Author Topic: Can a Garmin connect to an Android?  (Read 12197 times)

Euan Uzami

Can a Garmin connect to an Android?
« on: 22 May, 2014, 08:38:07 pm »
If you were to use a usb cable with a micro usb one end and a mini the other, and connected a Garmin e.g. an etrex, to an Android device, would the Android be able to "see" the Garmin (as a drive)?
Has anyone actually done it? (Not really interested in guesses)

Same for an iPad?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Can a Garmin connect to an Android?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2014, 08:46:24 pm »
Not with a standard mini-micro USB lead, but an OTG cable should be able to do it.

Only basic drive mounting, I'd assume.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2014, 08:52:52 pm »
Yes, it works.
So long as the Android device supports USB OTG, and you use a USB OTG cable. And so long as the Garmin works as a mass storage device (most of the newer models do).

I've done it a few times, connecting an Asus tablet to a Forerunner 10 and an Oregon 450.
You can use a file explorer to browse the drive and copy files on and off, or there are apps to upload tracks to Garmin Connect or Strava etc.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2014, 09:12:18 am »
Yes, it works.
So long as the Android device supports USB OTG, and you use a USB OTG cable. And so long as the Garmin works as a mass storage device (most of the newer models do).

I've done it a few times, connecting an Asus tablet to a Forerunner 10 and an Oregon 450.
You can use a file explorer to browse the drive and copy files on and off, or there are apps to upload tracks to Garmin Connect or Strava etc.
ok, thanks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2014, 12:18:22 pm »
Just Works with a rooted Nexus 7 and an eTrex 30...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2014, 01:22:42 pm »
Excellent. I bet it doesn't work on an iPad does it? What with them being more proprietary and all. Although you would have thought it should because an iPad is basically touting itself as a computer in a way, so should be able to act as 'master' rather than just 'slave'.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2014, 01:26:11 pm »
I think the main issue with IOS is that it goes to extreme lengths to pretend it doesn't have a filesystem.  It would need a proprietary app, or something.

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:42:29 pm »
Slightly off topic but it looks like Garmin is trying to force everyone down their Garmin Express app route, at least on desktops. See https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?76009-Announcement-Concerning-Garmin-Connect.  They even managed to "accidentally" kill the manual upload on connect.garmin.com the other day.

This is very inconvenient for the determined Linux user.

I will seriously consider a non-Garmin solution when I replace my ageing 705 :(

Euan Uzami

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2014, 06:26:46 pm »
Do Garmin make such software in osx flavour or can't they be bothered ? Bit shite if Windows is literally a necessity.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2014, 11:05:48 pm »
You don't need to use Garmin Express. Most new Garmins work as USB mass storage devices, so you can just copy files on or off.
Garmin Express may be a bit quicker/easier if you want to upload to Garmin Connect, but you can still do a manual upload if you want.

Some of the new Garmins can upload via wifi or Bluetooth, so you would need Garmin Express for that. Yes, there is a Mac OS X version, plus similar things for Android / iOS.

« Reply #10 on: 12 February, 2016, 04:37:42 pm »
After a bit of fiddling, I have some success with an Etrex 20 and Sony Xperia (unrooted) linked with an OTG cable.  But it doesn't show the Etrex SD card.

Andrew

« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2016, 05:15:59 pm »
I use an Android app called 'Uploader' (for Garmin) from my Nexus 7 with an OTG cable to pull data off of my Edge 305. That app will load data to Connect, Strava, Endomondo and others. Most useful.

I did once build build up a Raspberry Pi, running some *nix flavour, to do the same but the app has made it redundant. Still, it was a engaging exercise.

« Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2016, 10:36:41 am »
I have an Etrex 20 and a Samsung Tab 3.

Running Android: 4.4.2

Can't get it to work even though I use an OTG cable.

I set the Etrex up as mass storage.

Tried it with the Etrex both switched on and off (I connect it to the Win laptop powered down and it takes power from the laptop via the USB connect) and no dice either way.

Cannot see either the Etrex or its inserted card on any of the file managers I have installed on the tab.

I did get one message from the tab saying that the connected device (it clearly meant the Etrex) was a high powered USB device which needed its own power source. This message may have appeared in one of my "Etrex off" tests - can't remember.

Strangely I did notice that if  tried to power up the Etrex WHILST it was actually connected to the Tablet nothing happened and it would not power up. Is this some sort of protection device within the Etrex?

If there is anything I can do to get this working I would be interested to learn about it as it would be useful in so many ways.

Also if anyone knows whether either of the following would work I'd be interested though clearly more of a fag.

1: Connecting a card reader to the tablet via the OTG cable and temporarily putting the Etrex external card in that. Is the type of card formatting an issue?

2: Just temporarily taking the extra memory card out of the Tab and slotting in the Etrex's card to make the transfer. Again, any card formatting issues? My concern with this potential method, though, apart from the sheer fiddle, is causing damage to the Tab's removable card mechanism and cover - it seems so delicate.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 19 June, 2016, 11:10:31 am »
Ensure the existing card is Unmounted before attempting option #2.

Option #1 is safer.  Garmin uses a common enough format for any decent explorer.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2016, 11:30:13 am »

I did get one message from the tab saying that the connected device (it clearly meant the Etrex) was a high powered USB device which needed its own power source. This message may have appeared in one of my "Etrex off" tests - can't remember.

That might be your problem:  Your phone is too smart. 

In my Experia, under settings/USB connectivity, I have USB connection mode set to "Media transfer mode".

What I do is connect with the Etrex switched off (and set to go to mass storage).  Using  File Commander or ES File Explorer shows the Garmin as "usbdisk" or "External USB storage".  The SD card doesn't show.

« Reply #15 on: 19 June, 2016, 12:17:54 pm »
Well it's suddenly started working.

No idea why - not aware that I changed anything.

It says that a high power USB device is connected but goes ahead and powers up the Etrex 20.

And I can then see BOTH the Garmin's internal card and the Garmin's extra card.

Haven't done any operations on any of the files as yet but if I can see them in my added file manager app plus the Samsung's internal management system  assume that I can do the basics - moving, copying etc.

Will be useful for the stuff outlined in this thread.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=70084.0