Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
On The Road / Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 08:16:16 pm »
Spookily enough I saw just the same thing last Thursday.  I think just twisted upwards rather than flipped
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Reconnecting BT Landline Cable
« Last post by Feanor on Today at 07:58:23 pm »
ADSL can just-about-work with one leg of the pair disconnected, as you have discovered.

Sounds like you have chosen the wrong white.
Yes, it does matter.
I expect there *is* a tracer colour, if you look closely enough.

The landline phone is a 2-wire system, and needs both ends to work ( like a battery needs both ends connected ).
ADSL is a bit weird and can just-about-work under the severe fault conditions you have created!

Since there are 3 other whites, then trial-and-error might be the easiest method to find out which one you need...

If you have a meter to hand, then measure the DC voltage from the orange to each white in turn. The one you want will show about 48v DC.

Otherwise, You could stick your tongue on the orange and then each of the whites in turn, that would tell you pretty sharpish which one to use...
(Don't actually do that!!...)
OT Knowledge / Re: Apostophy?
« Last post by Pickled Onion on Today at 07:52:36 pm »
Saw this story the day after contemplating the local adjacent roads “Drakes Drive” and “Admirals Walk”.

They're just about acceptable, but what about St Jamess Road?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Bluebottle on Today at 07:48:24 pm »
Eat yrself fitter - The Fall
Rides and Touring / Re: Isle of Wight Randonee - 5th May 2024
« Last post by Adam on Today at 07:34:54 pm »
I seemed to be the only rider not using the app but a paper brevet card. Not sure how the App worked when I logged into my entry email it just said "download your certificate here" even though I didn't go back up to the Wooton control at the finish having ridden up there in the morning so they didn't know I'd finished...

We turned up at the Wooton control, being our first, looked at the massive queues and decided not to bother checking in at any of the controls, and just rode the route.  In the evening I was still emailed a certificate!
I'm hoping to make it for Friday night (only, unfortunately) but was just going to turn up and see what pitch was available.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by barakta on Today at 06:35:23 pm »
<snip>
My god this is a boring load of drivel. Please accept my apologies.

I love it tho, very creative use of old paint and some creatively coloured shelves at the end of it.

Reminds me of my parents and their 1980s multi coloured Renault 4 cars (we had a red and green one, and parts were swapped between the two to make one working one).
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Reconnecting BT Landline Cable
« Last post by Martin109 on Today at 06:27:38 pm »
I have finally managed to reroute the BT landline cable, which I still need for my internet (until copper connections are discontinued in the next year), which a very lazy BT man routed years ago by drilling through the door!  The linked picture shows a white aerial cable also routed through the door, with the black BT cable below it.  All has gone satisfactorily, including drilling through 450mm of cottage stone wall to get the cable in the right place, and I have reconnected.  I am writing this on the resulting internet connection - so far so good.  However, I seem to have lost the landline phone dial tone.  The cable has 8 wires - orange (which I used), green, blue & brown, and 4 white wires, one of which was connected originally.  Having cut the cable to a new suitable length, I selected the orange wire and one of the white ones, having to do this at random as there are no twisted pairs, and the result is this internet connection.  The white wires are plain white, rather than having a little coloured stripe spiralling around them, as I've seen in ethernet cables.  Does it matter which white wire I select?  Do the white wires have any effect on the landline phone?

All a little complicated by the fact that we've been having thunderstorms here today, meaning the line is tending to drop out more than it normally does (for a few minutes every couple of days on average)!
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by Ham on Today at 06:20:51 pm »
Well, 2 x 1mm packing shims + 1 slice of cc (so about 2.75mm) under the saddle has brought it back to playable, thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10