Author Topic: PBP hi viz vest  (Read 31812 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: PBP hi viz vest
« Reply #125 on: 08 April, 2019, 06:34:16 pm »
They changed the rules a few years ago so batter power is now acceptable for all bikes. And trikes, I presume.
Batter power: what you need when it's as flat as a pancake.  :facepalm:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #126 on: 08 April, 2019, 08:45:45 pm »
They changed the rules a few years ago so batter power is now acceptable for all bikes. And trikes, I presume.

Yeah, fitting dynamos to e-bikes was getting daft.

Ah missed that as I've not read B&M marketing bumpf for a Battery light since I got a hub generator.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #127 on: 08 April, 2019, 09:53:07 pm »

Ah missed that as I've not read B&M marketing bumpf for a Battery light since I got a hub generator.

E-bike lights are honorary dynamo lights in all the ways that count (fit and forget, robust design).  And if you're going to lug a whopping great battery around, it makes sense to power the lights from it.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #128 on: 08 April, 2019, 10:36:54 pm »

E-bike lights are honorary dynamo lights in all the ways that count (fit and forget, robust design).  And if you're going to lug a whopping great battery around, it makes sense to power the lights from it.

Aye but the bumpf used to mention the 10kg limit in StVzO but no longer does, just says the battery lights comply with it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #129 on: 09 April, 2019, 01:46:48 am »

Oh? What's the logic in that?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #130 on: 09 April, 2019, 09:07:25 am »

J
Presuming you mean the logic in changing the rules to allow battery lights, I think it was just accepting reality. In technological terms, the ubiquity of the LED means you can get more light from batteries now than you could from dynamos in the past and the batteries last long enough not to be a problem. And in practical terms, everyone was using them anyway, and better to have battery lights than none. Possibly also commercial pressure from B&M in order to better access other markets?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #131 on: 09 April, 2019, 09:42:35 am »

J
Presuming you mean the logic in changing the rules to allow battery lights, I think it was just accepting reality. In technological terms, the ubiquity of the LED means you can get more light from batteries now than you could from dynamos in the past and the batteries last long enough not to be a problem. And in practical terms, everyone was using them anyway, and better to have battery lights than none. Possibly also commercial pressure from B&M in order to better access other markets?

I was actually asking about the dynamo use in very flat terrain...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #132 on: 09 April, 2019, 09:55:34 am »

J
Its a pun based on the typo

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #133 on: 09 April, 2019, 11:30:08 am »
And an excellent opportunist typo exploitation, appreciated silently (well maybe a sotto voce chuckle) by many, no doubt.

« Reply #134 on: 09 April, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »
And excellent opportunist typo exploitation, appreciated silently (well maybe a sotto voce chuckle) by many, no doubt.

Indeed it was appreciated thus!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #135 on: 09 April, 2019, 12:37:31 pm »
Pfft. I've seen batter typos than that.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #136 on: 09 April, 2019, 10:43:24 pm »
And back to batteries and dynamos ... although all my road bikes have dynamos (well, I have two dyno wheels, one black one silver, and swap as necessary for colour-coordination), my MTB does not.  I simply don't go fast enough when I'm riding it in Wales — there's no point riding it in the bit of England where I's live.  I have been VERY impressed with these cheap lights off Amanoz —

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0765SV34Z/

Gives about 7 hours on low-setting, which is actually more than enough light for relaxed road-riding, certainly in a group.  And costs less than a tenner.  And doesn't weigh enough to worry about.

I also use it riding forest trails in Wales, although I do tend to ride with a Blackburn Super Flea augmented with a Cree monster on my helmet for the technical bits.

The technology has all greatly moved on from when I had a mahoosive Specialized halogen light with four C-sized batteries to power it.  If I was starting again from scratch, I would definitely consider just battery lights and a power pack.  It's only cuz I already have dyno wheels that I'll keep using them — and the light I get from my IQ2 Cyo is superb.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #137 on: 09 April, 2019, 10:45:16 pm »
Venice 1968 implemented 1977

Interesting.  So ... French rules for French cyclists only, then?  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #138 on: 10 April, 2019, 12:41:46 am »
Venice 1968 implemented 1977

Interesting.  So ... French rules for French cyclists only, then?  :thumbsup:

Wikis---ica summary:
The vehicle must meet all technical requirements to be legal for road use in the country of registration. Any conflicting technical requirements (e.g., right-hand-drive or left-hand-drive) in the signatory country where the vehicle is being driven do not apply.

But... Cycles aren't registered...
:Shrug:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #139 on: 20 July, 2019, 10:39:46 pm »
Back on the Hi-Vis, now I'm properly planning the ride down and back (or at least train hop)
I see no mention of which class of EN ISO 20471 is required, but may have missed it...

Mesh front, solid back, class 2
https://www.hivis.co.uk/hi-vis-half-mesh-safety-vest-portwest.html

full mesh
https://www.onlinesafetysupplies.co.uk/workwear/hi-vis-clothing/hi-vis-waistcoats-and-jerkins/b-seen-hi-vis-yellow-mesh-vest/?gclid=CjwKCAjw98rpBRAuEiwALmo-ytpCPGigc9cctf0nuNgNb8U_dQQyuLWrhJch6FkktogP5fk8Ma-oRBoCXR0QAvD_BwE

Phil W

« Reply #140 on: 21 July, 2019, 08:33:23 am »
The class refers to the minimum amount of reflective material, with class 3 having the most reflective area.  Vests / gilets will be class 2 on their own, jackets / long sleeve class 3, or combine a vest with class 1 ankle reflective said you'll get an overall class 3.

In short, class 2 is what you'll expect for a gilet and will match what the PBP Gilet is. Bit like many things I doubt you'll get stopped on the way down in the dark if you are wearing a hiviz of any sort. On the way back you'll have your PBP one.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #141 on: 21 July, 2019, 09:34:16 am »
Mesh front, solid back: is that a telig?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #142 on: 21 July, 2019, 12:22:45 pm »
The class refers to the minimum amount of reflective material, with class 3 having the most reflective area.  Vests / gilets will be class 2 on their own, jackets / long sleeve class 3, or combine a vest with class 1 ankle reflective said you'll get an overall class 3.

In short, class 2 is what you'll expect for a gilet and will match what the PBP Gilet is. Bit like many things I doubt you'll get stopped on the way down in the dark if you are wearing a hiviz of any sort. On the way back you'll have your PBP one.

Aye, I knew that but confused myself last night, I was actually thinking of the lack of vertical reflective lines on the first one.
Other posters in here mentioned they found the PBP one to be problematic as they overheated in various ways with it on, hence looking for mesh ones.

« Reply #143 on: 24 July, 2019, 02:12:52 pm »
Whilst I think the PBP ones are good quality they are a bit thick/heavy (certainly the last two were). I have just bought a lightweight mesh one off fleabay £5.36 delivered and it's not bad at all:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yoko-Hi-Vis-Open-Mesh-Waistcoat-Jacket-Mens-Breathable-Lightweight-Vest-HVW120/162423449844?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

« Reply #144 on: 01 August, 2019, 10:38:49 pm »
Whilst I think the PBP ones are good quality they are a bit thick/heavy (certainly the last two were). I have just bought a lightweight mesh one off fleabay £5.36 delivered and it's not bad at all:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yoko-Hi-Vis-Open-Mesh-Waistcoat-Jacket-Mens-Breathable-Lightweight-Vest-HVW120/162423449844?
I too have bought one of these (in orange for £5.47) and am pleased with the mesh (it meets the required EN) and with a bit of tailoring and some additional velcro will do the business. The smallest size is a reasonable fit for my 39" chest. Ordered Monday: arrived Thursday. Thank you for sharing, @Dtcman.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #145 on: 01 August, 2019, 11:10:46 pm »
I too have bought one of these (in orange for £5.47) and am pleased with the mesh (it meets the required EN) and with a bit of tailoring and some additional velcro will do the business. The smallest size is a reasonable fit for my 39" chest. Ordered Monday: arrived Thursday. Thank you for sharing, @Dtcman.

Are you certified to the EN standard to make your tailoring adjustments?  The "required EN"  is on the basis of "as sold" and if you modify it it's redundant.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #146 on: 02 August, 2019, 10:17:06 am »

Are you certified to the EN standard to make your tailoring adjustments?  The "required EN"  is on the basis of "as sold" and if you modify it it's redundant.
Thank you for the laugh. Tell me, @cygnet: are you going to be on a moto acting as a commissaire on the Sunday between Senonches and Villaines checking for gilets which, through tailoring, no longer meet the requirements of the EN? This is France. This is PBP.

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
« Reply #147 on: 02 August, 2019, 07:45:03 pm »
I'm just going to use the PBP supplied vest.  It may flap and may be boil-in-the-bag but it's the vest supplied for the event.  For me this is just one part of the charm / experience ( remind me of this 2am Thursday morning ) of PBP. Oh and mine is definitely going to flap, I've lost 8kg (hopefully 10kg by Paris) since ordering

Phil W

« Reply #148 on: 02 August, 2019, 08:03:17 pm »
I've ordered the medium and realised I went large last time.  So need to keep the weight off between now and then.  It is pretty warm and works as a warm layer over just your jersey. So my jacket will be reserved for any overnight rain I guess. I do have a mesh one for the ride down and back that'll probably be with me on the ride anyway. Forecast two weeks out looking ok temp wise.

« Reply #149 on: 02 August, 2019, 08:46:03 pm »
I've ordered the medium and realised I went large last time.  So need to keep the weight off between now and then.  It is pretty warm and works as a warm layer over just your jersey. So my jacket will be reserved for any overnight rain I guess. I do have a mesh one for the ride down and back that'll probably be with me on the ride anyway. Forecast two weeks out looking ok temp wise.

I've ordered a large on the basis if it's too big I can swap with an optimist. What time is your bike check? ;D
Reine de la Fauche