Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331908 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1500 on: 05 February, 2020, 11:40:00 pm »
Well, I’ve got a bit carried away, but have my (hopefully) light but warm Bivy set up sorted:

All in it weighs 1360g:
- alpkit kloke Bivy,
- Thermarest xtherm mat,
- sea to summit spark ii sleeping bag (-2 limit)
- all wrapped up in a Medium Sea to summit compression dry bag. 

So how do the actual weights compare to the advertised weights?  I'm new to the current range of bivvy gear and am interested in how low you can go in terms of weight... and cost! 
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #1501 on: 06 February, 2020, 09:06:37 am »
1) Snow Deer Electric Heated Gloves - reinforced one, seems more intiguing choice than liners or mittens
2) Midweight Hiking Sock - just in case
3) Patagonia Thermal Weight Baselayer - top and bottom, that is for my trip the Tyndal Plateau
4) ENKEEO portable power station - this is not quite camping gear, but most review website suggest these power banks as additional power backup in the woods. https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-portable-power-station/
Gonna test this item in the Summer.

« Reply #1502 on: 15 February, 2020, 10:55:55 pm »
Well, I’ve got a bit carried away, but have my (hopefully) light but warm Bivy set up sorted:

All in it weighs 1360g:
- alpkit kloke Bivy,
- Thermarest xtherm mat,
- sea to summit spark ii sleeping bag (-2 limit)
- all wrapped up in a Medium Sea to summit compression dry bag. 

So how do the actual weights compare to the advertised weights?  I'm new to the current range of bivvy gear and am interested in how low you can go in terms of weight... and cost!

Must be pretty close to spec I think, will try to weigh them soon & report back 👍

« Reply #1503 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:06:19 am »

Random things I weighed :)

- alpkit kloke Bivy, (280g)
- Thermarest xtherm mat, (448g + 16g bag)
- sea to summit spark ii sleeping bag (-2 limit) (510g + 36g bag)
- Medium Sea to summit compression dry bag.  (139g)
- Rab siltarp 1 (227g + 12g bag)
- Alpkit hunka Xl Bivy (476g)
- Sea to summit ultrasil 1l dry bag (14g)
- Exped UL 3l dry bag (15g)

« Reply #1504 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:08:52 pm »

Looks like a really lightweight set of kit!

What are your thoughts on the Kloke versus the Hunka XL, in terms of things like size, durability, etc? (I realise it's maybe a bit early to say anything definite yet. 😊)

I really like the breathability of the Kloke, as I can be quite a sweaty person and would like to avoid my down bag getting soaked in condensation. I would also like to fit a 7cm sleeping pad in there with me (c.180cm, 75-80kg) ; what's the fit like with your Thermarest, or do you put the pad under the bag?

« Reply #1505 on: 17 February, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »
What are your thoughts on the Kloke versus the Hunka XL, in terms of things like size, durability, etc? (I realise it's maybe a bit early to say anything definite yet. 😊)

I really like the breathability of the Kloke, as I can be quite a sweaty person and would like to avoid my down bag getting soaked in condensation. I would also like to fit a 7cm sleeping pad in there with me (c.180cm, 75-80kg) ; what's the fit like with your Thermarest, or do you put the pad under the bag?

Too soon to tell (not used ether for real  ::-) )

I bought the Kloke as the Hunka XL packed size just seemed too big for the intended ultra race & the draw string felt like something I'd get all tangled up with in the middle of the night!  I also fancied having both so that I can take one of the kids out in nicer weather & the Kloke was on offer.

The Kloke feels much more breathable than the Hunka.  It's certainly smaller but still has enough volume to take the mat, bag & me whilst letting the bag loft sufficiently.  I've not got a large chest, it may be too tight if you're bigger.  The Hunka XL on the other hand feels cavernous, plenty of room for mat/bag/person & wriggling.  Both have room for bags/shoes at the top or bottom.

I'll report back when I've tried them in anger (didn't fancy either of the last two weekends!)

Edit, I’m c179cm & 70kg so would think you’ll fit ok with mat inside

« Reply #1506 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:20:06 pm »

Thanks Bobby, that's really useful and a very nice selection of kit you have put together!  Good luck in your adventures :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #1507 on: 05 April, 2020, 09:42:48 pm »
Orders a SEA TO SUMMIT UltraLight Insulated Sleeping Mat.  I slept out in the garden last night to check out new gear including AEGIS MAX cheap down trousers and Boots.  These worked well but my plain air bed did not, it was cold despite 6 deg C air temp in the tent.   This was despite a couple of sit mats under the section where my hips were.  Deflating the air mat helped but not enough, hence the need for a better mat.  Current Decatlon mat is R1.6   the new mat is R 3.3 so hopefully noticeable warmer.  I may try it out next week in the garden if we have a cold spell.

P.S. Go Outdoors is 15% off at the moment.

« Reply #1508 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:54:12 am »
Sea to Summit mats are excellent.

« Reply #1509 on: 06 April, 2020, 06:25:07 am »
Been gearing up for backpacking trips this year.
Bought a Big Agnes Manzanares 2p tent on sale from the US.
Got Nemo Disco 30F sleeping back and a Nemo Cosmos sleeping on the way and now my regular store just dropped their prices on Fjallraven backpacks and I'll probably pick up one of those.
Either the Kajka 65 or Keb 72.
Still need to buy cooking gear (Probably Jet Boil, waiting to see if it goes on sale) and a sleeping bag/pad for the dog.
Most of this gear will also be used for a motorbike trip down to L.A at some point this year.

« Reply #1510 on: 06 April, 2020, 12:40:47 pm »
Still need to buy cooking gear (Probably Jet Boil, waiting to see if it goes on sale).
If your idea of cooking is boiling water and it's just for yourself - Also consider the Primus Lite+
https://www.primus.eu/primus-lite-black-p356006/

After over a decade of hard use my Jetboil needed replacing and the although there's pros and cons, the replacement Primus wins for me on size and weight.

« Reply #1511 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:35:28 pm »
Still need to buy cooking gear (Probably Jet Boil, waiting to see if it goes on sale)

The MSR Windburner stoves are much sturdier construction than the Jetboil, and the burner design is somewhat more efficient. No difference in performance in warm weather, but in cooler weather the MSR will cook faster than other stoves, thanks to the burner design. Wind protection is better on the MSR Windburner stoves, too.             

« Reply #1512 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:40:53 pm »
Still need to buy cooking gear (Probably Jet Boil, waiting to see if it goes on sale)

The MSR Windburner stoves ...           
There is a lot of choice, all I think with pros and cons, decent comparison here
https://thenextchallenge.org/jetboil-comparison-camping-stoves/

« Reply #1513 on: 06 April, 2020, 03:23:02 pm »
There is a lot of choice, all I think with pros and cons, decent comparison here
https://thenextchallenge.org/jetboil-comparison-camping-stoves/

Excellent review, the comments about wind and cold temperatures pretty well match what I've seen.

« Reply #1514 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:45:52 am »
I should have checked this thread 10 mins earlier...just ordered the Jetboil Flash 2.0 (and a Fjallraven Keb 72L backpack).

Primus stoves, however, aren't that easy to get here, whereas all my local shops stores MSR & Jetboil and offers limited warranties on pretty much everything they sell. The Jetboil was a fair bit cheaper than the MSR, so....

Now, I just need bear spray and sleeping bag for the dog...

I did pack all the current gear in my 44L and it will work... but no room for any extra gear.

« Reply #1515 on: 09 April, 2020, 12:36:57 pm »
So on Saturday I camped in the garden as a trial of new gesr with mixed success.     

AEGIS Max  Down Trousers XXXL from China, the biggest they do, fine. 
AEGIS Max Down boots.   Got sent these instead of the Down Trousers but I kept them and go a refund.  Really good, weigh almost nothing and they are very warm in my Snugpack 2 season bag and compress very small.

Lidl inflatable Lilo  Cold even with a sit mat under my hips. I'm a side sleeper.  Letting the mat down helped a bit but then I started to touch the sit mat, not Ideal.

So new Kit purchased but not tested yet.

Sea to Summit Insulated inflatable sleep Mat.
Warm gloves for sleeping in as well as a hat and Down boots(I'm nesh as the northeners say).

The aim is to have warm gear just to sit in round camp, then use my current sleeping bag, good down to about 2 deg C and the extra gear to take temperatures  to very light grass frost type temperatures.

Stay Safe  Brian

« Reply #1516 on: 11 April, 2020, 02:03:51 am »
Hanging kit for my MSR Windburner. It attaches to the stove very easily, and getting the pot on and off the burner while it's hanging is quite easy. As soon as the lockdown/social distancing is lifted, I hope to test it in the backcountry.

Shock cord for the pole on my MSR Hubba NX, installed this afternoon. The original shock cord was badly stretched out and lost its elasticity after 3 years, which is disappointing. The new cord (also made by MSR) looks much sturdier, so we'll see how long it lasts. By contrast, the shock cords in the poles on my Hilleberg Soulo look like new after 10 years or so. The reasons for Hilleberg prices become more obvious as the years go by. The MSR is a perfectly good 3 season tent, but when winter rolls around I'm glad I spent the money on the Hilleberg.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1517 on: 28 April, 2020, 10:01:48 pm »
A bivi bag
A collapsible trowel
A bigger fuel bottle for my petrol stove, given I can't buy gas at the moment

End of lockdown  here we come!

« Reply #1518 on: 01 May, 2020, 02:54:02 pm »
I purchased an inflatable pillow from Tesco this morning.

I usually just stuff a few clothes in a dry bag, and wrap it in a fleece (if I’m not wearing it). A system I’m quite happy with.

However at 75p, and being suitably small in it’s packed form I thought it would be worth a try.
Don't ask.

« Reply #1519 on: 01 May, 2020, 03:08:50 pm »
Inflatable pillows are nice, but a few clothes stuffed in a dry bag work just as well. I use an inflatable pillow in winter, when my boots are in the dry bag and in my sleeping bag, so they don't freeze overnight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1520 on: 01 May, 2020, 04:36:20 pm »
I tend to use the clothes stuffed in a dry bag to elevate my knee, so inflatable pillow is a win.  The shape's a bit more controllable, too.  My sleeping bag's stuffsack is fleece-lined, which makes a lovely pillow when filled with a cheapo inflatable (or some random clothes).

« Reply #1521 on: 02 May, 2020, 01:40:40 pm »
Having tried the folded pile of clothes, stuffsac of clothes and two different brands of inflatable pillow I have finally found my camping pillow heaven.

Thermarest compressible pillows.

Utterly awesome.  The "exped downmat" of pillows !!!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1522 on: 02 May, 2020, 05:59:49 pm »
This one is my current favourite, though it may have been a one-season thing.  Barakta was also impressed, so I bought a couple of spares.

The Thermarest one looks like next-level comfort, though perhaps a bit on the bulky side for cycle-camping or backpacking.

« Reply #1523 on: 02 May, 2020, 06:07:50 pm »
This one is my current favourite, though it may have been a one-season thing.  Barakta was also impressed, so I bought a couple of spares.
Yep, I bought one on the recommendations in that thread, used about 15 nights since and like it.
Main problem I've had with any camping pillow is getting it to stay on the mat, making a mat cover with a sleeve for the pillow has been one of my better ideas.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1524 on: 02 May, 2020, 06:21:41 pm »
If it's warm enough not to need the hood of my sleeping bag for its intended purpose, I tend to use it as a pillow restraint.  If it's cold I tend not to thrash around as much anyway.