Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195728 times)

Brakeless

• Brakeless
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #1100 on: 10 July, 2018, 05:57:54 pm »
I can only echo the above post. As amazing as the weather and the scenery was the effort put in by Andy, Gail and John. There really isn't enough praise that can be heaped upon them.

« Reply #1101 on: 10 July, 2018, 08:59:49 pm »
 Spending (most of) the days in largely self-indulgent MP1K Audax pursuits...Andy, Gail and John efforts put the event in noble perspective. Cheers!

« Reply #1102 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:35:08 pm »
Mine host at the Sedbergh central control - Gail - waiting for the first in on Sunday afternoon.
https://ibb.co/ctLO2T

« Reply #1103 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:22:27 pm »
Mine host at the Sedbergh central control - Gail - waiting for the first in on Sunday afternoon.
https://ibb.co/ctLO2T

Welcome to the exclusive club of those who've helped on one of Andy's rides. it's quite an experience.

« Reply #1104 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:46:50 am »
Defibrillator attests to a similar experience for the riders.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #1105 on: 11 July, 2018, 11:35:59 am »
Albeit a little belated, it's taken this long for what I was a part of at the weekend to sink in, I'd like to thank Andy, Alan and Gail wholeheartedly for their assistance, commitment and quite frankly stamina! All conspired to make this the most amazing experience I've ever had on a bike ride. The route choices sometimes seemed cruel in the extreme but, on reflection, I'd say were completely necessary and the rewarding views after winching uphill for what seemed like an eternity were fantastic.

Time to rest now before Mille Cymru. The bar has been set very high!

« Reply #1106 on: 11 July, 2018, 11:51:05 am »
Andy Gregg got back from Robin Hood's Bay about 5pm Sunday and after having something to eat and waiting around a bit, rode on to Bispham getting there, by design, just before AC the organiser opened up the finish at 10pm. Here's his bike in the afternoon sunshine:
https://ibb.co/dEWD2T
Merida Reacto Team
Ultegra (mechanical) derailleurs/STIs
Rotor semi compact 52/36 (but with a 34t fitted)
11-40 cassette (with Wolf Roadlink)
4000S IIs on Fulcrum Racing 3s
7cm lifts under the tribars

« Reply #1107 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:03:17 pm »
That's about the same time as Peter Simon in 2016, on his modified 1983 Raleigh Record Ace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBIU38fbiyA

« Reply #1108 on: 11 July, 2018, 03:49:13 pm »
TBH my head is still in a whirl from what was a fantastic experience.  So simply to say thanks to:

- Andy for organising it all and always being around with an answer/suggestion.

- Gail & John for amazing support at Sedbergh, patient and kind hearted at all hours.

- Company on the road from old friends and new, it was very welcome and hopefully reciprocated.

- The Lakeland, Pennine & Moors landscape, towns & villages & folk I met; wonderful in many ways.

Simon

« Reply #1109 on: 11 July, 2018, 04:37:09 pm »
Andy Gregg got back from Robin Hood's Bay about 5pm Sunday and after having something to eat and waiting around a bit, rode on to Bispham getting there, by design, just before AC the organiser opened up the finish at 10pm. Here's his bike in the afternoon sunshine:
https://ibb.co/dEWD2T
Merida Reacto Team
Ultegra (mechanical) derailleurs/STIs
Rotor semi compact 52/36 (but with a 34t fitted)
11-40 cassette (with Wolf Roadlink)
4000S IIs on Fulcrum Racing 3s
7cm lifts under the tribars
Racing wheels with 16f/21r spokes? I’ve just been looking at those for my racing bike (I keep getting dropped) but I prefer 32 spokes per wheel for Audax. Chapeau for the fast finish!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #1110 on: 11 July, 2018, 06:03:10 pm »
That will live long in the memory. My legs have definitely not yet forgotten!
Many thanks to Andy, Gail & John. A massive effort to look after such a large group.

Lots of good company out on the road (both the familiar faces and the new)....which definitely helps when having to deal with 33% problems

A few photos

« Reply #1111 on: 11 July, 2018, 06:38:27 pm »
Thanks Andy for a great event and thanks Gail and John for the time you gave. Well done everyone who finished it and those that didn't, whether mechanical or out of reach, I'm sure there will be another.

I'm happy in the knowledge I made it up those North Yorks Moors bumps without getting off. Still to do Hardknott to walk from the westside so may be I'll be back for more one day.

Again, thanks Andy. When I get time I'll give your Maniac a go...... got to do Colin's C10A first  :demon:

« Reply #1112 on: 12 July, 2018, 12:50:36 am »
Another DNF for me. More of a mental failure than anything. Came off a run of 7 night shifts 48 hours before the start and hadn't really fully recovered the sleep debt, so when I started to feel it in the legs en route to Stanhope on day 2, my resolve failed and I diverted to Riding Mill train station and bailed. Looking at it in retrospect, perhaps I ought to have grabbed a snooze at Stanhope and plodded on, seeing as I was well in time and on plan, but there again, there was an awfully long way to go... Hey ho, it's just riding bikes after all and there'll always be other rides to tackle.
Congratulations to all that finished, commiserations to those that didn't and thanks so much to Andy, Gail, John and anyone else who helped get the event to fruition.

« Reply #1113 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:26:49 pm »
I have now had time to take stock of the ride and here are a few reflections.

What a wonderful establishment a Premier Inn is. The night before the start  , Sloth , Paul , Parky and I revelled in the luxury , ( all these things are relative after all ) , of the one very close to the start  ( at £45 for a twin room  it passed the demanding nature of the  AVT ( Audax Value Test ) and after the finish, with only a touch of gentle pleading, they gave us a room to have a shower -free of charge. That is what I call service . This allowed us to   relax in the splendour of the adjacent Beefeater for an early lunch  ( including crumble with custard AND ice cream –we were in that sort of self-congratulatory mood)  and then be our sweetsmelling best for that well known combo of a gin and tonic accompanied by  a large bowl of ice cream with salted caramel sauce and chopped nuts at , it has to be said , a rather spendid beachfront bar almost underneath the Tower on the front , before boarding the train from Blackpool to Preston. The joy of having completed the ride and not having to rush anywhere , washed over us with each mouthful.
The train journey did not start well as Parky had to travel in a seperate compartment from the rest of us as there was not room for a fourth bike  . He moved on down the train after repeated reminders from the Sloth to get off at Preston for the London train. The 3 of us disembarked at Preston and the train pulled out on its way eastwards. No Parky. For some reason he was tired and  had fallen asleep and slept through the glories of Preston station. It was his very good fortune that the London train was delayed an hour giving him ample time to return.

Turning to the main event, the four of us rode together for about 80kms or so but we were part of a fast group, some of whom , showing justifiable faith in the unusual weather forecast ,  were sporting their lightest bikes and wheels and seat post bags small enough to show they were carrying nothing more than  one innertube ,one tyre leaver and perhaps a gilet stuffed in a rear pocket -and so Parky and I silently bade them farewell . The sight of women lying prone in bikinis by the side of the Lakes was not one I am used to from previous trips to the Lakes  and more than once we compared our fortune with  the weather the event was subjected to a couple of years ago. It was hot but never a problem and it  made the whole ride so much more relaxing than it could have been . Parky rode Mille Pennines last year and I had ridden the Fred Whitton twice , but on both occasions in the wet with the rear tyre slipping around on the way over Hardknott. It was rather different this year. There is a certain masochistic pleasure in riding an event like MP and this is heightened when you approach one , or in this case  two , of the biggies . This feeling  was making itself evident as we saw the signs warning of the fearsome gradients.  I now know that Wrynose is a lot harder from the Langdales than the "usual way". In fact it was definitely harder than Hardknott was -whereas it definitely  the other way round when coming up Eskdale.  Anyway we were both happy to get over those two and I was already thinking ahead to Sunday when the next challenge to not putting a foot down would be encountered.  ( being able to get over those two was definitely helped by fitting a “ 34 “ on the back  for the first time . Parky impressively was using his normal 32 .) We subsequently learned from Paul and the Sloth that they had walked up both Wrynose and Hardknott. You can imagine my shame when knowing they had done so in their SWRC shirts. You might consider that they let the club down , they let each other down etc etc. I am afraid, it is with heavy heart that we will need to return to this topic later on.

It is odd to describe a ride including those climbs to be "an easy day " but as with Premier Inn rooms , these things are all relative. It was clear that at less than 13 hours this was only a foretaste of what was to come. And so it was. Parky and I decided to get up at 3.30am but we both woke at 3am and so up we got and were off by about 3.40am after as much breakfast we could manage. It was soon light and riding through the dawn must be one of the paybacks of riding an event like this. Quite magnificent. The climb up onto the moor and Shotmoss Hill (?)  above Brough as the sun burnt off the mist in particular almost made me feel as though I was enjoying myself. It was good to be caught by Sloth and Paul approaching Kielder where we probably made a tactical error by “feasting “ in the shop instead of relying on the tips for alternatives on the forum . That meant we stopped again at Newcastleton for a sit down meal –and very good it was too. Again the road over the moor to Langholm was a real highlight for me –stunning views for miles . A quick ice cream in Langholm allowed us to read a bio of Thomas Telford who hailed from close by and be told by the local dog walkers that of course they have border collies, this is the borders  . The next culinary highlight was the fish and chip shop at Penrith ( although we did have something of a banquet in Lockerbie’s Tescos ,giving into all those cravings that you have on a ride like this-blueberries, Greek Yoghurt, Melon , Dark Chocolate, Sushi etc etc ) . The chippie was shutting , it was 9.50pm , as we went in but very generously put in some more fish and chips just for us . This meant a bit of a delay but it was worth it. The other customers who had clearly been sustaining themselves in time honoured Saturday night fashion  were touchingly solicitous of “Team Sky “  waiting outside who had to have first go at  the food as it was ready. The only remaining part of the ride to stick in my memory was  the last 10 miles or so climbing up above the M6 and then diving down below it and then up again . I completely lost my bearings on that section and it was the only time I felt a little cool on the entire ride.

So, after 21 hours we were finished  and after food and a shower , those airbeds rivalled even a Premier Inn’s finest and we were unconscious. By the way , to other organisers, a hot shower is a life saver. At the end of each day to be able to have a really good shower, especially when a new change of kit was available through the bag drop , was so , so good.  A lie in beckoned. 5am wake up it was and again after 40 minutes we were off for BIG DAY Number 2. Sean Hargreaves had already told us of his plan to stop at Spoons in Richmond for a breakfast and this seemed like a good plan to us. Parky and I had ridden the last section of BIG DAY Number 1 with Ian Bird (?) from Cambridge  and we enjoyed  riding with him  to Richmond. As we were finishing our AVT giant breakfasts , Sean pulled up. We were surprised that no other riders were availing themselves of what Spoons , beloved of audaxers after all  , had to offer. Sean was complaining of painful knees. He had tried to make it up the steep bank into Richmond but had got off . That he was suffering from sore knees did not really surprise me. I was suffering from sore everything and had a 34 x34 gear. He was on fixed. We saw him again at RHB and the great news was that he had ridden the soreness off. As with fixed riders on all the hardest events , a bit like ultra marathon runners, I admire them but don’t understand them.

I was really looking forward to BD Number 2 , albeit with trepidation . I was  born on the edge of the N York Moors and spent a lot of time as a kid on the beaches and walking in the area but I had never cycled there. My group were bored stiff with me pointing out Captain Cook’s Monument, Roseberry Topping ( which at 320 m  seemed like the Matterhorn to me as a child ), telling them how to pronounce Chop Gate ( Chop Yat so you know ) but my ability to converse  of course soon disappeared as we hit the first climbs or “banks “ as they are known here.  And not long later , soon after leaving RHB,  we were in the middle of those steep sided valleys and their 33% gradients. The killer was definitely the narrow one with the  concrete surface with a few random pieces of tarmac scattered around clinging on in their fight with gravity. The narrowness of that “road “ meant real concentration was needed to get up without the dreaded cleat killing walk.  We were lucky enough to see the steam train at Grosmont , which merited a stop to see and hear it pull out and then after one more 33%er , the Chimney was all that was left. We rode with Chris Herbert for a while before the Chimney with him looking forward to testing his new cleats and pedals on a “proper climb”.  Easy to say now but though incredibly steep and hard , the width of the road and good surface meant it was easier than the concrete. That said in bad weather , or without the very small gears , it would be a very different proposition .  Unfortunately , Sloth and Paul , far stronger riders than Parky and me , chose discretion over valour and once more tested their cleats  by taking their bikes for a stroll on these climbs. Their decision based upon saving energy for the rest of the ride. And of course they were probably right as they cycled much faster than us back to Sedbergh and my legs were shot after those climbs. But the satisfaction, even if trifling ,I like to think  is mine. It just meant we had a couple of hours less sleep. And as rode down into Hutton le Hole at the bottom of the moor after the Chimney , there was no way we were not going to stop . A pint of lime and soda  and a packet of crisps, a chat with the locals in the sunshine. Perfect. It was about 6pm and we had a way to go but all the hard climbs were done then. That meant we felt we should do our bit for the Spoons share price and so another unscheduled Spoons Stop in Thirsk to deal with  the mind numbing horror of that drag up to the top of Sutton Bank helped us on our way. The final stretch to Hawes seemed to go on and on. I was , for the only time on the ride, starting to fall asleep but a stop ,a bit of food and after another 21 hours we were done.

That left only one more challenge to find a towel that was more towel than air , one more luxuriant sleep on a lilo, one more plate of beans and toast –served as I have posted before by the wonderful Gail and John –with Andy always in solicitous attendance- and then a fun , relaxing 80kms “downhill” in a pre-arranged bunch featuring a  number of the fast group we had  let go on the Friday –and what a long time ago that seemed- and we were done.

A truly challenging event that will live long in the memory.
Thanks to all the people I rode with along the way , again to Andy who gives up so much time and effort and so generously to allow us to ride these events and in particular to Parky , with whom I have shared so many of these rides and is the person who first introduced me into this fine but sometimes a little bonkers, activity , that is audaxing.

« Reply #1114 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:41:00 pm »
...they had walked up both Wrynose and Hardknott...

These boots are made for walking
And that's just what they'll do...

« Reply #1115 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:45:59 pm »
As Shirley& Company , almost, said

Shame shame shame hey shame on you
If you can't  ride too
I said shame shame shame shame shame shame shame
Shame on you
If you can't ride too

« Reply #1116 on: 17 July, 2018, 02:13:08 pm »
"the four of us rode together for about 80kms or so but we were part of a fast group, some of whom , showing justifiable faith in the unusual weather forecast ,  were sporting their lightest bikes and wheels and seat post bags small "
Here's some shots of SWRC heroes just after crossing the Lune after Caton; with @willpom gwraudax, I think.
https://ibb.co/kRSQGo
https://ibb.co/miVZ98

"80kms “downhill” in a pre-arranged bunch"

https://ibb.co/cNaHU8
https://ibb.co/ibPBp8
https://ibb.co/hZ5HU8

« Reply #1117 on: 17 July, 2018, 02:16:34 pm »
Thanks AB. Caught on camera. You see there is the Sloth -he is even walking up that hill as well.

« Reply #1118 on: 17 July, 2018, 02:53:53 pm »
"I now know that Wrynose is a lot harder from the Langdales than the "usual way". In fact it was definitely harder than Hardknott was -whereas it definitely  the other way round when coming up Eskdale.  Anyway we were both happy to get over those two"
Here are riders who didn't walk up Wrynose (well at least not in camera shot):
https://ibb.co/chKpbo
https://ibb.co/j4Dhwo
https://ibb.co/fzqUbo
https://ibb.co/jyozbo

« Reply #1119 on: 17 July, 2018, 03:14:34 pm »
https://ibb.co/fzqUbo

This was me and I managed to complete the whole event without walking despite the foolhardy gearing choice (36:28 bottom gear).
Changing the gearing was going to cost significantly so I just went with it. Worked out ok but wouldn't recommend it to anyone!!

Took a few vids of the start and of the Monday morning group which I have posted up to YouTube;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlp3W_fdbLE&list=PL2l9xMYPC4A8B0IopOuAyQ5DsROmMigHO&index=1

There are other vids as well but need to edit them into some sort of coherent state and remove the sections where I drone on!!

Might try and write up a full report as I always enjoy reading everyone else's exploits.

In the meantime thanks to Andy, Gail and John for all of their organising, hospitality and kindness shown during the event. It really was appreciated even if I often didn't have the wherewithal to properly express it!!

« Reply #1120 on: 17 July, 2018, 06:33:49 pm »
@smuttiesmith
Here's your bike in Mille Pennines ride mode but sans bag.
https://ibb.co/mGcxU8
Apologies for the valves not being at 12 o'clock.
Hope not too many 'tutts' for the low spoke count.
Thought your lock was a weight and space saver.

« Reply #1121 on: 17 July, 2018, 06:39:49 pm »
Looking down into Little Langdale from the top of Wrynose:
https://ibb.co/d0saGo

« Reply #1122 on: 17 July, 2018, 09:00:14 pm »
Thanks Ajax Bay, the saddle pack is actually still attached in that picture!! I think it’s just blended into the background a little. The spoke count wasn’t mentioned but o think the saddle to bar drop might have been noticed!! I’m pleased I took the deep carbon tubular wheels off for the event though. They would have been a disaster with a puncture!

In the bag I had;
2 spare inner tubes
1 box of patches
1 tyre lever
1 Multi tool
1 Chain quick link
Short length of spare chain (3 or 4 links)
Valve tool
2 spare valves
2 spoke keys
£10 as emergency money or tyre boot

Short of something snapping I thought I should be covered. Had a few extra spares in my drop bag just in case.

The locks I had were Hiplok Z Lok security ties. For peace of mind they will stop an opportunity thief whilst nipping into a shop etc.

:thumbsup:

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #1123 on: 20 July, 2018, 03:27:44 pm »
Now that the dust has settled a big thanks to all those that entered and took part in the third running of the Mille Pennines 1000, and congratulations also to those that finished.

This was a 1000 km randonnee through the Pennine chain, spread over 4-days. For the first time, the event was blessed with some good weather! The first day saw the riders tackle a circuit of the Lake District in hot, stifling conditions. Fortunately, all the riders were assured of a warm welcome at the excellent Sedbergh control. A facility that provided the riders with the opportunity to consume some hot food, as well as providing shower and sleeping facilities. Day 2, a circuit of the northern Pennines, also saw the riders riding in some decent conditions for once. Those unfamiliar with the north Yorks' Moors got a bit of a shock on stage 3 whilst stage 4 was more or less a direct run back to the finish.

Overall, the event was a success with 67 riders starting and 46 finishing! More unforgettable stories were written from the event and many of them have been uploaded onto the event website at: https://millepenninesaudax.com/volunteer/ There'll doubtless be many more! 3 riders: Ray Robinson; Ian Ryall and John Sherlock have completed all 3 editions. Special thanks to those have have commended the route/organization etc.

Once again, congratulations to all those that finished the event and commiserations to those that weren't able to finish this year.

Riders travelled from as far as London; Bristol; Hampshire and Scotland for the event and I do hope their time and expense was worthwhile.

Last, but certainly not least, I'd like to thank the volunteers that helped make the event a success:

Gail Birkett and John Rye who helped out at the start at Bispham as well as putting in a full shift for 3-nights at Sedbergh. Graham Gordon who also helped out at Sedbergh and Tim Sollesse who helped out at Bispham at the end. Whether you directed riders to the shower block; cleaned the loos or served Pasta to a hungry rider at 02:00 am all should feel proud!

As you're all by now probably aware the MP1K will be taking a break next year although an alternative choice of 1000k/1200k from Blackpool to Scotland and back, in a similar format to the MP1K (showers; sleeping; feeding arrangements etc), is currently in the planning stages to be held over the weekend of 05 - 08 July 2019 subject to approval by the AUK events board. Those interested in riding should keep an eye on the AUK calendar. If all is well the event details are likely to appear in the AUK calendar around the third week of August!

I do hope to see some of you again soon.

Thanks again to all those involved in an event that will live long in the minds of all those involved for some time to come.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1124 on: 20 July, 2018, 04:13:39 pm »
Thanks Andy

Are you deliberately choosing PBP weekend for the ride next year?

Eddington  127miles, 170km