Author Topic: Shatner and Charlie Brooker on HIGNFY now  (Read 10487 times)

Re: Shatner and Charlie Brooker on HIGNFY now
« Reply #50 on: 28 May, 2012, 07:36:31 pm »
This is the "performance" that really started the legend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQwXOCKNLY

This has a lot more street cred than Spock's musical contribution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

« Reply #51 on: 29 May, 2012, 02:56:55 pm »
Good one.  Is it mostly scripted?  I just wonder how much the host actually contributes 'off the cuff', prolly not much.

The hosts' lines are mostly scripted, as you can tell by the staring at the autocue and stodgy reading, but Shatner made plenty of brief ad-libs as well.  Everyone else is supposedly unscripted, though the captains are rumoured to see the video clips in advance.  I think they've denied it, but Paul Merton, in particular, is suspiciously quick.

Bear in mind his background in improv - he's obviously naturally a quick thinker...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #52 on: 29 May, 2012, 03:09:08 pm »
I know, but Merton's comments are often uttered the instant the clip starts playing.  Zero thinking time.  Genius or cheat?  Either way, Hignifee remains one of my all-time favourite shows.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #53 on: 29 May, 2012, 04:14:23 pm »
I know, but Merton's comments are often uttered the instant the clip starts playing.  Zero thinking time.  Genius or cheat?  Either way, Hignifee remains one of my all-time favourite shows.
Looking at the number of retakes in the extended editions, I'd guess that sometimes they're on the 3rd/4th viewing of the video by the time you get the one that makes the cut.

I actually miss Angus Deayton in the chair. He used to be able to read the jokes on the autocue convincingly. THe only other presenter who's been able to do that as well was Alexander Armstrong IMHO. The first Boris Johnson and Brian Blessed chaired ones were completely surreal though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #54 on: 29 May, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »
I don't think that any of Merton's stuff is scripted. He's just about the quickest wit around, and that's why he's got the broadcasting jobs he has.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #55 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:22:48 pm »
I'd guess the programme is heavily edited, so good though Paul Merton undoubtedly is, he isn't that good all the time.

« Reply #56 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »
I didn't think it was that funny. It wasn't bad, but it was nothing like the Bruce Forsythe one, which had me laughing till I cried.

What she said. It was fine but nothing amazing.

Re the editing, I've not seen HIGNFY live, but I've seen loads of other stuff filmed (because it's freeeee), and the majority of stuff doesn't make the cut.

simonp

« Reply #57 on: 29 May, 2012, 05:42:11 pm »
I'd guess the programme is heavily edited, so good though Paul Merton undoubtedly is, he isn't that good all the time.

Indeed. If you watch the extended version this is more obvious, because they often show repeated takes of a botched scripted piece by the host.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #58 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:40:21 pm »
Bear in mind his background in improv - he's obviously naturally a quick thinker...
Do you think improv is completely spontaneous though? I think it's like what we used to do for our language oral exams - learn to talk about a particular scenario and then shoehorn that in to what you're asked.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #59 on: 29 May, 2012, 06:48:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure he must have a stock of quick responses to certain situations - much of it is in the timing rather than in what he says. He's fantastic on Just a Minute as well, and I don't see how his interjections, with spontaneous audience response, could be convincingly edited in that scenario.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

« Reply #60 on: 29 May, 2012, 10:57:42 pm »
I'm pretty sure he must have a stock of quick responses to certain situations - much of it is in the timing rather than in what he says. He's fantastic on Just a Minute as well, and I don't see how his interjections, with spontaneous audience response, could be convincingly edited in that scenario.

Exactly.  Merton has spent the last 20 odd years in situations where he's expected to provide a humorous response on demand.  Comedians end up with finely tuned comic "muscles" and can provide a spontaneous quip (or use a filed-to-memory quip) on demand.

People all know someone who is naturally funny but I really expect that, if they sat on any of the popular panel shows, next to Paul Merton, Lee Mack, David Mitchell, Frank Skinner...and so on (any of the other 10 that seem to be on every such show), they'd not get a word in edgeways.

Of all such people I think Frank Skinner is out on his own.  I call it Comedy "Tourettes".  He seems to blurt a witty reply before the other person has finished speaking.  Lightning fast (but he could just have fast recall from a large stored repertoire).  Personally I just think Skinner has "funny bones".

So, was Bob Monkhouse witty or did he just have a good memory of his huge joke book?  To me he always seemed to be recounting a joke.

« Reply #61 on: 29 May, 2012, 11:06:33 pm »
I'd expect someone being paid £40,000 an episode to be funny. If I made that every year I'd be ecstatic. I don't watch the show regularly though, even though I've paid for it upfront.

simonp

« Reply #62 on: 30 May, 2012, 01:12:25 am »
Just watched it. One of the best for a long time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:03:33 am »
Distinctly unimpressed. Enjoyed Shatner's performance, but it wasn't great.

I can't remember a single laugh-out-loud line. I haven't watched the last couple of series - is it so dull that this episode was a stand-out? [I did watch the 12" Extended Remix, which may have been weaker - but surely they didn't take OUT any jokes?!? ]

Sorry to be a grouch, I'll leave the fans to it :(

[But Merton IS the master of the ad-libbed wise crack. Skinner may be quicker, but Merton is funnier. And Lee Mack is pretty good, not sure YACF Lee agrees ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #64 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:32:17 am »
I knew who Charlie Brooker was ...
I didn't. To me, he was a name which led me to change channel whenever I saw it, because I was pissed off by all the ridiculously over the top adulation I saw on, among other places, this forum.

But William Shatner's public visibility over the last 50 years has been so great that I'm baffled that someone of your age can not recognise him, even without having watched Star Trek. It puts me in mind of old comedy sketches in which judges ask who the Beatles are.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:36:18 am »
Shatner doesn't write for the Guardian.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #66 on: 30 May, 2012, 11:01:21 am »
Given the wide variety of people who have contributed columns for the Guardian, he may have done. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #67 on: 30 May, 2012, 11:14:14 am »
Brooker was funny before he became a father and took up running.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/06/charlie-brooker-becomes-a-runner
I'd rather see someone happy than funny in the bitter and twisted way he used to be.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #68 on: 30 May, 2012, 12:41:12 pm »
I actually miss Angus Deayton in the chair. He used to be able to read the jokes on the autocue convincingly. THe only other presenter who's been able to do that as well was Alexander Armstrong IMHO. The first Boris Johnson and Brian Blessed chaired ones were completely surreal though.

+1 to missing Deayton.  In addition to Alexander Armstrong, Jeremy Clarkson makes a pretty good job of hosting too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #69 on: 30 May, 2012, 12:48:47 pm »
Deayton was easily the best host.  But Merton (and maybe Hislop too?) never liked him, so jumped at the excuse to get him sacked after his "scandals".
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #70 on: 30 May, 2012, 12:56:40 pm »
MP has sense of humour failure! Breaking news...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-18260805

edit: Goes on to say "Of course I like a joke as much as the next person...