Author Topic: Aero model brushless motor advice please  (Read 931 times)

Aero model brushless motor advice please
« on: 13 October, 2020, 01:59:22 pm »
As a winter project I have decided to build some model aircraft out of EPS (Depron), just because I can.  In my haste to buy stuff I am pretty sure I have bought the wrong motor.  It looks to be heavy and of high thrust compared to the motors that you see used on YouTube channels.  Could someone suggest a kind of model that this motor would be suitable for?  Wrong way round I know but it is what it is.  It wasn't that expensive but it would be nice to use it.

Specs below.

Thanks

Description:
Brand Name: Racerstar
Item Name: BR2830 brushless motor
KV: 1300
Operating Voltage: 2-4S
Weight: 60.5g
Recommended Prop: 9050,1045

Testing Data:
Model                 Voltage       Prop      Load Current (A)    Pull (g)      Power (W)       Efficiency(g/w)
 BR2830 1300KV     11.1    9050           21.5                         1130                238             4.7
                                14.8      1045             29                         1310                429            3.1

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Aero model brushless motor advice please
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2020, 06:44:58 pm »
Sorry, know nothing about electric power.

If you don't want to sign up at HPA, if you're building model aeroplanes I'd recommend it cos there's a an awful lot of top flight (ha ha) aeromodellers on there who are more than happy to help, shout and I'll post the question on there for you.

Cheers,
Lurk.

Relevant board at HPA is here :

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?board=75.0 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2020, 07:12:53 pm »
Thanks for that Lurk.  I'll work my way throught the various threads.

A quick scan though, shows 80W per pound for relaxed flying is a rough and ready fugure, so that would work out to a model weight of approx 1.5kg.  That's quite a sizable model - a future project I think!

Thanks again.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2020, 08:35:52 am »
Hi Russell,

I waited for TL to respond as I thought he might know, and I don't as I was an i/c model flyer.  Batteries were for powering servos not motors.

I am on this forum:http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php

Register and ask there - I'm sure you'll get an answer.

« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:57:13 am »
Thanks Andy

Followed a few threads and now have an idea of what it could be used for.  Somewhat bigger than I am anticipating as a winter project - 36" span and about 7-800g was one path that I followed.  Maybe in a few years time!

;)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2020, 12:53:14 pm »
You're welcome.  I did have a dabble at electric many years ago, but didn't pursue it as the kit for the size of models I was building and flying was just as expensive as the i/c kit.  Yes, electric is simpler and cleaner, but a scale model, to me, just does not sound right in the air when fed with electrons.  It needs a 4 stroke up front, preferably 2 or even 4 of them to sound the way a large scale model should.

But, each to his own.   Let us know how you get on - plenty of help on here for building and trimming problems. 

And don't forget to do your drone exam if you haven't already.  Don't want plod (or worse the CAA) banging on your door.  As if...

« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2020, 04:25:04 pm »
Thanks for the offer.  I'm starting simple with foam as I have a need to build something.  Flying it will be a way off though.

If you want realistic sound then take a look at RamyRC.  His ducted fan airliners sound amazing esp the airbus.  But that's not the sound you were thinking of, was it?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2020, 08:51:07 pm »
I forgot the HPA / Micro RC board.

This might be of interest.

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=25062.0
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου