Author Topic: Strava  (Read 61778 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Strava
« Reply #225 on: 21 May, 2020, 01:02:44 pm »
It does look better in the new version.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #226 on: 21 May, 2020, 01:11:05 pm »
I'll pass thanks.

I don't mind paying developers for good applications (gpxeditor.co.uk, veloviewer, etc) but Strava is a VC funded company that's more concerned about making the founders rich (and they've taken a fair amount out of the company over the years) than anything else (including not abusing their users' data).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #227 on: 21 May, 2020, 02:54:28 pm »
The training log going is mildly annoying, I did used to look at that a lot to tally up my running, cycling and swimming.

Guess this is just going to encourage me to work on my own version of fitness analysis stuff.

Golden Cheetah is what I use, plus a spreadsheet for total miles, Eddington numbers, monthly records, etc etc

« Reply #228 on: 21 May, 2020, 02:54:47 pm »
The training log is now subscription only. I think that is a nice way of seeing what I've done over the last few weeks, including running/walking/cycling, and getting weekly totals etc. Can still get the training calendar, but its not as useful.
Maybe I will subscribe.

This is the only annoying change for me.

« Reply #229 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:06:22 pm »
The training log going is mildly annoying, I did used to look at that a lot to tally up my running, cycling and swimming.

Guess this is just going to encourage me to work on my own version of fitness analysis stuff.

Golden Cheetah is what I use, plus a spreadsheet for total miles, Eddington numbers, monthly records, etc etc

Yep, I use Golden Cheetah too. I want something that does everything I do in one place. Golden Cheetah alone doesn't do that. Strava alone doesn't do it. Garmin Connect alone doesn't do it. Runalyze alone doesn't do it. etc.

At the moment stuff gets grabbed out of various tools and collated in one spreadsheet but there's no reason why it can't all be populated from my own analysis of .fit and .gpx files.

« Reply #230 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:32:35 pm »
The total for the month going is a pita. Il probably sign up. I don't want to use it for plotting routes. It's very much start it up and stick it in my running bag. I like the social aspects as my friends can see what I've done

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #231 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:40:17 pm »
The total for the month going is a pita.
If you join a monthly challenge, you can check the totals for that.

Davef

« Reply #232 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:31:16 am »
There is still a year to date figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #233 on: 22 May, 2020, 07:05:40 am »
It's a good opportunity to look for alternatives which might meet needs better. 

I use Strava and the training log is one of the features I liked, but I didn't really care about the social media side of it so - while I am very happy to pay for something - I feel that, with Strava, I don't want the main thing they are offering.

I also have training log equivalents in both Trainerroad and Intervals.icu - but they both sync data from Strava.  I wonder if they will still work...?  I guess I'll find out on Sunday!

« Reply #234 on: 22 May, 2020, 02:40:36 pm »
I'm hedging my bets that Strava will u-turn on some of the features going to subscription only. The recent details of how little runway they have left means they might be in for short term gains (scaring people into subscribing to help the company keep afloat) but that generally won't work out in the longer term for them.

Once the MAU[1] stats start to drop then any future potential investors will be scared off or they'll be going in with some very low offers (in terms of investment) or high demands (in terms of equity).

Not many companies manage to escape intact from a death spiral like this but it's not unheard of.

Increasing desparation. Fire sale. Gobbled up cheaply by an competitor to acquire a cheap userbase and the IP (mostly patents) and branding. Doesn't end well for the employees (or the users/customers).

1. Monthly Active Users

Davef

« Reply #235 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:32:00 pm »
Thanks for the settings / download all my data hint up above.

I am now writing a little utility to convert the downloaded zip into a list of veloviewer tiles. Just need to work out why it is crashing on the activities that are .fit files.

« Reply #236 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:35:26 pm »
I predict the number of people who will ragequit as a result of amount to 0.00001% of the userbase. The rest will continue using it and all its shonky features as normal.

That does mean no positive effect on revenue. They'll muddle on until the next harebrained pivot, or the money runs out.

« Reply #237 on: 22 May, 2020, 05:51:47 pm »
May have been better for them to have gone three tier... 

£0 for the new revised free functionality
£1.5/month  previously free functionality, plus a bone or two e.g. personal heat map
£4/mth current full sub for full.

I'm not paying £48 pa to get the lost features.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #238 on: 22 May, 2020, 05:58:06 pm »

£1.5/month  previously free functionality, plus a bone e.g. personal heat map
£4 current full sub for all features.

I'd sign up for middle tier without thinking about it.

There are a number of small improvements I'd want before shelling out for the top tier.

Too much focus on cycling and running. Just roll out same features for other sports ffs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #239 on: 22 May, 2020, 05:58:50 pm »

£1.5/month  previously free functionality, plus a bone or two e.g. personal heat map
£4/mth current full sub for full.

They used to have free, plus paid, then they rebranded paid as summit, with 3 levels of summit, and it confused people
and now they have just the free and paid thing again.

I Do wonder if pricing it closer to the price of a coffee and then being able to market it as "all this for the price of a morning coffee" would work better.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #240 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:01:42 pm »
Yeah, I'd be more inclined to pay for a middle tier rate.

« Reply #241 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:03:32 pm »
I Do wonder if pricing it closer to the price of a coffee and then being able to market it as "all this for the price of a morning coffee" would work better.

The problem with the "price of a morning coffee" stuff is that you're soon buying 27 morning coffees a month (Strava, Spotify, etc, etc, etc) and not getting a single actual real morning coffee.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #242 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:14:28 pm »

The problem with the "price of a morning coffee" stuff is that you're soon buying 27 morning coffees a month (Strava, Spotify, etc, etc, etc) and not getting a single actual real morning coffee.

Well yes, also I don't actually get a morning coffee.

But you could change it to "price of an energy bar" if you're targeting triathletes.

When lockdown kicked in I came across a youtube video on "ways to save money for the lockdown" and their first step was to cancel netflix, and all the other media subscriptions. To which I just found myself thinking "Wait, you expect me to be stuck in doors without access to something to watch?"

That said I am annoyed at the fact that some series are exclusive to a single platform. I don't want to have to pay for Netflix and Hulu and Disney+ and and and and. The point of netflix was to get everything, for a single monthly payment.

This is one of the nice things about komoot. Pay once. I paid over a year ago, and thus not had to worry since. I wonder how viable that is in the long run tho.

Sorry, I'm ranting...

J
--

« Reply #243 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:21:03 pm »
From what I've heard from people who've experimented with different strategies and pricing in their apps, there are people who'll pay and people who won't. The price itself is largely irrelevant.

Making it cheaper or offering a cheaper tier usually just means losing out on money from people who've already gotten over the massive psychological hump of deciding to pay.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #244 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:22:27 pm »
The problem with the only the cost of an expensive coffee is I wouldn't buy a £4 coffee and only take a sip.

« Reply #245 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:45:58 pm »
Sorry, I'm ranting...

You can take coffee (I drink supermarket own brand instant decaff that works out at £0.04/mug) and even TV (I think I've watched 3 hours of TV in the last 2 weeks) but we all have our vices and you can prize booze out of my cold dead hands.

I used to marvel at a colleague who would spend £7.50 a day on coffee in the office (and that's at subsidised canteen prices). If I put that money aside for 10 years I'd be able to pay my mortgage off a year early. But then I probably spend ~£2k/year in a pubs on booze.

It's funny though, Strava at £4/month isn't that expensive at all, yet there's something about Strava that makes me go "nope, not paying for that". I think it's because it just represents the world of Silicon Valley, VC funding, a relentless pursuit of money/growth/market-share and the inequality of it all that I find abhorrent.

1. Which I hypocritically have personally benefited from quite nicely in my life.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #246 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:34:01 pm »
I don't want to have to pay for Netflix and Hulu and Disney+ and and and and. The point of netflix was to get everything, for a single monthly payment.

Aye, as far as I'm concerned RWGPS, Strava and Komoot are all providing a similar product and I've picked the one that fits my needs best to pay for.

It's just the same for cloud drive + stuff; I used to use Google, they binned the tool I used most so I shopped around and found that MS gave a much better deal (And got decent office software to boot (I use access and outlook a fair bit))

I still buys DVDs though...

Also Coffee smells, looks and tastes like mud, so I'll stick with downing a ridiculous amount of Coke zero ta.

Davef

« Reply #247 on: 22 May, 2020, 10:03:16 pm »
I have had a go with the new strava route planner. It looks prettier than the old one, but seems a nightmare. I will be stopping my free trial.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #248 on: 23 May, 2020, 01:03:00 am »
I have had a go with the new strava route planner. It looks prettier than the old one, but seems a nightmare. I will be stopping my free trial.

Oh? In what way? It seems to be work just as well as it ever did for me. Zoom in/out with a keyboard shortcut is a bit aggressive, but otherwise, the only thing I notice is my veloviewer extension doesn't work, and the map is a different colour. Otherwise, it works just fine.

J
--

« Reply #249 on: 23 May, 2020, 01:15:17 am »
Clicking around it I didn't manage to confuse and get a broken half-segment and an unsaveable corrupt route, which was very easy with the previous iteration.

Although it is really the same thing with a tiny amount of surface type awareness, although it simplifies whatever underlying data there is to "paved", "dirt" and "unknown", which isn't terribly useful.