Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 85737 times)

S2L

Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #125 on: 28 November, 2019, 04:19:40 pm »
The recipe for rides with a significant altitude profile is fairly simple...

1) Lose as much weight as it's sensible... it can be a pound, a stone or 5. I expect anyone wanting to "race" would want to be in a normal BMI range at the very least.

2) Work on your aerobic power output... aim for something around (or in excess of) 3 Watt/Kg.. something you can sustain for an hour

3) Look at gear ratios of less than 1:1 for steep gradients

In this order... starting from the gears is a defeating attitude

Everybody who struggle with their climbing (unless they have knee or back issues) are let down by 1), 2) or 3) ... or a combination of them

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #126 on: 28 November, 2019, 04:54:51 pm »

The recipe for rides with a significant altitude profile is fairly simple...

1) Lose as much weight as it's sensible... it can be a pound, a stone or 5. I expect anyone wanting to "race" would want to be in a normal BMI range at the very least.

Working on it, but it's hard as a side effect of the medication I have to take to not die is weight gain.

2) Work on your aerobic power output... aim for something around (or in excess of) 3 Watt/Kg.. something you can sustain for an hour

As discussed at length in a previous thread, it seems to be a general consensus that 3W/kg is just not realistic

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108743

Tho Frank suggests that climbing some mountains at 130w is plausible. Being able to do that on day 1 is one thing, doing it on day 10 is another.

3) Look at gear ratios of less than 1:1 for steep gradients

In this order... starting from the gears is a defeating attitude

No it's not. Your bike needs gears to be able to be ridden, otherwise it's a balance bike. Therefore I may as well install gears appropriate to the target use, else it's just wasting money.

Just once, I'd like you to say something positive and nice in reply to one of my posts...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

S2L

« Reply #127 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:13:25 pm »

Just once, I'd like you to say something positive and nice in reply to one of my posts...

J

Primarily, I am trying to say something true. If you prefer to hear that you can climb anything with 1.5 Watt/Kg as long as the gears are low enough, then I can say that, but I don't mean it.

When  the power is too low, the speed is also too low and you simply can't stand upright... so you go down or you gracefully climb down and walk.
Cycling at  3 km/h uphill is not easy... balance becomes an issue

On a moderately loaded bike you will need 3.5 Watt/kg to travel at 8 km/h on a 10% incline... if you have 1.75 Watt/kg then you will only travel at about 4 km/h, dangerously close to falling off. Anything beyond 10% will realistically mean walking

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #128 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:20:53 pm »

Primarily, I am trying to say something true. If you prefer to hear that you can climb anything with 1.5 Watt/Kg as long as the gears are low enough, then I can say that, but I don't mean it.

When  the power is too low, the speed is also too low and you simply can't stand upright... so you go down or you gracefully climb down and walk.
Cycling at less than 3 km/h uphill is not easy... balance becomes an issue

It was more the starting from a point of gears comment that annoyed me.

J
--

S2L

« Reply #129 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:23:40 pm »

It was more the starting from a point of gears comment that annoyed me.

J

... because gears can only help so much and don't address the real problem. You need a trike if you want to cycle uphill really slow with very small gears... with two wheels gears don't help much

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #130 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:29:22 pm »

... because gears can only help so much and don't address the real problem. You need a trike if you want to cycle uphill really slow with very small gears... with two wheels gears don't help much

But they are still something that can be really easily changed. There's no point running a 53/39 and an 11-28 cassette, when you're installing new gears anyway, it's a simple move to put in something low. To do otherwise, the inability to turn the pedals point kicks in at a much higher speed.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #131 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:29:50 pm »
With two wheels gears help down to your likely stall speed, which makes it reasonably easy to work out the bottom limit should be, as you only need to know what a reasonable cadence for balancing the bike at low speed with a b0rked knee (or equivalent) is, rather than having to get into power and mass and gradient.

So you might as well start there, on the basis that the sooner you get the bike sorted out the sooner you can train with it.

« Reply #132 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:49:19 pm »
Can I just say I'm in awe of anyone who simply attempts TCR, let alone thinks they can finish it.
Rust never sleeps

S2L

« Reply #133 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:53:39 pm »

But they are still something that can be really easily changed. There's no point running a 53/39 and an 11-28 cassette, when you're installing new gears anyway, it's a simple move to put in something low. To do otherwise, the inability to turn the pedals point kicks in at a much higher speed.

J

Of course, as long as you realise that it's not with gears that you will get up the mountains. By the look of things, you have already a remarkably low gearing set up (28 x 40, if I understand correctly?)... I am surprised you can actually use it, as I think at a reasonable cadence, the speed is probably too low to be upright.

So, that leaves you with the real issue to deal with... power to weight ratio

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #134 on: 28 November, 2019, 05:54:08 pm »
Can I just say I'm in awe of anyone who simply attempts TCR, let alone thinks they can finish it.

+1

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #135 on: 28 November, 2019, 06:22:22 pm »
Of course, as long as you realise that it's not with gears that you will get up the mountains. By the look of things, you have already a remarkably low gearing set up (28 x 40, if I understand correctly?)... I am surprised you can actually use it, as I think at a reasonable cadence, the speed is probably too low to be upright.

not sure if you are aware, but many mountain bikers are using 30x50 lowest gear and stay upright just fine, even balancing wheel slip. so while 28x40 is a very low gear there's nothing to be surprised about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #136 on: 28 November, 2019, 06:30:20 pm »
Muchly. Even if they "do it touring".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

S2L

« Reply #137 on: 28 November, 2019, 06:38:34 pm »

not sure if you are aware, but many mountain bikers are using 30x50 lowest gear and stay upright just fine, even balancing wheel slip. so while 28x40 is a very low gear there's nothing to be surprised about.

I had a mountain bike, in the days when 28 x 36 was the smallest gear... usable in very few instances, but possible on a bike with 2.5 inch tyres, no load and very wide flat bars... on 25 mm tyres, with a loaded bike and road bars?... not so sure

« Reply #138 on: 28 November, 2019, 06:45:56 pm »
I think it’s awesome you’re having another go.

Anyone prescribing a specific W/kg is telling you not to bother and that only certain body types should enter, and that sucks.

The lowest gear on my touring bike is 24x36 and it’s definitely still faster and more pleasant than walking and doesn’t feel anywhere near the lowest viable gear.

That said, focusing on very steep hills is probably less important than getting up very long, less steep hills, which I think are more numerous?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #139 on: 28 November, 2019, 06:48:12 pm »
TCR is not a time trial, it is a race against opponents.

... TCR is no different. It's not a time trial, it's a race... very different thing.
If folks don't get that point, then they don't get the spirit of the event.
Sounds to me like you don't understand time trials.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #140 on: 28 November, 2019, 07:00:22 pm »
THE SPIRIT OF THE RACE

“… whatever commentary might be shared online by spectators we are really in a contract of integrity with our peers and it’s only those who have really been there who know the nuances of what is involved…”

Mike Hall 2016

QG you are a peer. 
Do your thing. Train for Brest and the rest is all background noise.
often lost.

Phil W

« Reply #141 on: 28 November, 2019, 07:33:12 pm »

I had a mountain bike, in the days when 28 x 36 was the smallest gear... usable in very few instances, but possible on a bike with 2.5 inch tyres, no load and very wide flat bars... on 25 mm tyres, with a loaded bike and road bars?... not so sure

Hmm, 22 X 34 is Shimano's lowest gear of mountain biking from the 9 speed era. I still have that drive train on one of my bikes. That works out at .65 comparable to 30 / 50 which is .6 and 28 / 40 which is .7. Not sure where you get 28 X 36 from as I'm sure 36 on a cassette came after 9 speed.

It's perfectly usable , was so when mtn bikes were still in the 1.75"  1.95" range of tyre width, which is 44-50mm in modern parlance. Plus it was useable technical off road uphill.  If a hill was too steep you'd lift front wheel but for getting through technical uphill sections, perfect.  Sure some adventure bikes used on TCR won't be so far off those widths.

Good luck QG I'd say your gearing is fine. If you have to walk you have to walk, but by that point it'll be faster than riding anyway. 

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #142 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:34:40 pm »
As there are sufficient numbers of proper TCR riders on here, a question from a Dotwatcher.

Volunteering for a CP.  I could not contemplate entering TCRn, too old, too much a hobby cyclist, etc.  I was thinking about volunteering for a CP.  But.  Should I get a place on that, given that volunteering gets individuals brownie points for getting accepted onto a future race, would I be blocking an aspirational 'proper' rider?

I'd like to help and support.  But I would not want to deprive someone of a chance to enter.

Or am I being too sensitive?

rob

« Reply #143 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:46:53 pm »
I’ve just bought my first geared bike in, probably, 10 years.

My lowest gear is 34*28.  Should I be worried ?

« Reply #144 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:56:26 pm »
I think it’s awesome you’re having another go.

Anyone prescribing a specific W/kg is telling you not to bother and that only certain body types should enter, and that sucks.

The lowest gear on my touring bike is 24x36 and it’s definitely still faster and more pleasant than walking and doesn’t feel anywhere near the lowest viable gear.

That said, focusing on very steep hills is probably less important than getting up very long, less steep hills, which I think are more numerous?
I'm struggling to argue with the first line of that post

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #145 on: 28 November, 2019, 08:58:07 pm »

Sorry, I'm going to have to duck out of this thread, I've received a PM asking me to stop.

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments, maybe see some of you on the road.

J
--

« Reply #146 on: 28 November, 2019, 09:03:45 pm »

Sorry, I'm going to have to duck out of this thread, I've received a PM asking me to stop.

J
Tell them to sod off  ::-)

« Reply #147 on: 28 November, 2019, 09:09:35 pm »

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments, maybe see some of you on the road.

J
My bold
That'd be so cool.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #148 on: 28 November, 2019, 11:35:06 pm »
I’ve just bought my first geared bike in, probably, 10 years.

My lowest gear is 34*28.  Should I be worried ?

My first road bike was 34*28. I never carried really big loads (aside from myself...) up big chunky steep hills on it but for general riding I think it is adequate. I don't regret having moved to 34*32 though!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #149 on: 29 November, 2019, 12:02:39 am »
Good luck QG I'd say your gearing is fine. If you have to walk you have to walk, but by that point it'll be faster than riding anyway.
Absolutely! and I find in those "get off and walk" situations that it's good to consider that the small amount of time walking with the bike as being extremely beneficial for the miles that lay ahead... just keep moving :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas