Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 86040 times)

Geriatricdolan

Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #300 on: 23 December, 2020, 10:49:04 am »
So France, Italy, then a Ferry to Greece... very civilised...

I guess it appeals to those who are not keen to be chased by packs of wild dogs or find that their credit card is laughed at in a small village in the Balkans... probably a move towards a more inclusive event... possibly aspiring to gender balance, seeing that women can not only take part, but seemingly even win

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #301 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:01:33 am »
Are you saying women can only do shorter races?  That's an interesting opinion there  :-\

Also, I thought this was meant to be a race precisely for wild dog lovers.

« Reply #302 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:02:32 am »

I guess it appeals to those who are not keen to be chased by packs of wild dogs or find that their credit card is laughed at in a small village in the Balkans... probably a move towards a more inclusive event... possibly aspiring to gender balance, seeing that women can not only take part, but seemingly even win

I'm not remotely interested in sleeping in ditches riding TCR, nor do I leap on every sentiment that could be even remotely construed as misogynistic but your last sentence really has me reaching for something to slap you with.

« Reply #303 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:06:19 am »

Hmm, not sure about that.
Dogs are as bad in Greece as anywhere, and quite bad in Italy. 
Credit cards are pretty widely accepted in those small towns in the Balkans - by shops with long opening hours.  In France, you struggle to find anything and, if you do, it might not be open.
Why is not going to the Balkans more inclusive...?

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #304 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:07:15 am »
Are you saying women can only do shorter races?  That's an interesting opinion there  :-\

No, I am saying that maybe some women are put off entering TCR because it goes through countries which are not considered to be as "safe" as the Western Europe... whether that is true or not, it is a different matter.

It might even be a decision by the organisers that see France and Italy as a safer bet in times of a pandemic, with reliable data, over the Balkans which might be an unknown quantity...

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #305 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:09:31 am »

Credit cards are pretty widely accepted in those small towns in the Balkans - by shops with long opening hours.  In France, you struggle to find anything and, if you do, it might not be open.

Perception... most people who enter TCR for the first time know about France and Italy, many have been there... how many have been to the Balkans?
I've never been... it's an unknown quantity, which will attract some and put off others

« Reply #306 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:13:12 am »

As you say, there's a lot of France.  From having very briefly glanced at it yesterday, the make or break moments will be the long mandatory section in Italy (which I presume is gravel / strade bianche) and ferry choice across the Adriatic.  It'll be a shame to miss most of the Balkans though.

I think it's road.  Looks good though - 100 miles of scenic, empty lanes in the middle of Italy.

The parcours near the Stelvio is the hard one: off-road at 2750m.  No problem on a sunny day - but a different proposition at 3am in a thunderstorm. 

The ferry introduces a large element of luck, but the field will be pretty strung out by then, so it won't lead to people losing dozens of places.  The temptation will be to put in a big day or two before the ferry, rest on it, then another big two days to finish.

« Reply #307 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:17:16 am »

No, I am saying that maybe some women are put off entering TCR because it goes through countries which are not considered to be as "safe" as the Western Europe... whether that is true or not, it is a different matter.

It might even be a decision by the organisers that see France and Italy as a safer bet in times of a pandemic, with reliable data, over the Balkans which might be an unknown quantity...

Wrong on all counts, I'm afraid!

People who ride applied when they thought it was going to Burgas

Going to the Balkans isn't what puts women off - it's mainly lack of role models and confidence - on which  they have done a lot of work.

The route decision is about fewer borders.  Italy and France have not exactly been the best places during the pandemic - almost as bad as the UK!

« Reply #308 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:49:10 am »
As you say, there's a lot of France.  From having very briefly glanced at it yesterday, the make or break moments will be the long mandatory section in Italy (which I presume is gravel / strade bianche) and ferry choice across the Adriatic.  It'll be a shame to miss most of the Balkans though.

Komoot reckons that the 91.4 mile long Parcours 4 is 'Mostly well-paved surfaces and easy to ride.'  I checked a couple of sections on Streetview and agree with them.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #309 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:49:33 am »
I guess they could take a route nord for a change... finishing in Estonia... or even in Sweden if there is a way to cycle on the bridge from Denmark...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #310 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:57:00 am »
I guess they could take a route nord for a change... finishing in Estonia... or even in Sweden if there is a way to cycle on the bridge from Denmark...

There isn’t, unless putting yourself and your bike on a train qualifies.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #311 on: 23 December, 2020, 12:49:27 pm »
Just glad they have got the event off the ground.
 Im sure there was a lot of pondering about how to plan a race that is an adventure but is less likely to be scuppered by changing travel regs.
Its a bare bones outfit. Hats off to them.
Personally speaking. Something..ANYTHING  that involves cycling in a straight line after what will be nearly 2 years on 20 square miles makes me positively giddy.France though....
Balkans adds an exotic unknown element for sure but its also easy to resupply and find a bed. Everything's open 24/7.
Geri, you might want to revisit that statement. It doesn't come across at all well as it stands.
I like the "crossing of the wake" concept in Greece. (from Meteora editions)  Yup that neck of the wood was lumpy.

I'm with Frank on the staggered start concept  Its early days though and plenty of time to tweak that before race day.
There is also the parcour from the start to be released yet. It could be a circumnavigation of Brittany for all we know.
often lost.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #312 on: 23 December, 2020, 01:10:32 pm »

Geri, you might want to revisit that statement. It doesn't come across at all well as it stands.

Totally, just speaking as someone who has never been to Bosnia, Macedonia or Montenegro and has no idea what to expect...
I suppose many have a fairly good idea of they will find in Italy and France...

« Reply #313 on: 23 December, 2020, 05:48:33 pm »

There isn’t, unless putting yourself and your bike on a train qualifies.

But the Øresund ferry (Helsingør-Helsingborg) is a 20 minute crossing and looks like it runs round the clock, every twenty minutes during the day, every half hour early morning and evening, and still more than once an hour in the middle of the night. Bikes go free and most crossings are battery powered. What’s not to like?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #314 on: 23 December, 2020, 09:10:15 pm »
The route is not very inspiring.  It's basically the Orient Express route, only with a leg from Brest, a couple of kinks for controls and a mountain stage in Italy.  Sure, it's a long, challenging ride, but the TCR is supposed to be an adventure, taking you to some places you've never been before, and way out of your comfort zone - and this doesn't really do that.

To me this is still going to be an adventure. I've never cycled up a mountain before. I've not done a ride longer than 2000km before. I really like this proposed route. It's difficult, without being needlessly so.

I can sort of understand why they have done it this way but I'm not sure their thinking is right - it's not guaranteed that Schengen borders are more likely to be open than those in Eastern Europe, and if some borders are closed anywhere in Europe, it's unlikely to go ahead anyway.

The thing is the rules are about entering and leaving the EU. The only way to keep things wholly in the EU if you didn't go this way would be to include Hungary. Which previous TCR's have shown to be bloody dangerous for cyclists, and since it's got a right wing government, not safe for some riders of the TCR.

It's a bit shorter, which is significant.  They are saying 3,700km.  A fast rider (ie KA or JH) could probably do this in under a week and it is more like a week and a half rather than two weeks for a mid-pack rider such as me.  That doesn't sound much but, from my experience of doing long stuff, each extra day makes it a lot harder mentally.

I have 3800km for my route, I'm sure you could knock off 100k, but it would add a lot of up. I've very much optimised for lack of up. The 1500m peak <200km from the finish is still suboptimal, but I can't seem to find an alternative.

There's a lot of France. France is great but it's not an adventure.  It does have a lot of roads, though, as does Italy, so there are likely to be a lot more routing options than a normal TCR.

To you. A ride of this magnitude, it's an adventure. Are you suggesting that the transam is not an adventure cos it's just America?

I've not ridden in Italy below the Po Valley so that is more interesting (although it looks like there will be a slog across the Po Valley between controls 2 and 3).  Riding across Greece is kind of interesting. But lack of Balkans is what stops it from being a proper TCR IMHO.  And having a long ferry that near the end kind of spoils the race element. I did that ferry the other way when I was a student - took about 20 hours.

I've never ridden in Italy before. I'm really looking forward to it.

I am pleased not to have to do that long, rough descent in Romania, and deal with Romanian drivers altogether. But Italians are pretty bad for close passes.

The prospect of the Romanian bit did not instil me with joy.

But having the start in France is clearly not a good idea - groups of 20 staggered at 30 min intervals.   So if there are 300 the last group would be 7 hours behind the first! A TT-style start with 1 minute intervals would be better from a distancing point of view and only take 5 hours.  Or cut it to 30 seconds and have pairs going together - get everyone off on their own in a couple of hours.

This does make sense.

Lots of gushing on Facebook from newbies who applaud anything, but I've heard of a few people thinking about giving it a miss. Chris White made an interesting suggestion - get inside the time limit without using the ferry.  Looks a bit tough though, I had a quick look on the map and it seems to add 1000-1200km.

I'm clearly a newbie that will applaud anything. This route feels a lot more comfortable than the previous version. It's going to be tough, it will be a challenge, for me it will be an adventure, but it won't be gratuitously hard for the sake of it. I'm of the view that the distance is the challenge, putting in very steep, or very big, or very big and very steep hills just for the sake of it seems to defeat the purpose. That and anything you can't ride on a road bike.

Just looked at ferries and they have got quicker since the 80s.  There are a few, taking from 7.5 to 16 hours

The ferries are going to be interesting, cos if you just miss one in Bari, then you could do the 100k to Brindisi and get the one from there... I like the idea of rest before the final 400k sprint to the finish. I can see the ferry equalising things a bit, with riders at the pointy end bunching, before the aforementioned sprint.

Putting aside the blatant misogyny of your statement, it's worth noting that all those riding this version signed up for a version that involved the Balkans, and Romanian gravel. So in that respect the attracting people to ride it aspect isn't there.

If last year, this route, and the original route, had been offered as a choice, I would choose the France/Italy/Greece route, it's closer to my comfort zone, whilst still being just out side of it. It's worth noting that Hungary is not a safe place for LGBT+ people to visit, and Romania is moving that way with some of it's recent moves.

Not everyone who rides the TCR is a straight white man, and this should be taken into account when choosing routes.

Credit cards worked better in Serbia and Croatia than they do in .NL... fscking maestro... That said, my big issue in Bulgaria was finding anything to eat in the first 200k of the Parcour. None of the population centres (well villages...) it passed through had any shops or cafes. I managed to buy a coke and some crisps in one village, but that was about it. People at the pointy end were through quick enough not to be a problem, I was half the speed of the pointy end, and first place to really resupply was the gas station at the end of the Parcour. The bits of Serbia and Croatia that I rode, I had no issue finding stuff to eat.

There is certainly a perception by many that the Balkans is not as safe a place to travel as Italy is if you are not a straight white man.

I would not enter a race that went though Hungary.

Perception... most people who enter TCR for the first time know about France and Italy, many have been there... how many have been to the Balkans?
I've never been... it's an unknown quantity, which will attract some and put off others

I've cycled in Serbia, I've cycled in Croatia. I've not cycled in Italy, and I've only done a little bit of France...

I'm not certain, but I would imagine that with Nordkap-Terrifa, going North to South, and the NC4K going South to North, another race going North seems... excessive.

Also large parts of Poland are now a no-go zone for LGBT+ persons, and as such would not be suitable as an accessible race.

I appreciate I'm a gushing newbie in all this, but I really like the new proposed route. CP3 looks brutal, but also short, a challenge without being impossible. I'm looking forward to it. It'll be an adventure. I've never cycled over mountains or through the south of France before, or in Italy.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #315 on: 23 December, 2020, 09:29:09 pm »

The CP3 parcour is going to be interesting. This is with it plotted East to West. My plan is West to East... but looking at the 3d render, I am questioning my plan... what do I prefer, carrying my bike up a steep goat track, or riding it down a steep goat track...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #316 on: 23 December, 2020, 10:18:57 pm »
I think I broke veloviewer... it thinks that if you do CP3 west -> East, there's a 139% incline at one point...

J
--

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #317 on: 24 December, 2020, 01:13:39 am »
Funnily enough, none of the lesbian or gay cyclists I know look distinctly lesbian or gay while riding.  You're probably doing the race wrong if you stop long enough to chat up your preferred gender of local resident.

I'm fairly sure  the Hungary avoidance is because most of the roads ban cyclists.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #318 on: 24 December, 2020, 01:49:29 am »
Funnily enough, none of the lesbian or gay cyclists I know look distinctly lesbian or gay while riding.  You're probably doing the race wrong if you stop long enough to chat up your preferred gender of local resident.

I'm fairly sure  the Hungary avoidance is because most of the roads ban cyclists.

Until you're hit by a truck, end up in hospital and they deny your next of kin access because they don't recognise the relationship...

While riding they might not. But when you're sufficiently butch it can be a problem with bigots when you stop. It's not a problem while riding. It's the times you're not riding that are an issue.

Also there's more than just lesbians and gays in the LGBT+ community that ride bikes. If any trans riders want to do the TCR, it's going to be a problem in Hungary and Poland if either end up on the route.

I have a wedding ring i carry when travelling. I have a backstory of a husband back home, because actually, while stopped for food or drink, men can and do try to hit on women. You don't want to make the mistake of saying "that's lovely, but I have a wife/girlfriend waiting for me at home". I have ready the alternative. "I have a husband in .NL. his name is <redacted>, he's a doctor". It's worked the few times I've needed to use it. I have needed to use it.

I have a friend who rides bikes. She's a 1.8m tall cis woman, has a shaved head, and fits everyone's definition of Butch Dyke. She is frequently harassed using ladies toilets. Do you think she'd be safe riding in Hungary? Or Poland?

The people you know are sufficiently straight cis passing that it's not an issue, lucky sods.. Not all of us are so lucky. I'm on the Butch end of the spectrum. I live in fear of being harassed by homophobes.

Avoiding Hungary cos the roads suck is a good reason. The fact that it's not safe for some people who ride the TCR to even enter the country, is also a very good reason to avoid it.

J
--

« Reply #319 on: 24 December, 2020, 06:45:56 am »
It's a long, challenging ride, but the TCR is supposed to be an adventure, taking you to some places you've never been before, and way out of your comfort zone - and this doesn't really do that.

This route feels a lot more comfortable than the previous version ...

...it's closer to my comfort zone

Looks like we are basically saying the same thing!

« Reply #320 on: 24 December, 2020, 06:55:16 am »
Regarding Hungary, it has been on TCR routes in recent years and there is guidance on routing in the country in the manual so it is clear there is no veto on going there.  The reason they haven't routed there is that Romania is not in Schengen - so there would be border controls wherever you went to the south.

As I said before, we saw border controls spring up within Schengen pretty quickly back in March, so I'm not sure that it means much, but that's clearly the reason.

A basic principle of travel is that you are a guest in someone else's country and you have to take it on those terms, and fit in with their values, their dress codes, their laws, etc. 

« Reply #321 on: 24 December, 2020, 07:12:20 am »

The ferries are going to be interesting, cos if you just miss one in Bari, then you could do the 100k to Brindisi and get the one from there... I like the idea of rest before the final 400k sprint to the finish. I can see the ferry equalising things a bit, with riders at the pointy end bunching, before the aforementioned sprint.

The ferries are basically a lot of stress.  Especially when they open up other routes, which will likely happen if the race is able to go ahead at all.  Partially this is my comfort zone, in that I don't like to have to make complex decisions when riding but it's not entirely that.

Firstly you have to make a call when you make a booking.  If you make the booking early, more likely to get the wrong time.  Leave it late and there might not be space.

When you've made it you have a hard deadline which = stress. 

How does the check-in process work?  How long do you need to allow?  More stress.

One approach is to throw money at the problem and make 3 or 4 bookings to be sure of the optimal crossing, but that would be expensive and not open to all riders. 

What will actually happen is that a lot of riders will get their partners to do the booking for them.  Mostly these are not bad people and will probably otherwise obey the rules, but this kind of complex decision creates circumstances which invite cheating into the race.

Missing a ferry in Bari and riding 6-7 hours to Brindisi is unlikely to be a winning strategy.

« Reply #322 on: 24 December, 2020, 07:31:46 am »

The CP3 parcour is going to be interesting. This is with it plotted East to West. My plan is West to East... but looking at the 3d render, I am questioning my plan... what do I prefer, carrying my bike up a steep goat track, or riding it down a steep goat track...

J

I'm not a fan of the big off-road sections. 

Again, I accept that it is partly my comfort zone.  I appreciate that they are very pretty (especially if you get there in daylight) and they are, in principle, a good test of bike handling skills, but I think there are serious safety issues with them. 

They are great for someone who knows what they are doing to ride on a mountain bike, on a sunny day.  But there will be lots of people with little off-road experience riding them on the wrong bikes with the wrong tyres, with luggage which impairs bike handling who will be going up regardless of the weather and time of day but with inadequate clothing if the weather turns bad - as it does at 2750m - especially at night.  With a high col on road, you can get back down to safety if the weather closes in, but on one of these you are stuck.   

FWIW these sections were not part of the race when Mike ran it, other than the Strada dell'Assietta in 2015, which he put in because Ultan Coyle was riding a TT bike.  When I did it in 2016 it was possible to ride entirely on tarmac.   

« Reply #323 on: 24 December, 2020, 08:39:51 am »

J

I'm not a fan of the big off-road sections. 

Again, I accept that it is partly my comfort zone.  I appreciate that they are very pretty (especially if you get there in daylight) and they are, in principle, a good test of bike handling skills, but I think there are serious safety issues with them. 

They are great for someone who knows what they are doing to ride on a mountain bike, on a sunny day.  But there will be lots of people with little off-road experience riding them on the wrong bikes with the wrong tyres, with luggage which impairs bike handling who will be going up regardless of the weather and time of day but with inadequate clothing if the weather turns bad - as it does at 2750m - especially at night.  With a high col on road, you can get back down to safety if the weather closes in, but on one of these you are stuck.   

FWIW these sections were not part of the race when Mike ran it, other than the Strada dell'Assietta in 2015, which he put in because Ultan Coyle was riding a TT bike.  When I did it in 2016 it was possible to ride entirely on tarmac.

Regarding these concerns, I was more concerned with the location of controls in the past years, the one on top of the Transfagarasan, leading to riders riding over the bear infested northern slopes during ear dinner time and the one forcing riders to ride through landmine infested parts of Croatia. After both those years I have my doubts about the TCR's safety concept.

« Reply #324 on: 24 December, 2020, 09:32:07 am »

Regarding these concerns, I was more concerned with the location of controls in the past years, the one on top of the Transfagarasan, leading to riders riding over the bear infested northern slopes during ear dinner time and the one forcing riders to ride through landmine infested parts of Croatia. After both those years I have my doubts about the TCR's safety concept.

This year plan A was to use the Transalpina pass with an all off-road descent, so all of the mountain track risk + bears + Romanian rather than Italian emergency back up if things go wrong!  I really wasn't keen on that.

I rode through Croatia in 2016: Otocac, Vrhovine and on to Bihac in Bosnia.  It was a shock to see burnt out houses and bullet holes in buildings in the town centres, but I didn't feel there was special danger in what I was doing.  The route was all on roads. I certainly didn't go wandering off the road into fields or on tracks.  I know you have personal experience of the Balkan war zones so your perspective is extremely relevant.  Was I missing something?