Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333242 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #850 on: 30 October, 2016, 06:18:02 pm »
New series of Humans starts tonight. Yay!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #851 on: 31 October, 2016, 11:09:02 am »
New series of Humans starts tonight. Yay!

I watched about the first 20min (mainly the Berlin scenes). Kind of interesting. Overall I'm very pessimistic. (Probably not a fair review, as I was at best luke-warm about the first series! )

I think the main issues were covered early in the first series, and the rest was unoriginal pseudo-science + eye-candy. I predict this turning into another US-style 50-episode adventure with no real purpose or end-point (depending on how the ratings go).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #852 on: 31 October, 2016, 11:36:01 am »
I think the main issues were covered early in the first series

They've already introduced one potentially very interesting new theme in this series, but you'll have missed it if you didn't stick it through to the end - albeit a theme that's lifted from Asimov. (Though it's all so much more entertaining than Asimov's turgid prose.)

There was also a very funny scene with Josie Lawrence as a synth marriage counsellor.

And Carrie-Anne Moss is in this series too!

I predict this turning into another US-style 50-episode adventure with no real purpose or end-point (depending on how the ratings go).

Yes, that is my fear too. As a concept, it will have a limited lifespan before it descends into pure soap, so I hope they know where to end it. But I'm enjoying it so far.

And it is better than HBO's Westworld - I watched the first episode of that and found it dull dull dull. Might give it another go, to be fair - first episodes are never the best indication of how a series is going to turn out - but it really didn't grab me.

« Reply #853 on: 02 November, 2016, 10:44:48 pm »
Halfway through Ep5 of the The Fall. Nothing has happened yet.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #854 on: 03 November, 2016, 10:00:12 am »
;D

But it's all about the WAY that nothing happens. We were gripped throughout the series, even when nothing at all was happening!

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #855 on: 03 November, 2016, 11:18:12 am »
But it's all about the WAY that nothing happens. We were gripped throughout the series, even when nothing at all was happening!

(click to show/hide)

Much as it pains me to agree with anything you say, matt, I totally agree with this.

« Reply #856 on: 03 November, 2016, 01:25:36 pm »
Loving The Missing.  There's a curious mixture of obvious telegraphing and unexpected twists and turns.

« Reply #857 on: 04 November, 2016, 08:05:28 am »
;D

(click to show/hide)

MMmmMmmm. I loved the first season (apart from the giant cliffhanger), liked the second season and apart from the last episode, was bored shitless of the 3rd season.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #858 on: 04 November, 2016, 08:16:51 am »
The Expanse
I think this might be Netflix only.

If you read Larry Niven belter short stories and novels, Arthur C Clarke, Asimov, then this is like a mash-up of all those early sci fi novels. Early settlement of the solar system, mars, the asteroid belt. 

It has real physics! Space craft have thrusters, there are problems with debris fields, etc.

I meant to only watch one episode and ended up watching 3. It's not really good, but easy viewing and if you were a fan of early sci-fi, definitely compulsive viewing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #859 on: 04 November, 2016, 05:57:05 pm »
It was shown here early in the year and I liked it. Read the books, re-watched it and I now think it's the sci-fi series ever made.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #860 on: 07 November, 2016, 10:41:22 pm »
Just watched  Rich Hall's Presidential Grudge Match. Imagine that Dave Larrington had been commissioned to make a doc about the race for the White House. With lots of swearing . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

fuzzy

« Reply #861 on: 08 November, 2016, 07:57:59 am »
The Expanse

If you read Larry Niven belter short stories and novels, Arthur C Clarke, Asimov, then this is like a mash-up of all those early sci fi novels. Early settlement of the solar system, mars, the asteroid belt. 

It has real physics! Space craft have thrusters, there are problems with debris fields, etc.

I meant to only watch one episode and ended up watching 3. It's not really good, but easy viewing and if you were a fan of early sci-fi, definitely compulsive viewing.

Thanks for the heads up mr c. Started watching the other night. Very good :thumbsup:

Just watched  Rich Hall's Presidential Grudge Match. Imagine that Dave Larrington had been commissioned to make a doc about the race for the White House. With lots of swearing . . .

I watched some of this as well. Very entertaining :D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #862 on: 08 November, 2016, 11:35:05 am »

Blast, missed that!  get_iPlayer, I haz sum wurk 4 u...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #863 on: 11 November, 2016, 09:43:03 pm »
The Expanse

It's reminiscent of the martian resistance story arc in Babylon 5 - albeit with a second-rate Garibaldi[1].  20 years of CGI development and a lack of suspiciously humanoid alien races[2] only improve matters.

[1] RIP Jerry Doyle.  Bruce Willis presumably had other commitments.
[2] In fairness to Babylon 5, this was a function of budget practicalities rather than lack of imagination.  The non-humanoids, methane-breathers, etc. were there, but simply didn't get as much screen time.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #864 on: 11 November, 2016, 09:45:30 pm »
HIGNFY tonight was quite good. Worth a look on iPlayer or whatever.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #865 on: 11 November, 2016, 10:24:41 pm »
I watched some of the football.  Who on earth decided that the hard northern land of caber-tossing, pints of heavy, inedible offal delicacies and Rab C. Nesbitt should be represented by 10 men in *pink*?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #866 on: 12 November, 2016, 10:24:27 am »
I watched some of the football.  Who on earth decided that the hard northern land of caber-tossing, pints of heavy, inedible offal delicacies and Rab C. Nesbitt should be represented by 10 men in *pink*?

Well the kit was announced in Nov 2015 so the Scots have had time to get used to it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-unveil-new-tartan-home-6880383

I'd be ok with Scotland's normal kit but maybe both teams playing in white shorts was seen as a colour clash? Or maybe they just need to sell more shirts.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #867 on: 12 November, 2016, 08:39:02 pm »
Thursday, ch5, Jack Taylor.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #868 on: 14 November, 2016, 06:52:15 pm »
Just came in here to +1 to The Expanse; I'd had friends recommend it to me previously and had forgotten it was on Netflix UK now. Started the first episode Friday night... next thing I knew I'd watched the first five episodes and it was 2 in the morning. It's really rather good.

« Reply #869 on: 21 November, 2016, 11:36:00 am »
I managed to get my son watching it.

Ran out of decent things to watch on Netflix, so I've been watching Westworld. It's HBO, so expanses of flesh, but not as much gratuitous sex as you might expect.

One peculiarity; male 'guests' to Westworld drag female prostitutues off to bed on arrival. Female guests to Westworld get propositioned by female prostitutues and head off to 'bed' them. Not seen a single instance of a female guest having sex with a male Westworld 'robot' yet. Was that ruled out of the show because it was deemed a step too far?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #870 on: 21 November, 2016, 08:51:05 pm »
Just discovered two series of Horrible Histories on Netflix.

I don't care if it's "educational" or "kids telly", it's still fab.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #871 on: 22 November, 2016, 09:48:16 am »
Netflix is a treasure trove of TV.  I made the mistake, a couple of months ago, of signing up to Netflix, seemed daft not to as our TV has the app on it.

Recently we have been working through (in no real order):

Luke Cage (brilliant, best Defenders series yet)
Continuum (really good, unfortunately we are half way through series 4, the last one)
Maron (funny, if you get his humour)
American Horror Story (not really scary, but well written and acted)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #872 on: 22 November, 2016, 10:00:26 am »
Planet Earth II

It just keeps getting better. It almost defines the name of this thread.

Jaguar vs crocodile? Who will win??

Millipede-munching beetle-worms with stealth lighting modes.

Paaaaainfully cute baby monkeys learning to climb.

Dolphins that live in flooded forests 1000km from the sea.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #873 on: 22 November, 2016, 10:02:56 am »
I liked the frog protecting his babies from the wasps - that's a fearsome kick.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #874 on: 22 November, 2016, 10:36:24 am »
Planet Earth II

It just keeps getting better. It almost defines the name of this thread.

Jaguar vs crocodile? Who will win??

Millipede-munching beetle-worms with stealth lighting modes.

Paaaaainfully cute baby monkeys learning to climb.

Dolphins that live in flooded forests 1000km from the sea.

But no Um-Bongo chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime