Author Topic: Help me choose my dream Audax bicycle  (Read 4748 times)

Help me choose my dream Audax bicycle
« on: 18 March, 2021, 08:10:33 pm »
I'm in the market for an audax machine but have not really been able to settle on anything yet.

Requirements:
- Steel frame with carbon forks (or titanium, but I've never used ti)
- Disc brakes (not used discs before, but seems advisable; open to both mechanical and hydro)
- Strong fast wheels laced to a dynamo on the front
- Full mudguards preferably with clearance for 30-32c tyres
- Budget £1,700

Spa Cycles Elan is currently in picture but is there anything else to recommend?

Re: Help me choose my dream Audax bicycle
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:04:16 pm »
As someone who has only got rear clearence for up to 30c with mudguards, I'd say opt for bigger since 30s are some what difficult to find.

Also I used carbon forks for a long time and having come back to steel ones have decided they're overrated.

« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:05:51 pm »
Cable discs are really not worth the time for a number of reasons. Go full hydro.

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2021, 07:03:28 am »
Slightly over budget?

https://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/product/89899/surly-bikes-frames-straggler-1x-650b-chlorine-dream/option/

https://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/product/3986/surly-midnight-special-1x-hydro-disc-road-complete-bike-sram-apex-rival-650b-wheel/option/

BC might be able to do a cheaper set up on both, think they're both set up with 650b wheels which are more expensive and groupset could provably be changed.

Where are you based?

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2021, 07:42:08 am »
Slightly over budget?

https://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/product/89899/surly-bikes-frames-straggler-1x-650b-chlorine-dream/option/

https://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/product/3986/surly-midnight-special-1x-hydro-disc-road-complete-bike-sram-apex-rival-650b-wheel/option/

BC might be able to do a cheaper set up on both, think they're both set up with 650b wheels which are more expensive and groupset could provably be changed.

Where are you based?
Not too far away as it happens. Hmmm, thanks.

« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2021, 08:43:15 am »
To be somewhat different take a look at the Tout Terrain Scrambler.

« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2021, 08:52:59 am »
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2021, 09:03:04 am »
Dolan bikes,

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/gxa-gravel/
I like their ADX but can't stretch to the disc version

« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2021, 11:40:00 am »
Brixton Cycles also stock Genesis and at one time did stock Brother Cycles and can probably still get more interesting brands. I've been going there for nearly 20 years now, although I live to far away now to call it my LBS.

« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2021, 11:56:28 am »
Audax bikes are a broad church - but I've got a couple more options to throw into the pot:
  • Spa Elan 725
  • Ribble CGR 725
  • Fuji Touring
  • Thorn Audax mk4
  • Sonder Colibri
  • Decathlon Triban 520 (yes - really)

I spent many happy hours comparing all of those on spreadsheet, and over-analysing every review.

« Reply #10 on: 19 March, 2021, 01:52:30 pm »
Brixton Cycles also stock Genesis and at one time did stock Brother Cycles and can probably still get more interesting brands. I've been going there for nearly 20 years now, although I live to far away now to call it my LBS.
BC was my local for years, I've moved further south now so tend to use SE20. I've dropped them a line about the Surly Straggler, which I do like the look of, but I think a) Surly are a bit overpriced, and b) I may require an undesirable stack of spacers for my frame size.

« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2021, 09:39:13 am »
Slightly over budget?

Where are you based?
They'll only do a custom build from scratch so £££. Another option is to just build up a Ribble 525 frame I have lurking in shed, but won't have discs or anything above 25c in that case. But -£££
Spreadsheet time.

« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2021, 10:26:44 am »
All roads point to Harrogate.

Anyone good with dynamo lights?

Front wheel would have a Son 28 hub, and Spa have specced the B&M Premium T Senso Plus and Secula Plus bundle. I think I prefer the Edelux II but it's quite a bit more - is it worth it? It also looks a lot nicer.  ;D

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #13 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:28:36 am »
I've got two B&M Cyo Premiums, an IQ-X and an Edelux II. If I was buying another tomorrow I'd get the Cyo Premium - cheaper than the others, better switch than the IQ-X (not as bright but bright enough) and cheaper than the Edelux but equally bright (I think the Edulux uses the same innards). It may be that the Edulux is a better long term investment but that's too early to tell.

« Reply #14 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:04:38 pm »
I've got two B&M Cyo Premiums, an IQ-X and an Edelux II. If I was buying another tomorrow I'd get the Cyo Premium - cheaper than the others, better switch than the IQ-X (not as bright but bright enough) and cheaper than the Edelux but equally bright (I think the Edulux uses the same innards). It may be that the Edulux is a better long term investment but that's too early to tell.
Interesting, thanks. Think I'll stick with the B&M Premium and save myself £125 then.

« Reply #15 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:20:57 pm »
Steel frame, carbon forks - Genesis Equilibrium? I get 28mm with ‘guards on mine, albeit with minimal clearance so not great if there’s mud about.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:40:52 pm »
Spa also do the Aubisque. Their "Audax" but with disc brakes.

Reynolds 725 tubing, all the eyelets and mounts you need for mudguards, racks, lights and bottle cages.

I built up from the frameset but they have a range of options available groupset-wise.

I really love the geometry, really good on longer rides, though I've not ridden it that far as got it in Jan 20.

« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2021, 08:42:22 pm »
The Elan is a bit lighter so going for that, once I figure out my chainset requirements.

« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2021, 09:06:08 pm »
The Elan is a bit lighter so going for that ...

You need to be a bit careful. I got a steel Elan in January, I love it, and have done 1300 miles already but as I said in this thread ... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102246.0

"The only slight disappointment was the weight. I didn't believe the 10.2kg shown on the geometry table for the steel Elan, as that is also what it shows for some of the titanium Elans, but mine is about 11.8kg without pedals (12.2kg with). The only significant weight change from standard spec is I have ended up with a square taper BB."

« Reply #19 on: 25 March, 2021, 06:49:06 pm »
The Elan is a bit lighter so going for that ...

You need to be a bit careful. I got a steel Elan in January, I love it, and have done 1300 miles already but as I said in this thread ... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102246.0

"The only slight disappointment was the weight. I didn't believe the 10.2kg shown on the geometry table for the steel Elan, as that is also what it shows for some of the titanium Elans, but mine is about 11.8kg without pedals (12.2kg with). The only significant weight change from standard spec is I have ended up with a square taper BB."
Noted. What size is your Elan? Not a deal breaker for me, comfort and long term durability main priority.

« Reply #20 on: 26 March, 2021, 03:55:50 pm »
Mine's a 52 with the full carbon fork.

« Reply #21 on: 26 March, 2021, 04:32:27 pm »
Mine's a 52 with the full carbon fork.
Ah okay, it will be the same then.

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2021, 03:19:13 pm »
Having used only steel frames for many, many years.  I suddenly, by chance, discovered Titanium frames when a friend let me borrow his for a ride one time.  It was a complete revelation to me and I hardly ever ride anything else now.  It is a Van Nicholas Yukon and you will see a lot of titanium framed bikes on Audax events these days.