Author Topic: Your internet BB speed ?  (Read 124313 times)

Re: Your internet BB speed ?
« Reply #125 on: 18 December, 2010, 03:28:13 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #126 on: 28 December, 2010, 10:36:14 pm »

Something to do with the horrible crackling noises I can hear when I pick up the phone, perhaps?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #127 on: 28 December, 2010, 11:12:52 pm »
From my parents in France:

compared with mine:

Virgin (cheapest one)

Chief cat entertainer.

border-rider

« Reply #128 on: 28 December, 2010, 11:22:24 pm »

>:(

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #129 on: 28 December, 2010, 11:44:59 pm »

>:(

This must be Tewdric stepping on the hose!
Chief cat entertainer.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #130 on: 29 December, 2010, 11:01:19 am »
Well the phone line doesn't sound like someone is screwing up an empty crisp packet in my ear anymore. And the squeezebox controller isn't going bonkers waking itself up every 2 mins looking for a connection, so now I suppose I have to wait 'up to 3 days' to see if the BB speed improves.

« Reply #131 on: 29 December, 2010, 11:03:55 am »

Not too bad considering the strangling nature of the copper wires into our village. But then again it's a quiet time of year.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #132 on: 01 January, 2011, 05:02:49 pm »

Something to do with the horrible crackling noises I can hear when I pick up the phone, perhaps?

Yay! It's back from the dead, to a much more respectable 6.36, and I didn't have to phone anyone either.

« Reply #133 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:28:59 pm »

Pathetic as usual

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #134 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:36:58 pm »
Tried using a different server? I had my test set to 'none' for preferred server, it went to London and recorded 3.6Mbps compared with 2.6 when specifying the Aberdeen server.

« Reply #135 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:50:21 pm »
Our local campaign has just won in BT's Race to Infinity  ;D
We had the public announcement this morning with our MP Sir George Young, cycling baronet and Leader of the House.
BT then put the icing on the cake and awarded us £5000 to use on a community computer project.
£500 FOR COMPUTERS
and
WHAT SIR GEORGE SAID

Now trying to work out how to spend it  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #136 on: 06 January, 2011, 03:27:28 pm »
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #137 on: 23 February, 2011, 05:34:59 pm »
Holy cow - I've just had an upgrade to ADSL2+

Just have to wait for the upstream to be uncapped now.  ;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #138 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »
We're still on about 8Mb with TalkTalk.  Had something in the post for a new TT deal with "up to 24Mb BB" ('depends on line and location') speeds.  Is this possible through regular phone line connections?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #139 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:37:45 pm »
That's marketingspeak for ADSL2+

You're only likely to get 24Mb if you live in the exchange, though - it's all about line length.  If you're syncing at the full 8Mb on ADSL MAX, you'll probably benefit from changing to ADSL2+.  If not, the only real benefit is going to be the higher upstream rate.

Seriously though, TalkTalk are rubbish.

« Reply #140 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »
Seriously though, TalkTalk are rubbish.

In all fairness to Can'tTalk, their spam filtering is an improvement over Tiscali didn't provide, but other than that, they are pretty fecking useless. The connection speed has plummeted recently, and then there are the random connection drop-outs...  >:(
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #141 on: 23 February, 2011, 10:08:42 pm »
s'funny, if you go to the TT website to use the speed checker to se e what speed I could get - it says 'sorry you're already a customer'...

We've been with TT for 3yrs or so and they seem OK.  Dropouts not too bad here.  I haven't got a clue whether we're on ADSL max or not?  Do TT do ADSL2+?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #142 on: 23 February, 2011, 10:14:13 pm »
FWIW the speed checker on
    Broadband.co.uk Dedicated to finding the best broadband for you    
is probably as accurate as it gets.  I know the person who wrote it, and it includes all sorts of edge-case heuristics to make up for lack of decent data from BT.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #143 on: 08 April, 2011, 01:34:50 pm »

For which we pay a lot.

New router FTW

It is simpler than it looks.

tonycollinet

« Reply #144 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:14:32 pm »
Holy cow - I've just had an upgrade to ADSL2+

Just have to wait for the upstream to be uncapped now.  ;D :thumbsup:

And then it all went horribly pear shaped.

Still, on the bright side:

New ISP FTW. And I get that 24 hours a day, unthrottled, and unlimited.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #145 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:57:21 pm »
why did it all go pear shaped?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #146 on: 09 April, 2011, 12:02:37 am »
here in mid-Essex with Eclipse:-

i let it choose it's preferred server for the test which ended up in Dublin(!) though.  I suspect that has most effect on the ping time and fine-tuning the server used woudln't improve my other scores much...
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #147 on: 09 April, 2011, 12:08:03 am »
i let it choose it's preferred server for the test which ended up in Dublin(!) though.  I suspect that has most effect on the ping time and fine-tuning the server used woudln't improve my other scores much...

Yup...

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

tonycollinet

« Reply #148 on: 11 April, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »
why did it all go pear shaped?

12 months ago I got fed up with plusnets traffic management throttling stuff. Mainly windows updates (when I was fixing various people PC's) and some none youtube video sites just would not work without waiting ages for it to buffer.

So I complained - and was given a legacy product with minimal management - at the same price as the current offerings (actual legacy price for that product was £30/month). Great I thought.

Shortly after the regrade to adsl2+, I was charged £30 - a mistake I thought. No! The offer (not communicated to me) was only valid for 12 months. I was not willing to go onto the current products with the current management so was forced to leave. (They did offer me another year with a discount to £20 - but this was still high enough to make it worth the hassle of leaving). Glad I did - I now have 20mb/s 24 hours a day, with no download limits.

« Reply #149 on: 12 April, 2011, 01:05:00 pm »
FWIW the speed checker on
    Broadband.co.uk Dedicated to finding the best broadband for you    
is probably as accurate as it gets.  I know the person who wrote it, and it includes all sorts of edge-case heuristics to make up for lack of decent data from BT.

Just out of interest, is the result it returns the peak speed, or the speed at the end of the test?

The reason I'm asking stems from the following set of tests:

Last night, the only test on that site that actually completed (as opposed to hanging up with the download only 20% complete and the speed dial showing 8kb/s), returned a result of 0.2Mb/s download, 0.41Mb/s upload. The download part of the test took five minutes to complete, with numerous longueurs whilst the bit rate lurked at sub-dialup speeds.

By way of contrast, I ran three tests this morning, and each time the download was complete in a few seconds, returning a mean average of 0.31Mb/s download, 0.41Mb/s upload (which is still pretty poor).

I was running disk cleanup between each test this morning, and what was being cleared from the temporary internet files folder was around 0.5MB.

Assuming that the test file being downloaded last night was the same size, I can safely discount  the test result being average speed, because if that was the case, the download should have taken only 20 seconds or so!
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche