:18:55 pm »

My lapdancer & Miss von Brandenburg's Dingovision connection.  Not much better than the wet string at Larrington Towers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #490 on: 05 November, 2014, 06:44:54 pm »

PH

Yet some parts of rural Essex are unlikely even to make the Govt's 2mbs target before 2018. Hey, but it's all streets of gold in the south East, ain't it?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #491 on: 05 November, 2014, 06:49:18 pm »
Hey, but it's all streets of gold in the south East, ain't it?

IP over Golden Pavements?
Must be worth a try.

TimC

« Reply #492 on: 22 December, 2014, 11:10:34 am »
Oh, the joys of internet 50 miles from That London, the richest part of the sixth-richest country in the world.

« Reply #493 on: 22 December, 2014, 11:23:44 am »
I'm in a state of shock ! After two years of the BT infinity checker saying "next month" (and rolling over to the next month on the last day of the month) today it says yes you can have Infinity !
Flaming heck.

TimC

« Reply #494 on: 22 December, 2014, 11:27:33 am »
It'll never, ever happen where I am. :(

TimC

« Reply #495 on: 22 December, 2014, 11:41:17 am »
The result I gave above was a rare moment of almost-usability. 30 minutes later, back to normal:

And for this I pay the standard rate for a 16mb connection...

« Reply #496 on: 22 December, 2014, 12:18:37 pm »

Might do. They said that about here for ages. We are in a village with only 100 houses five miles from anywhere, they had to put up a microwave link to get us Infinity.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #497 on: 22 December, 2014, 12:36:33 pm »

PH

I've just got my installation date for FTTC confirmed as 30/01/2014 - this is semi-rural NE Scotland.
Feanor  - you should be be able to get fibre now or pretty soon, check here or the A&A checker on their order pages.

TimC

« Reply #498 on: 22 December, 2014, 03:39:42 pm »

Might do. They said that about here for ages. We are in a village with only 100 houses five miles from anywhere, they had to put up a microwave link to get us Infinity.

That's about 10 times the size of our village! We're not in any plans, ambitions or 'visions' in BT's universe to do anything beyond getting us to the Government's 2mb minimum standard. That's on the cards for sometime after 2017.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #499 on: 24 December, 2014, 06:13:47 pm »
After a five month marathon from when the cabinet officially went live (it was, but the replacement PCP wasn't). Finally got FTTC

Is not too shabby