Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24 hr tt 2014  (Read 9629 times)

Re: Mersey Roads 24 hr tt 2014
« Reply #50 on: 16 July, 2014, 07:37:15 am »
Yes, Hodnet / Epsley roundabout is the best place to be on the night circuit.  There is a big layby on the north side of it but, best of all is the large grass verge immediately on the south side (where riders will be going slower).  If I had a support crew that is where I would ask them to be! 

On the Quina Brook (small) circuit, I would most likely ask them to be somewhere on the massive hill that we go up near Prees village as that is where people are going slowest for handups and / or encouragement.  Prees Island is not bad: you are better placed there to spot when people get switched - but it is a bit busy and also quite fast.   Perhaps just before Prees would be good, so she will be slowing for the RAB and you can see if they switch her. 

The big variable on swithching between circuits is when they send you to the finishing circuit.  I wasn't sure about this so I asked the organiser.  My recollection from 2012 is similar to YLG above, that it was about 10am, but that was a bit of a hazy recollection!  The answer from the organiser (Sam) was not so straightforward:

'Normally we send the first riders on towards the finishing circuit around 8am - again depending on positions on the road and other unforeseen circumstances. ...  it is the slower riders that are sent first so if you are going well it will be later.  We have had some information that there is a road race clashing with a part of the finishing circuit so it is likely we will be sending people later than normal this year.'

« Reply #51 on: 16 July, 2014, 02:06:39 pm »
Thanks Frank, I had a quick look at those on Google earth so I think I have a rough idea what I'm at, although I have been known to get lost on the way to the kitchen.

See you all there,

Pauric

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #52 on: 16 July, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »
Thanks Frank, I had a quick look at those on Google earth so I think I have a rough idea what I'm at, although I have been known to get lost on the way to the kitchen.

See you all there,

Pauric
No need to worry about getting lost: every deviation from the road you are on will be signed and marsalled.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #53 on: 16 July, 2014, 03:27:01 pm »
Heather and I are doing our regular graveyard slot at Espley. I plan to be at the HQ for the start. I then tend to move on to the lay-by North of Tern Hill on the A41, as it's a good spot to film from. It's also a good spot to support from, as you get a long view of your rider coming from Tern Hill, they are going slow enough to hand up to, and they can pull into the lay-by if they don't feel confident about picking up food on the move.

The worst place to hand up is just before the Prees Heath roundabout on the Quina Brook circuit, it's better to walk back up to the Armco barriers about 200 metres South on the A49.

We'll be happy to give updates on riders at Espley, but we will be focused on getting numbers so don't expect undivided attention, when it's quiet we'll be pleased of the company.

Sam Williams decides who gets turned at Espley in the morning, she's the blonde lady with glasses, wearing a hi-vis coat. That's assuming she's there, she's doing a postgraduate degree in oncology in Madrid, but she usually gets back for the 24. Ask her when the turn will happen, again she may be concentrating on something else, so be prepared to be momentarily ignored.

« Reply #54 on: 17 July, 2014, 10:27:31 am »
The weather is starting to look interesting. 

It's a bit unsettled so may change in the next couple of days but at the moment there seems to be talk of thunderstorms on Saturday afternoon.  A bit of rain might even be welcome to cool things down, but riding in wet kit is not ideal. 

It should be pretty mild through night and Sunday seems fine, at least.

« Reply #55 on: 17 July, 2014, 10:36:42 am »
YR.NO has been showing a shift towards an earlier clearance at Shawbury, which is close to Hodnet and is a meteorological station. Judging by that forecast I'd be wary of camping at the HQ, but the forecast is good for the ride itself.
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Shawbury_Weather_station_(WMO_3414)/

« Reply #56 on: 17 July, 2014, 01:33:22 pm »
I'll take that forecast! 
Let's hope it doesn't slip back a couple of hours.

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #57 on: 17 July, 2014, 05:29:26 pm »
Officially starting to get excited now... Have been shopping for supplies and am having a conference at the pub this evening with support crew & Lord Audax. Glory and aching knees will be mine!  :thumbsup:
Powered by Minions

Bairn Again

« Reply #58 on: 17 July, 2014, 09:40:49 pm »
I am now unable to travel to do this and have informed the organiser Im a DNS  :(

« Reply #59 on: 17 July, 2014, 10:07:20 pm »
Officially starting to get excited now... Have been shopping for supplies and am having a conference at the pub this evening with support crew & Lord Audax. Glory and aching knees will be mine!  :thumbsup:

I suppose we're as ready as we'll ever be. Who was it said, 'like fun but different'.

« Reply #60 on: 18 July, 2014, 08:18:28 am »
YR.NO has been showing a shift towards an earlier clearance at Shawbury, which is close to Hodnet and is a meteorological station. Judging by that forecast I'd be wary of camping at the HQ, but the forecast is good for the ride itself.
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Shawbury_Weather_station_(WMO_3414)/

Not looking so good now!  I made myself a small mudguard last night.   >:(
Although XC is now a bit more optimistic. 
I expect there will be an hour or two of rain at some point but it looks like showers rather than prolonged rain.

I am now unable to travel to do this and have informed the organiser Im a DNS  :(
Sorry to hear that!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #61 on: 18 July, 2014, 08:21:08 am »
Before everyone sets off just a quick "bonne route" to everyone riding, and supporting!

I hope everyone gets the distance they want and enjoys it.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #62 on: 18 July, 2014, 09:42:05 am »
Before everyone sets off just a quick "bonne route" to everyone riding, and supporting!

I hope everyone gets the distance they want and enjoys it.

+1, and no doubt lots more!

« Reply #63 on: 19 July, 2014, 12:07:46 pm »
Still raining in Leyland, so I'm not keen on a motorcycle journey to Farndon. I don't want to revive my sciatica by standing around in wet kit. I'll see you all later tonight at Espley.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #64 on: 20 July, 2014, 08:44:58 am »
Leaders at 12 hours:

Hoppo 261
Greg Woodford 253
Jilko 248

TG is looking comfortable.
Frank's packed.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #65 on: 20 July, 2014, 09:29:36 am »
Thanks for the update. Really sorry to hear about frank.

Any news on Ian h or chuffy?

Is the weather being kind? 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #66 on: 20 July, 2014, 04:53:24 pm »
Argh, argh, argh.  :sick:
394 on my computer (19:41, 4:19 off the bike) @evens. Provisional result 383. Ian H for 389 provisional. We had a top, top team supporting us (+one other rider). Flopped out in Travelodge now, trying to work out what I want to eat.

Not doing that again, it was brutal!