Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520778 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4050 on: 15 September, 2020, 11:08:28 am »
Really enjoyed that piece, Tomsk. *** writes rather well.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4051 on: 15 September, 2020, 11:21:19 am »
Really enjoyed that piece, Tomsk. *** writes rather well.

If you ever get the chance to see his one man show take it, Ned’s not Tomsk’s. Although I did suggest to Tomsk over the weekend that he needs to write a book compiling all the random facts rattling around in his head. For example, do you know why glove makers rarely if ever caught the Black Death?  No?  Well you’ll just have to wait for the book, out in time for Christmas.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4052 on: 17 September, 2020, 06:49:32 pm »
Yesterday's Rule of Six MEMWNS worked out brilliantly for the Western Contingent:

- Cheeky pint at the Spiritual Home rendezvous.
- Excellent C.O.R. aka Ruffstuff around Waltham/Pleshey/Mashbury - thanks to Routemeister Josser.
- Finishing at the 'Heritage Pub' that is the Walnut Tree, Broads Green: Timmy Taylor's Landlord and Ridley's Rite, ancient yellowed wooden panelling inside (once it got too cold and breezy) and outside gents bogs.
- I have Wisteria Envy - apparently the pub's is on its third flowering this year, which puts our home grown effort to shame. (Don't lean your bike against it or there'll be trouble - Oaky discovered ...)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4053 on: 17 September, 2020, 07:16:43 pm »
It was a classic evening. That was top notch COR josser!

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4054 on: 18 September, 2020, 01:02:04 pm »
Lovely old fashioned service from Wawa the landlady in a very unspoilt old Ridley's pub - just a shame about the plastic pint glasses...
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4055 on: 18 September, 2020, 01:19:33 pm »
Lovely old fashioned service from Wawa the landlady in a very unspoilt old Ridley's pub - just a shame about the plastic pint glasses...

Wawa was brilliant!!!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4056 on: 21 September, 2020, 11:31:39 pm »
There's space for 1 more on Les Gravelleurs d'ACME - deuxième partie

Chelmsford based (my house!) for "easier parking" than central Chelmsford. Head out up to Galleywood, then off road down, up and along the Swan Lane escarpment before traversing ancient woodlands and heading through the Easters to the Rodings and lunch at Dores - from there, we head North to Flitch Way, then back south past the Pleshey Castle before turning East to rehydrate at the Spiritual Home, then it's a trip along the river before a descent South back to Chelmsford. Optional rehydration at The OT.  Circa 105km, almost 50% off road via bridleways and byways

Thursday 24th Sept - avoiding the weekends to get a quieter off-road experience and ensure both Dores and Compasses are open at our arrival time.  10:00 kick off

Space for 1 more any takers? (to make a group of 6)
Regards,

Joergen

rr

« Reply #4057 on: 22 September, 2020, 12:44:13 am »
Sorely tempted,but working.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4058 on: 22 September, 2020, 10:26:36 am »
Current version of the Route....

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34159649
Regards,

Joergen

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4059 on: 22 September, 2020, 11:01:33 am »
I like the fact that you've routed through "the ford of certain death" not once but twice - I admire your plums...  Bit gnarly for me, but may be see you at the pub.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4060 on: 22 September, 2020, 11:35:22 am »
I like the fact that you've routed through "the ford of certain death" not once but twice - I admire your plums...  Bit gnarly for me, but may be see you at the pub.

I'll be taking the bridge option both times!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4061 on: 22 September, 2020, 11:53:59 am »
It was so dry last week I'm sure you'll be fine, though it is supposed to be raining that day  :o

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4062 on: 23 September, 2020, 08:51:38 am »

I'll be taking the bridge option both times! 
At 25mph?

--
ACME Fire Safety Officer.

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4063 on: 23 September, 2020, 10:01:20 am »

I'll be taking the bridge option both times! 
At 25mph?

--
ACME Fire Safety Officer.

I've done that before, and been catapulted in to the ford..... (fixed ftw!)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4064 on: 24 September, 2020, 11:18:04 am »
Three of the Eastern Easy Riders (myself, the Strangler and Huggy) made it to the Chequers at Great Tey last night (two of them even rode there  :facepalm:).

The landlady mentioned that she was not renewing her lease and that the owners had yet to find someone willing to take it on so it looked likely it would be closed by January.

That would be a real shame as it is a proper country pub and very central for the EER and MEMWNS.

We promised we would be back.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4065 on: 25 September, 2020, 10:01:34 am »
First heads-up here - the first of the ACME Winter Anvil Series 100k events is now open for business.  Don't delay in entering if you want to ride as entries are limited to 30 places.  Please note that the start is very likely to be from a car park and not hosted in Wetherspoons.
Validation will be by GPX track or postal finish by completed brevet (that can be put through my letter box).
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #4066 on: 25 September, 2020, 10:57:34 am »
 :thumbsup:

and an ECE out of habit more than ability

:facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #4067 on: 25 September, 2020, 11:08:05 am »
Entered!

Going to attempt my first ECE as well.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #4068 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:10:18 pm »
Entered, and will ECE as it would be rude not to!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4069 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:13:58 pm »
Entered - and I didn't know there was an option NOT to ECE  :facepalm:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4070 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:22:55 pm »
For those of you, and there are many, that intend to ECE please be aware that groups of up to 6 will be allocated specific start times at 5 minute intervals either side of the nominal time of 10am.  You will not be able to start with a group that is larger than 6.  There is (currently) no organised warm & dry pub to refuel with second breakfast.  There are plenty of pubs and cafés in Witham to use as an individual or group of up to 6.
So bear that in mind when planning your arrival time at the departure location car park to collect your brevet.  If you arrive later than your preallocated time you'll be allowed to start at a safe time, if you arrive earlier than your time you'll need to wait at a social distance from other people that may be lingering around the general area.

These Covid-19 rulz are great fun!!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4071 on: 26 September, 2020, 11:44:29 am »
And the Essex 3Rs is now FULL.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4072 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:52:00 am »
Harwich harbour ferry is out of commission for a while - it broke from it's moorings in the storms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-54315764

« Reply #4073 on: 29 September, 2020, 08:12:36 am »

Merde - there goes October's 200km DIY. Needed the Ferry.

« Reply #4074 on: 29 September, 2020, 06:23:47 pm »
There's space for 1 more on Les Gravelleurs d'ACME

What does one have to do to join Les Gravelleurs? Would I only be allowed in if I start saying "Gravel" rather than "Off road"?

I guess I might need to go tubeless on my Tripster as I don't fancy the chances of the current tyres much.

Anyway, if you continue with these rides, I'd quite like to come along...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!