Author Topic: Atlas Mountain Race.  (Read 9518 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Atlas Mountain Race.
« Reply #50 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:18:45 am »

I can't work out if James is gaining on Sofaine or not, but he seems to have doubled the distance between him and Jay. Jay has even dropped one place.

James posted on instagram earlier that he had an issue with his rear wheel that involved an angle grinder to remove a buggered valve...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Phil W

« Reply #51 on: 18 February, 2020, 12:15:17 pm »

I can't work out if James is gaining on Sofaine or not, but he seems to have doubled the distance between him and Jay. Jay has even dropped one place.

James posted on instagram earlier that he had an issue with his rear wheel that involved an angle grinder to remove a buggered valve...

J

James has made about 5km inroad to Sofiane’s lead since I was watching yesterday. It’s going to take some serious stoppage of Sofiane for James to overhaul that lead. Especially as Sofiane will soon enough start losing altitude.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 18 February, 2020, 12:23:19 pm »
James has made about 5km inroad to Sofiane’s lead since I was watching yesterday. It’s going to take some serious stoppage of Sofiane for James to overhaul that lead. Especially as Sofiane will soon enough start losing altitude.

Sofaine is through CP3.

Considering that James slept during the night, and Sofaine had a 1 hour stop (no data on if he actually slept during that time). It's an interesting dynamic.

I wonder what the surface is like after Cp3.

Can't... stop... watching...

J
--

« Reply #53 on: 18 February, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »
It will be interesting after the race ends to absorb the feedback as to how it compares with the likes of SRMR and the like.
I can see this one becoming really popular.  An extreme event but perhaps a little more accessible than SRMR in terms of Geography and culture for the average racer.
Though, I would imagine its a big step up in intensity and discomfort over the ID.

often lost.

« Reply #54 on: 18 February, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »
Chris Phillips, who scratched and has done SRMR, reckons it was very hard.  Partly because it is before rather than after the European season.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #55 on: 18 February, 2020, 02:54:50 pm »
An interesting array of bike set ups
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2020-atlas-mountain-race-rigs/
Finally got around to looking at some of these bikes.

I think I recognise the 'cheap no-name rollbag' of mr Tobias Bader...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODWHBB/podsacs-waterproof-handlebar-barrel-bag

My pet underdog rider has to be Mr Drummond, with his 90s hardtail 26er and handmade Lidl bag for life snack pods. Interestingly he's also got a bottle cage on a seat stay.

None of the gear, all the ideas! Not placing at all badly either.

Charlie Holden is another highlight, he's carrying barely a thing. Jost Litzen also seems to be using a bag which is identical to my PX one. Lloyd Wright is using one for sure.

Top points to ROBERT SCHMIDT also for his v-braked steel frame hybrid/rigid MTB.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #56 on: 18 February, 2020, 03:15:44 pm »
I love that rig/kit run-down.

There are a few after my own heart there. I'd take a 29er hardtail on fast rolling tyres with some TT bars up front.

Sod creeping down those loose rocky descents on some of those wafty, 'aero' gravel bikes on skinny tyres. 

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #57 on: 18 February, 2020, 04:00:31 pm »
My personal money-no-object pick would be a Brother Big Bro https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/bikes/big-bro-complete/ with TT bars.

Seems that there's only one left in large in the UK....

https://pedalsbikecare.co.uk/shop/2019-brother-cycles-big-bro-complete/
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 18 February, 2020, 06:55:16 pm »
It will be interesting after the race ends to absorb the feedback as to how it compares with the likes of SRMR and the like.
I can see this one becoming really popular.  An extreme event but perhaps a little more accessible than SRMR in terms of Geography and culture for the average racer.
Though, I would imagine its a big step up in intensity and discomfort over the ID.
Yes!

(but ... what's the ID ?  :-\ )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 18 February, 2020, 07:53:20 pm »
Yes!

(but ... what's the ID ?  :-\ )

Italy Divide. :thumbs:
often lost.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #60 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:48:19 pm »
my idea of doing this race - lightweight full sus or hardtail mtb, sleeping kit, ride at 50% of effort (100% being turning myself inside out to finish asap), sleep six hours every night, take lots of photos, talk to other riders, interact with the locals. not a "race", really (but i wouldn't want to race it).

i can only fell sorry for the leader for skipping his sleep - it becomes a very dark state of existence (hating yourself, everyone and everything around you - i've been there..). 90km to go though - nearly there!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #61 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:40:29 pm »

Wondering how close James can get to Sofaine in the final few km.

Looks like Jay has regained 3rd.

I need to sleep, but this is getting too exciting not to keep watching...

J
--

« Reply #62 on: 19 February, 2020, 02:15:10 am »

i can only fell sorry for the leader for skipping his sleep - it becomes a very dark state of existence (hating yourself, everyone and everything around you - i've been there..). 90km to go though - nearly there!
[/quote]

fuckinwithyaself then?   :D
PBP 2019?
often lost.

« Reply #63 on: 19 February, 2020, 02:20:20 am »

Wondering how close James can get to Sofaine in the final few km.

Looks like Jay has regained 3rd.

I need to sleep, but this is getting too exciting not to keep watching...

J

Only just after 10pm here on AST, so still dot watching.
32km between James and Sofiane. Nail biter!
often lost.

« Reply #64 on: 19 February, 2020, 01:06:50 pm »
Winning time: 3 days, 21 hours, 50 minutes. For 1150km off-road, along some sketchy tracks at time. Phenominal.

2 hrs 15 minutes of sleep in that time. Sofiane is unmatched in his approach currently. I hope this doesn't burn him out anytime soon ... it must take a bigger toll than adopting a schedule with more downtime. At least from interviews we learn he rarely uses a boost from caffeine; he is able to sustain his nocturnal ways innately.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #65 on: 19 February, 2020, 01:51:27 pm »
Winning time: 3 days, 21 hours, 50 minutes. For 1150km off-road, along some sketchy tracks at time. Phenominal.

2 hrs 15 minutes of sleep in that time. Sofiane is unmatched in his approach currently. I hope this doesn't burn him out anytime soon ... it must take a bigger toll than adopting a schedule with more downtime. At least from interviews we learn he rarely uses a boost from caffeine; he is able to sustain his nocturnal ways innately.

What!?! No hotels and no single speed, craziness, but absolutely phenominal and phenomenal.😁

« Reply #66 on: 19 February, 2020, 02:10:53 pm »
An interesting array of bike set ups
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2020-atlas-mountain-race-rigs/

Lloyd Wright's (London) setup.  Bike's a bit...   ;D
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #67 on: 19 February, 2020, 04:26:47 pm »

So about twice as long as the PBP winners take to do the same distance, over considerable harder terrain, with less support and having to factor (a small amount of) sleep in once it goes over the two day mark.  Sounds about right.

« Reply #68 on: 19 February, 2020, 06:21:56 pm »
I think going for over 4 days without having at least a 1.5 hour sleep cycle is pretty extreme. 
I've done a few long rides with a bit of sleep dep but I know it's not great for health and I wouldn't do that.

« Reply #69 on: 20 February, 2020, 06:41:41 pm »
I think going for over 4 days without having at least a 1.5 hour sleep cycle is pretty extreme. 
I've done a few long rides with a bit of sleep dep but I know it's not great for health and I wouldn't do that.

I agree. With the caveat that some people just need less sleep than others. Margaret Thatcher probably could have made a good ultra rider!
Not resting sufficiently on the longer ultras is a sure fire way to derail a plan all the way down the pack.
 I had personal experience of that chasing down the closure of CP3 in TCRno6 and made a personal vow not to get into that situation again unless, perhaps, its for the finish line. Its not a good place to be. Its just a bike race, safety first, etc.
often lost.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #70 on: 20 February, 2020, 06:53:11 pm »

I agree. With the caveat that some people just need less sleep than others. Margaret Thatcher probably could have made a good ultra rider!
Yup, on both counts.
This reminds of the fella who dominated RAAM a few years back (army-sponsored, Slovak maybe?). He said that many riders could do the first day-or-two on no sleep, but around days 3-5 he pulled away while they were topping up their sleep banks.

It's clear to me this is a god-given thing, like your ftp, or your height; I don't even believe you can train much for it. (even if it wasn't bad for your long-term health to do so).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #71 on: 20 February, 2020, 07:05:07 pm »

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 20 February, 2020, 07:08:33 pm »
Jure Robic
Thank-you.

(RIP Jure - I'm sorry, but I could never remember your name when you were alive, either  ::-)  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------