Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81703 times)

Re: Southend Football
« Reply #50 on: 29 April, 2014, 07:00:34 am »
I'm hoping that York manage to win the play-offs and get promoted. Unlikely but they have made it into the old third division before. It would make my cousins very happy as well as they are football mad and members of the supporters club (one of them is a sports journalist).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 03 May, 2014, 05:09:47 pm »
Southend's results against the rest of the top 7 make interesting reading:

P 12 W 6 D 4 L 2 F 17 A 8. Including the FA Cup that is P 13 W7 F20 A 9 as they beat Chesterfield 3 - 1 away. Scunthorpe were the only team who got the better of Southend over both matches, drawing 2 - 2 and Southend losing 1 - 0 at home.

All of which goes to show that Southend were not very good at putting away supposedly "lesser" opposition.

They have finished in 5th place so, if I understand it correctly, they have to play Burton again in the play-offs (they beat them 1 - 0 today - if ever there was a pointless fixture today's was it). York will have to play Fleetwood.

Since Southend have already beaten Burton 1 - 0 twice this season you can almost guarantee the score when they play in the playoffs - Burton will win 1 - 0!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #52 on: 14 May, 2014, 07:39:49 pm »
The Match of the Century takes place on Saturday.

The Graun, curiously, have published the kick-off time as 08.00 EDT, which my consultants tell me stands for "Eastern Daylight Time" and is a USanian invention.

I can't think that the denizens of Delaware, New Hampshire and Vermont will be especially interested in either the Bleeders or Burton Albion.

For those of us who enjoy East of England Daylight Time, the kick-off has been published as 12.00 noon. I was under the impression that there were 5 hours between us and the East Coast of the US of A at this time of year.

Whichever it is, I shall be out riding my bicycle at the critical hour.

Prediction: Burton to win 1 - 0.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #53 on: 17 May, 2014, 07:31:59 pm »
I didn't realise that this play-off was over two legs and that Burton had already won 1 - 0 in Burton. 2 - 2 today at Roots Hall so the Bleeders are on the Fourth Division again next season, as are York, who lost to Fleetwood, it seems.

« Reply #54 on: 17 May, 2014, 09:18:14 pm »
Yes we did.1:0 at home then 0:0 away at Fleetwood.

Never mind I'm just amazed we actually got to the playoffs after the disaster that was last season and the beginning of this one.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #55 on: 17 May, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »
I regard it as a good result for the future of Southend United. I'm sure the club wouldn't survive a move to an out of town 20,000 seat stadium.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #56 on: 22 November, 2014, 06:26:33 pm »
I have been in catch-up mode with the Bleeders' results today. They are no longer on their way to Wembley (they shall not be moved etc.), at least, via the FA Cup, having been unceremoniously dumped out in the first round by Chester. They are, however, not at all far from the top of the Fourth Division, and have today recorded their third consecutive league win.

« Reply #57 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:44:30 am »
And York City are having a disastrous season. Will be lucky to avoid the drop at this rate. The ups and downs of football in the lower leagues eh.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #58 on: 28 March, 2015, 06:45:15 pm »
A progress report, with 9 matches still to go.

Southend are in 5th place in League Division 4 (AKA "League 2"). They have 10 points to catch up if they are to finish in the top 3 and gain an automatic promotion. They are 6 points ahead of Luton, who are outside the play-off places. The most likely outcome, I feel, is that Southend will be in the play-offs against Bury, Newport County and Plymouth Argyle.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #59 on: 28 March, 2015, 06:54:56 pm »
Than you for that report.  It will not have escaped your notice that the club who two months ago were bottom of that division, by 10 points, have now won four games in succession and are no longer bottom.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #60 on: 28 March, 2015, 07:05:17 pm »
I'm afraid that you are wrong, Basil, and that did escape my notice. Having had my attention drawn to it, however, I feel it would be churlish in the extreme for me not to offer you hearty congratulations for your major contribution to the Monkeyhangers' cause. Well done!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #61 on: 28 March, 2015, 07:09:12 pm »
Thank you.  Yes, it's been hard work taking a look at the results now and then when I remember to.

« Reply #62 on: 29 March, 2015, 12:24:50 am »
Don't worry, Bas, I look for you and I'm getting pretty excited.  Dale doing well, too.  Wow, if you think you'll be playing Bury again, you'd better take your snorkels.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #63 on: 29 March, 2015, 09:27:12 am »
I won't be playing anyone - not at football at least.

« Reply #64 on: 29 March, 2015, 10:11:41 am »
If yesterday's abandonment is a guide, you'd need a snorkel in Bury, even for chess.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #65 on: 29 March, 2015, 11:45:02 am »
"It rained and it rained for a fortnight
Till folks to their roofs had to climb.
They said 'twas the rottenest summer
That Bury 'ad 'ad for some time."

« Reply #66 on: 29 March, 2015, 01:48:57 pm »
Must've been bad, then!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #67 on: 02 April, 2015, 10:36:21 pm »
Southend's keeper, Daniel Bentley, has been named in MOTD magazine's Dream Team - League Two version.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #68 on: 06 April, 2015, 05:11:03 pm »
Bugger!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #69 on: 06 April, 2015, 06:16:44 pm »
Quite.

A favourable set of results for Southend today. Their win over Hartlepool was probably a form result, but two late goals sank Bury, who had been leading against Morecambe. Southend now have an 8-point cushion to stay in the play-offs and are now 5 points behind Wycombe, who lost to leaders Burton Albion. Southend have a game in hand over Wycombe, but the latter's goal difference is 8 better than Southend's.

Interesting.

« Reply #70 on: 07 April, 2015, 12:54:46 am »
I'm with you on this one, Bas!

« Reply #71 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:08:37 am »
Quite.

A favourable set of results for Southend today. Their win over Hartlepool was probably a form result, but two late goals sank Bury, who had been leading against Morecambe. Southend now have an 8-point cushion to stay in the play-offs and are now 5 points behind Wycombe, who lost to leaders Burton Albion. Southend have a game in hand over Wycombe, but the latter's goal difference is 8 better than Southend's.

Interesting.

As you have an 8 point cushion could you possibly see your way to letting Tranmere win next weekend?

They really really need the points :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #72 on: 07 April, 2015, 10:53:25 pm »
It's not me, I won't be playing.

You have to recall that I take an interest in Southend from an entirely political perspective. Their manager is a nefarious individual to say the least. For quitea few years he has been trying to make a load of dosh through closing Southend's current stadium (capacity 12000ish) and open a 22000 seat stadium ont of town. He then wants to sell the old ground for a supermarket to be built on it.

It a horrendous idea. Southend's crowd is normally about 4000. The ground is within easy walking distance of lots of terraced housing. If he gets his way it will kill the club. If ever there is talk of them being promoted then the proposed new ground rears its ugly head again. I want them to stay pretty much where they are.

« Reply #73 on: 08 April, 2015, 12:30:04 am »
I don't think you need to worry, too much!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #74 on: 08 April, 2015, 12:40:56 am »
They have a 1 in 4 chance of winning the play-offs. They seem to get into them every year. One year they will win them and get promoted.