Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3901127 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22100 on: 04 October, 2018, 03:31:05 pm »
A nice day out on a mixture of roads and cycle routes along an old railway line.  Blustery wind, but not too bad on the recumbent (A short wheelbase two wheeler, with small wheels).  I tried out a new back wheel, with sturmey hub brake.  The wheel is 20" and hub brakes seem to be more effective in smaller wheels, I assume because the ratio between the brake and the wheel size is bigger.  It works well, a good drag brake on the downhills which got a bit scary with the wind behind me.  32 easy and enjoyable miles including an ice cream in the park on the way back.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22101 on: 04 October, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »
At last managed to enjoy a ride today. Kept it short, 45k, but took a hilly route so I got a good work-out.  Nothing much of note other than the wind, which was pretty strong on the exposed bits. Saw a total of two autumn crocuses, which have been rare this year. They're usually sworn at, being a sign of summer's end, but these were rather welcome after our long drought.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22102 on: 07 October, 2018, 09:20:23 am »
Yesterday, 119 km with El Prez to have lunch in Baden-Baden. Not a great ride.  Promised morning temperature was 23°C but B² is in a Black Forest valley so when Alsace was basking we had a chilly 16°. The route was almost dead flat, too - 400 m total climb and that includes my usual 50-metre hill at the end. The very pleasant ferry we usually take over the Rhine was closed so instead we had to take a converted railway bridge with the rails still embedded in the tarmac and impatient motorists wanting past. Traffic in B² was thick and fast, the route was tortuous and only El P knew the twists & turns so that bit was somewhat frazzling, and after that our lunch was ho-hum - the currywürst we coveted wasn't on the menu and the coffee was vile. Rather a shame, since the last time I was in B² I really liked it.

We were both a bit knackered at 100k so we had another vile coffee in a greasy spoon. I also had an apple purée out of a wee stoppered sachet the missus had given me. As a pick-me-up it was great: a while later a young bloke went whizzing by without a word, so just for fun I chased him down and stuck behind for a couple of k, and I did the final climb standing on the pedals with 4 cogs in hand.

That's that for B² this year. Might get back if we do a proper Black Forest trot next year.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22103 on: 07 October, 2018, 10:38:03 am »
This morning, wrapped OK on the top half, and anticipating around 6c rather than the 1c I experienced on the fens, my legs and feet were rather chilly. Time to get the winter boots and leggings out I think, as my feet were blue when I got home.

Only 35km, had the idea of a 50, but I think I'm coming down with something, scratchy throat, phlegmy and sneezing so didnt push it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22104 on: 07 October, 2018, 10:44:58 am »
My knees get stroppy below 10°C.

ElyDave

« Reply #22105 on: 07 October, 2018, 11:50:52 am »
Knees OK, if a little on the chilly side, but my feet really suffer when it gets cold - symptoms very much like Reynauds, they go white/numb and then when re-warming in the shower go purple like grapes and are very painful.  I've tried everything except heated insoles to no avail.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22106 on: 07 October, 2018, 01:54:31 pm »
Sounds pretty standard. I used to get it too, but thanks to coronary ills I'm not allowed out under 5°C these days so I rarely suffer that much. On one memorable trip across the Jura at night in summer kit it got down to 1°C and my fingers got that way too.  I don't think I've ever felt as cold.

« Reply #22107 on: 07 October, 2018, 06:47:14 pm »
14miles today  . I  mile on the ez3 and 12miles on the repaired electric trice, thanks torslander   :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22108 on: 07 October, 2018, 06:51:07 pm »
14miles today  . I  mile on the ez3 and 12miles on the repaired electric trice, thanks torslander   :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

New hamsters?

« Reply #22109 on: 08 October, 2018, 07:23:35 am »
New hamsters  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22110 on: 08 October, 2018, 09:11:15 am »
New hamsters  :thumbsup:
And Igor's got them trained?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22111 on: 08 October, 2018, 09:22:56 am »
I haven't touched my bikes all weekend, other than to replace a tube which had a dodgy valve.  :-[ But it's autumn so I went for a wander in the woods. Across the Suspension Bridge, wander among the trees – it's easy to get away from the crowds with dogs and little black bags even on a sunny Sunday – then along the Pill path past the pills to Pill. Wanted a cup of tea, couldn't get one. Over the Avonmouth Bridge, unpleasantly noisy, into the Shire and decide to see how long till the next train home. Five minutes! I totally lucked out cos the trains are only about one every two hours on Sunday. A rough recreation on bikehike tells me it was about a dozen miles, my legs tell me this is the equivalent of cycling 120 miles.

« Reply #22112 on: 08 October, 2018, 12:50:49 pm »
I always reckon that one off-road mile = two on-road miles in terms of effort, but not a factor of ten! Unless in mud, which I don't do if I can avoid it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22113 on: 08 October, 2018, 01:02:24 pm »
I reckon a factor of ten is achievable if you pick a particularly technical hilly route, and/or bring a Mildly Inappropriate Bike.

Also, when the Pill path mud is involved, you've got to factor in the extra effort of the trip to A&E for stitches (but, disappointingly, not pills) afterwards.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22114 on: 08 October, 2018, 01:04:12 pm »
This was a wander on foot (and mostly off road, but I don't think that was really a factor) which I tried to compare to one on wheels (on road). I hadn't really thought to compare it to an off-road ride.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22115 on: 08 October, 2018, 01:05:36 pm »
A pill, in case anyone is wondering, is a stream or possibly an artificial drain emptying into the estuarial basin (of the Avon, in this case).

ElyDave

« Reply #22116 on: 08 October, 2018, 07:08:03 pm »
go further down into Somerset and the'yre rhynes, or so I found when I lived down that way. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22117 on: 08 October, 2018, 07:45:25 pm »
There are some rhines round Avonmouth too. I'm not sure but I think there might be a distinction between a pill as a natural stream and a rhine (pronounced "reen" or so I'm told) as a drainage ditch on the flatlands. Or possibly the distinction is something more subtle than that. Or maybe it's just local variation...  :-\

ElyDave

« Reply #22118 on: 09 October, 2018, 11:11:30 am »
I think you're right.  I was roundly mocked as a non-native pronouncing it as rhyming with twine, a mistake only made once.

My understanding is that the rhynes or rhines are essentially as in the fens, the drainage ditches on the levels.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22119 on: 09 October, 2018, 07:42:44 pm »
I gave the Moulton TSR its inaugural (to me) thrash.  All good except that the seat tube bottle cage is just in the wrong place for my knees, since I have taught myself to pedal with knees almost brushing the top tube of a conventional bike, racer-fashion.  It's going to need a bottle cage cantilevered behind the saddle, since the alternative set of bosses under the spaceframe is nigh-on inaccessible when riding.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #22120 on: 10 October, 2018, 09:54:45 am »
I gave the Moulton TSR its inaugural (to me) thrash.  All good except that the seat tube bottle cage is just in the wrong place for my knees, since I have taught myself to pedal with knees almost brushing the top tube of a conventional bike, racer-fashion.  It's going to need a bottle cage cantilevered behind the saddle, since the alternative set of bosses under the spaceframe is nigh-on inaccessible when riding.

Or you need  ;D a Campag biodynamica aero bottle and cage from the late 80s/early 90s?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22121 on: 10 October, 2018, 10:40:54 am »
I use an Arundel aero/TT bidon and cage on the seat tube of my current TSR. My previous Moulton indeed had a Biodynamica bidon. The underslung mount carries my spare tubes, tools etc.

I also have normal bidons mounted either side of the head tube. A couple of SS straps with 45 degree twists between upper and lower rack mounts are worthwhile for that.
https://judithswallow.wordpress.com/tag/audax-2/page/2/ illustrates the general concept.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22122 on: 10 October, 2018, 06:31:35 pm »
Aprox 55 miles today out through maidenhead and along the pickers green road along cycle route 52 down to the  a4130 to Henley. I bought some lunch and water then  the a4155 for a mile before heading onto the lane's through Fawley , South end. , down to Fingest and on to Marlow  .the climb up winter Hill was soon behind me and then Cookham and Bourne end where I climbed up  kiln lane heading for Beaconsfield services. .just a couple of climbs bought me to stoke Poges and back to slough. .
A beautiful day for a potter   :)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #22123 on: 10 October, 2018, 08:05:14 pm »

Or you need  ;D a Campag biodynamica aero bottle and cage from the late 80s/early 90s?

That looks distinctly urological to me - does it come in cardboard too?

Rob

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #22124 on: 10 October, 2018, 08:07:28 pm »
About 30 miles in glorious weather - had to open up the shop for 20 minutes for a customer to collect a new bike but then on into the Warwickshire countryside and lunch at The Whore's Bed pub on the way home.

Rob