Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124312 times)

Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #500 on: 24 December, 2014, 07:18:04 pm »
Ah, rural broadband:

:-\

« Reply #501 on: 25 December, 2014, 09:52:34 am »
That's about 10 times the size of our village! We're not in any plans, ambitions or 'visions' in BT's universe to do anything beyond getting us to the Government's 2mb minimum standard. That's on the cards for sometime after 2017.
I'm in north Essex, 2 miles outside Halstead and a mile or so from the green cabinet in the local village and my "speeds" are similar to yours. A while ago, 2 Mbps would have been a useful improvement but now, with "90% of the market having high-speed broadband" content creators are increasing their output size so that I suspect that soon it will be the case that 2mbps will be no more use than dial-up email!
I wonder if I'd be better off looking at satellite services but at the moment I know nothing about it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #502 on: 25 December, 2014, 11:35:57 am »
We were in the same position until recently - being about a mile from the cabinet, they wouldn't let us have faster internet even after they'd upgraded it. However, we now have some kind of halfway house option - not full Infinity but a much faster connection than what we had. About 18mbps, on a good day. You can only get this through BT though - our previous ISP Sky wouldn't offer us anything similar. Worth asking them if it's an option for you.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #503 on: 25 December, 2014, 02:21:53 pm »
That's about 10 times the size of our village! We're not in any plans, ambitions or 'visions' in BT's universe to do anything beyond getting us to the Government's 2mb minimum standard. That's on the cards for sometime after 2017.
I'm in north Essex, 2 miles outside Halstead and a mile or so from the green cabinet in the local village and my "speeds" are similar to yours. A while ago, 2 Mbps would have been a useful improvement but now, with "90% of the market having high-speed broadband" content creators are increasing their output size so that I suspect that soon it will be the case that 2mbps will be no more use than dial-up email!
I wonder if I'd be better off looking at satellite services but at the moment I know nothing about it.

I can't be much more than a couple of miles from you! I'm in Henny Street, and we work off the Twinstead exchange; I'm about 8km as the telephone line goes from there, and the OpenReach guys say that's about as far as a broadband signal will reliably go on an overground line. I'm a mile from Sudbury as the crow flies, but that's a different county and they can't possibly cross the boundary with their wires. Furrin, innit. The Faster Essex lot (or whatever they're called) claimed no knowledge of the fact that this corner of Essex is almost off-grid, and insisted that we already have 2mb BB. I have persuaded them that that is not the case! Whether they can get that through to BT is another matter...

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #504 on: 30 December, 2014, 11:27:31 pm »
The FTTC upgrade was completed today, small town rural Scotland :smug:

Afasoas

« Reply #505 on: 04 January, 2015, 12:28:11 pm »
Surburbia:

Although a little more in the upload department wouldn't go amiss, it's usually more than enough. What do folk with >20 Mb/s do?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #506 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:28:18 am »
Presumably they download films?  In my case, with 50Mb, I just go "blimey that software downloaded quickly".  I also now have 4G on my phone, makes absolutely no difference at all!  On 3G my upload speed was already higher than the 3-ish Mb I get at home, though.  its the upload speed I'd like to see improved, for when WeTransfer-ing photos etc..
Wombat

ian

« Reply #507 on: 05 January, 2015, 09:51:08 am »
Surburbia:

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/4032519292.png[img]

Although a little more in the upload department wouldn't go amiss, it's usually more than enough. What do folk with >20 Mb/s do?

I think it's covered by this.

I suppose you could ask the same question about any speed upgrade (I'm old enough to remember my first 28kbps modem and ye gads, we used to synchronise databases at work using overnight jobs via bonded ISDN lines). Truth is, it quickly becomes normal. Movies, computer games, etc. etc. Services will always grow to use the available bandwidth.

« Reply #508 on: 05 January, 2015, 01:54:54 pm »

Nothing special maybe but it is easily fast enough for iPlayer,etc. and 10x better than rural France which is still no faster than it was years ago.

According to BT the maximum I can get is 15Mbps unless I have FTTP when it is 330.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #509 on: 05 January, 2015, 05:21:06 pm »
rural Welsh borders, EE mobile just scraping the 3G coverage, drops to 2G at times, give s 0. 5 Mbs and 0.5 mbs up / download.

Youtube etc is a `joy` to watch in byte size clips :(
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #510 on: 12 January, 2015, 05:29:06 pm »
The nice man from Openreach came today. I gave him a cup of coffee and he gave me this:

That's with Pcolbeck junior watching a 1080p video and doing god knows what else as well. I'll try and get a test done when no one else is using the Internet tommorow.
Still thats flaming amazing considering this morning I had 2Mbps
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #511 on: 12 January, 2015, 07:13:37 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #512 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:19:50 pm »
Surburbia:

My download seems pretty fast at 47.74 Mbps today but some websitesare still really SLOW.

I seem to spend ages just waiting for small things, like newspapers, to load.

« Reply #513 on: 13 January, 2015, 05:57:51 am »
And at 5:30am with no one else streaming or playing games:

« Reply #514 on: 13 January, 2015, 07:54:19 am »
My download seems pretty fast at 47.74 Mbps today but some websitesare still really SLOW.

That's because loading websites depends on more than your raw download speed. Most newspaper website pages for example are constructed of lots of different elements located all over the place such as bits of advertising pulled in from other sites and page hit counters that are again farmed out to other organisations. When you try and load a page your computer does all sorts of things such as DNS lookups for all those sites. The page load time will be governed by how fast the DNS server you are using is and how fast all those other websites can send do their thing as well as the slowest link in the path from your ISP to all those services.
Sometimes just using a different DNS server can make things quicker. Try Googles which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 or OpenDNS at 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.222.220. Setting up a local caching DNS server can make things even quicker.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #515 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:15:21 pm »

That's because loading websites depends on more than your raw download speed. Most newspaper website pages for example are constructed of lots of different elements located all over the place such as bits of advertising pulled in from other sites and page hit counters that are again farmed out to other organisations. When you try and load a page your computer does all sorts of things such as DNS lookups for all those sites. The page load time will be governed by how fast the DNS server you are using is and how fast all those other websites can send do their thing as well as the slowest link in the path from your ISP to all those services.
Sometimes just using a different DNS server can make things quicker. Try Googles which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 or OpenDNS at 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.222.220. Setting up a local caching DNS server can make things even quicker.

Thanks! TBH I'm not really bothered by how slow a newspaper might be; I just slink back to another tab, returning when the page has loaded.

I was just pointing out that a fast BB connection can still entail waiting.

Chris S

« Reply #516 on: 24 February, 2015, 01:38:42 pm »

:thumbsup:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #517 on: 24 February, 2015, 03:28:43 pm »

Since we were one of the umpteen thousand customers that Virgin dumped cos they no longer wanted ADSL plebs, we have moved to Plusnet who were offering FTTC. With Virgin we were getting about 15 Mb/s download speeds so the move has been a success.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Chris S

« Reply #518 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:15:15 am »
Blimey - even better today!

Not bad considering I'm only paying for 40/20. The chap who came to fit the new wall plate did mention that his worksheet said to set the cabinet for 80/20, which is what he did - so could be I'm getting some free bandwidth here  :thumbsup:.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #519 on: 03 September, 2015, 11:12:35 pm »
Using free Wifi at a Premier Inn and too mean to pay extra for their 'Ultimate' wifi..

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #520 on: 06 September, 2015, 07:47:12 am »
Using free Wifi at a Premier Inn and to mean yo pay extra for their 'Ultimate' wifi..

Better than I get at home.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #521 on: 08 September, 2015, 01:07:51 am »

Not too shabby for the arse end of Abroad.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #522 on: 08 September, 2015, 02:40:21 am »

about as good as it gets on EE so called  `3G` out in stix, sometimes we go to 2G only  ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #523 on: 26 September, 2015, 07:33:22 am »

Our speeds were so shocking I got creative with a local WISP, luckily I work for a local company that owns lots of potential antenna sites so a deal was done. BT came along with Infinity 4 years later. Sod them!
BT are sharks. They fobbed us off with their cynical delaying tactics "sign up XX potential customers and we'll continue to ignore you " until the government offered the subsidies and then they swooped.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #524 on: 06 October, 2015, 06:24:18 pm »
My hotel internets are a pricy pain in the Balearics,