Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126467 times)

Martin

I was shocked at the price of beer in my local Sky Sports pub last night,

Not going that often does anyone know if they hike their prices on match days?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
That surely depends on the individual pub. I don't think either of the two pubs where I occasionally watch football raise their prices when matches are on.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Martin

the scourge of the South East G***** K*** so hardly surprising

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Twitter has been full of people posting "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?" and other people replying "Exactly."

"It's what Ian Rush drinks." is my standard reply to anyone exclaiming "Urgh!", and has been since about 1989.

See also: "What do you expect, it is the 1990s you know?"[1], which I only really started using in earnest after the year 2000.

In the unlikely event that I live long enough to be properly old, between this sort of thing and referring to any recorded media as a "tape" I should be fully set for confusing the young folk.   :thumbsup:

[1] They recorded two versions, so they could continue to use the advert in 1991, but only the original has made it to Youtube.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I was shocked at the price of beer in my local Sky Sports pub last night,

Not going that often does anyone know if they hike their prices on match days?

My local actually lowers the price to £2.50 when the Welsh rugby team are on.  :thumbsup:
This reduction applies during the match only, which leads to lots of people standing around with no beer in their hand during the anthems followed by a mass rush to the bar as the game begins.  Another rush occurs during the last two minutes.  ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Martin

also did I imagine it but I thought a pint glass appeared in the corner of the screen about 5 mins before half time (as in "get another round in before the rush!")

although it was there all the way through the second half (Which given I was supporting Spurs was probably a bit premature unless I was going to cry into it!)

at some point I could work out how much Punk IPA at £5.30 a pint I'd have to drink a month before it became cheaper to invest in Sky Sports at home (and a decoder for that matter)

also did I imagine it but I thought a pint glass appeared in the corner of the screen about 5 mins before half time (as in "get another round in before the rush!")

The pint glass shows they've paid for the commercial Sky subscription (price is based on pub turnover but it averages about £2k a month for a typical reasonably busy pub).

Sky employ people to go round pubs when major sports events are on to ensure that the pint glass symbol is shown (the typical trick is to get a cut down Sky Sports commercial subscription that gives you a couple of the Sky Sports channels but then use a residential Sky subscription to show the other channels).

I've seen some pubs with the pint logo tippexed onto the screen.

You'll also see 9 digit numbers overlaid (usually top right) on Sky Sports channels, even on residential subscriptions. This is a unique number added by the Sky box (based on the viewing card number) that allows Sky to identify feeds being streamed onto the Internet. They employ people to find and watch the streams, pick out the numbers and then send the appropriate signal over the satellite feed to kill that viewing card/box remotely.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

See also: "What do you expect, it is the 1990s you know?"[1], which I only really started using in earnest after the year 2000.
See also: "Where IS everybody?"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I guess this means I'm old already, cos I've heard of Accrington Stanley but didn't have any idea – till I just googled it – that they'd done anything noteworthy, nor about the advert. And I'm still not sure what Ian Rush has to do with it (guessing he was in the 1980s advert)!

And if a pint was £5.30 I'd think the figures had been transposed.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
See also: "Where IS everybody?"

And "A bush, a bin, a brick, a bus..." (Milton Keynes' answer to Energy In Northampton.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I guess this means I'm old already, cos I've heard of Accrington Stanley but didn't have any idea – till I just googled it – that they'd done anything noteworthy, nor about the advert. And I'm still not sure what Ian Rush has to do with it (guessing he was in the 1980s advert)!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pieK7b4KLL4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/pieK7b4KLL4&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/pieK7b4KLL4

ETA: It appears this has had a resurgence in popularity following this excellent parody vodka advert featuring the original actor:

Which has been banned following complaints.  Possibly by Ian Rush.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-39203434

citoyen

And any time anyone gets a new bike: "Ee, I were right about that saddle though."

Wenger out (at the end of the season).

No great surprise.
* If he wins the EL and therefore qualifies for the CL next season then he should leave on a high.
* If he doesn't win the EL then he should have left anyway.

It does mean that the longest serving Premiership manager next season will be Eddie Howe.

(Assuming he doesn't move to Arsenal that is. Who knows who is going to be AFC manager next season.)

citoyen

It does mean that the longest serving Premiership manager next season will be Eddie Howe.

Blimey! That's actually a far more interesting fact than Wenger stepping down.

I looked up the list of longest-serving managers and five of the next seven after Wenger are recently promoted clubs - Howe at Bournemouth, Dyche at Burnley, Hughton at Brighton, Wagner at Huddersfield and Benitez at Newcastle.

I guess this shows that you can be allowed the luxury of a few seasons if you win a promotion and/or a cup, but once you start to stagnate into a bog-standard mid-table club (Everton, West Ham, Stoke), the revolving door policy kicks in.

The two interlopers in that bunch are Pochettino at Spurs and Klopp at Liverpool, but they are arguably the only two of the "Big Six" clubs that have showed real progress and improvement in the last few years. Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal have either remained static or gone backwards. City have only achieved the minimum expected given the manager and players at their disposal and Guardiola will be feeling the pressure to perform better in Europe next season.

It's a results business, Brian.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I really hope Huddersfield can stay up this time. They're still hovering near the relegation zone so a couple more wins should steer them clear. My mum and brother have season tickets and they have been to pretty much every home game this season and loved it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

I hope they stay up, too.  Ancestrally, Huddersfield belong in the top division.  I don't think it happens very often that all three promoted clubs stay up, does it?  Could be wrong.

97/98 was the last Premiership season where the 3 promoted clubs all stayed up.

Oops, nope. 2000/01 and 2010/11 too.

Cheers, GB - still pretty unusual, then.

Interesting Champion's League goal tonight... ;D

(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Former Uefa president Michel Platini has claimed that he fixed the draw for the 1998 World Cup in order to ensure France and Brazil did not meet until the final.

The French hosted and won their first World Cup 20 years ago, beating Brazil 3-0 in the final in Paris.

Former France captain Platini was on the tournament's organising committee.

"When we organised the schedule, we did a little trickery," he told radio station France Bleu Sport.

"France-Brazil in the final, it was the dream of everyone.

"If we finished first in the group and Brazil finished first, we could not meet before the final."

He laughed as he went on: "We did not spend six years organising the World Cup to not do some little shenanigans. Do you think other World Cup hosts did not?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44170578

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Former Uefa president Michel Platini has claimed that he fixed the draw for the 1998 World Cup in order to ensure France and Brazil did not meet until the final.

The French hosted and won their first World Cup 20 years ago, beating Brazil 3-0 in the final in Paris.

Former France captain Platini was on the tournament's organising committee.

"When we organised the schedule, we did a little trickery," he told radio station France Bleu Sport.

"France-Brazil in the final, it was the dream of everyone.

"If we finished first in the group and Brazil finished first, we could not meet before the final."

He laughed as he went on: "We did not spend six years organising the World Cup to not do some little shenanigans. Do you think other World Cup hosts did not?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44170578

Same system as used by many tournaments, such as Wimbledon Tennis.  You can't be sure they will meet in the Final, you can only ensure they never meet BEFORE the final.

It makes sense really.  Nobody wants to see the big names going out in the early stages.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
And FIFA seem to have approved.
Two days before the draw took take place, world governing body Fifa announced that holders Brazil would be allocated to Group A while France were in Group C.

It meant that if the two teams finished top they would be on opposite sides of the draw for the knockout stage.
The idea might have originated from FIFA rather than Platini and he's just claiming the glory now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I think all the recent single host world cup tournaments have been arranged so that the hosts and cup holders will stay apart until the final (assuming they get that far) Nothing out of the ordinary in France 98
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen