Author Topic: Computer troubles, keeping turning off  (Read 1976 times)

Computer troubles, keeping turning off
« on: 26 October, 2009, 10:49:53 pm »
My computer, which isnt a modern one, has been upgraded though as the years have gone on, seems to be running fine then it will just switch off.
Now, when it switches off, it switches off but the green power light stays on.
Its done it before, and its done it tonight, which was pretty annoying because the Virus scanner(AVG) was just about finished, but was taking longer then usual to scan.
Anyone got any ideas? I pulled it out when it did it tonight, done it twice, and it doesnt feel overly hot. When i touch the top it feels warm, but not really hot.
It does sometimes get pushed to the side, which will cover up the vents on the side, so could it be this and its over heating slightly?
It doesnt run slow before it turns off, it will be running as it does then just go off.
It is usually on most nights from 6-11/12 so is on for a long period of time pretty much every night.

Any suggestions, or is it just having a paddy in its old age? Ive moved it over so the side vents are getting air, or should be.

Help?

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Computer troubles, keeping turning off
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:01:02 pm »
We had a pooter that did that. I good vacuum out and new cpu heatsink/fan sorted it. Yes, it was overheating.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:09:23 pm »
Mine's being doing similar things.
Posted a fortnight ago on CC and got the same responses about hoovering and possible power supply unit problems.  Last week it wouldn't even boot up.  Whipped it out, opened her up and dust-city!  I reckon it sucks up more than the hoover!  So with trepidation, a make-up brush and the Henry I gingerely went to work and now... it runs a treat.

Definately worth a go, especially some of the heat-sinks that were fully blinded.  There's a lot of fannage inside a computer to blow around a lot of dust!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2009, 05:48:28 am »
You can get software (freeware or from the motherboard vendor) which shows you the various monitored system temperatures.

Could be dust, as suggested above - or if the 'puter is unused when it goes into standby - it may be worth checking your power settings. There may  be a sleep when unused enabled.

I, on the other hand have the opposite problem. Damn thing wont stay switched off. Disabled wake settings in the bios as far as I can find them........

« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2009, 07:29:43 am »
I downloaded Speedfan at the weekend for mine Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:47:37 am »
The computer is in use when it turns off.  Ill be using it and it just goes. Ill get it out later today and get the hoover in there, and ill make sure its not up against the bit of the desk its in, i dont think this will help.
Cheers!

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:50:10 am »
The computer is in use when it turns off.  Ill be using it and it just goes. Ill get it out later today and get the hoover in there, and ill make sure its not up against the bit of the desk its in, i dont think this will help.
Cheers!
Don't get too close with the vacuum cleaner! It'll generate loads of static which could damage the mobo and components. When it's cool get a clean, dry, paintbrush and brush everything down. Then vacuum the detritus up from the base of the case.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:50:38 am »