Author Topic: Actual route of TdeF stage 2  (Read 1456 times)

Actual route of TdeF stage 2
« on: 08 July, 2014, 12:33:08 am »
Is there a link to an accurate map of stage 2?  i'm particularly interested in the bit after Holme Moss.  I thought (and Paul Sherwen said at one stage) that the race would go along what we call Strines but I didn't recognise it in the Cote de Midhopestones!  I think they must have had to do a lot more twisting and turning than the usual route-maps suggest to get from there onto Bradfield and Oughtibridge climbs.

Can anyone help?

Peter

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Actual route of TdeF stage 2
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2014, 07:09:05 am »
http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-2/map

Full map

There are proper road signs showing the route as well, so anyone can ride the route in the future. Of course, certain roads are less fun when in normal use (Woodhead in particular).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2014, 09:10:31 am »
It'd make a good summer night ride.
Any takers?

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2014, 10:30:03 am »
Marcus, thanks very much for that.  It's as I suspected and they didn't do Strines.  This is a great shame as it needs re-surfacing!

Well done in the 24, by the way!

Steve, I do most of the roads quite a lot (although I usually come DOWN Ripponden Bank!) but the ride would have to finish before dawn if we (probably not you) are not to be seen WALKING up Jenkin Road!  I've never been there but I don't think I could manage 1 in 3.

Peter

« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2014, 08:54:44 pm »
I thought they went down Strines. Right after the Woodhead Pass?

I've only been there once, though, the other way and four years ago. So which one's Strines?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2014, 09:34:55 pm »
Strines is straight on, whereas they turn left on penistone road towards High bradfield etc.

Takes you back onto snake, near ladybower
Right! What's next?

« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2014, 09:39:54 pm »
Ta. I've been wrong about that for a while ;D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2014, 09:51:21 pm »
I was confused for years as there is a village called Strines on the other side of the valley where I grew up, about 30 miles from the Strines Inn, so hearing cyclists talking about Strines was all very confusing.
Right! What's next?