Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1600269 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12400 on: 10 August, 2020, 02:17:12 pm »
They've also got to save up for all the medical treatment their thumbs will need in old age...

Its all another big Ponzi scheme, keeping all those physios working on each others thumbs

;D  Now that is funny ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12401 on: 10 August, 2020, 02:33:35 pm »
I've just worked out that if my physio doesn't take a lunch break, his daily income is ~£1380.00
Little wonder that he's smokin' around inna SLK Merc with personalised plates and Carlos Fandango wheels.

Must be a trait of the species. The fizzy next door to us blarbs around in a Porsche.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12402 on: 10 August, 2020, 02:39:37 pm »
Broke a blade on my bandsaw this morning - I was cutting about 10 lengths of recycled pallet wood into strips . . . blade bust about 4cm from the end of the cut on the last board - bugger - no time to replace the blade (that takes about an hour) so had to run a handsaw through to finish.

At least I have a spare blade when I get time to change it.  In fairness the blade I was using wasn't really the right one for the job and was pretty old and worn anyway.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12403 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:42:29 am »
Routine blood test followed by weekly visit to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Mask must be worn.  Tricky when the 'lastic decides spontaneously to break while sitting on the passenger seat of one’s motor-car.  Had to tie it to my specs, which made me look even more of a dork.

Also Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles have stopped selling, or have run out of, or have hidden, electric-type fans.  Just when I decided to buy one for the Great Hall.  In which I am currently steaming even though the sun hasn't reached the window that makes up 80% of the longest wall.  Arse.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12404 on: 11 August, 2020, 01:37:35 pm »
Broke a blade on my bandsaw this morning - I was cutting about 10 lengths of recycled pallet wood into strips . . . blade bust about 4cm from the end of the cut on the last board - bugger - no time to replace the blade (that takes about an hour) so had to run a handsaw through to finish.

At least I have a spare blade when I get time to change it.  In fairness the blade I was using wasn't really the right one for the job and was pretty old and worn anyway.

Bandsaw blades are a sore point with me.  If one will cut straight it leaves cut-marks in the workpiece, and if it doesn't leave marks it doesn't cut straight.  I've watched setup videos ad nauseam and fiddled with the BS for hours to no avail.

My previous bandsaw, sadly deceased, was an el cheapo E. German effort with no pesky H&S encumbrances that cut like a dream.  Current one was safe as houses before I dremeled off most of the H&S crap, but impossible to set right.  The curse of the age, that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #12405 on: 11 August, 2020, 03:46:01 pm »
There seems to be a problem with the vole supply here today.  The UPS keeps switching to battery adding to the heat belting out of Technology Corner.  4 times that I've noticed, spot of log grepping tonight if Mrs Tween lets me near the computers after work.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12406 on: 11 August, 2020, 06:33:00 pm »
There seems to be a problem with the vole supply here today.  The UPS keeps switching to battery adding to the heat belting out of Technology Corner.  4 times that I've noticed, spot of log grepping tonight if Mrs Tween lets me near the computers after work.

Top tip: If this turns into a long term thing, your electrickery distributor may be surprisingly grateful if you can provide RRDtool graphs of the mains voltage.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #12407 on: 11 August, 2020, 09:27:03 pm »
Noted thanks. 
Voltage & usage logging are on the to-do list, somewhere around page 19 I think.  If it continues I'll adjust priorities
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12408 on: 12 August, 2020, 11:12:06 am »
Prompted by another thread...

Recently tried to order some books from Greece using a website which thankfully had an English version.  When it came time to complete my purchase I was required to sign in or create an account.  That is the point where the English version of the site ended, along with my knowledge of Greek.  >:(  Even trying to work with online translation tools wasn't helpful.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #12409 on: 13 August, 2020, 09:29:57 am »
They are replacing the gutters outside my flat.   2 blokes , a couple of mobile scaff towers & a cherry picker.    Noisy !

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #12410 on: 15 August, 2020, 06:20:32 pm »
Which genius at USE developed the original two bolt clamp puzzle for the Alien seat posts?  And which even more awesome person signed off on it?

A cyclops replacement is on order.

« Reply #12411 on: 16 August, 2020, 11:49:50 am »
It’s convenient (well it was...) to be 15 miles from Luton airport. But the recent spell of easterly winds has meant ALL the approaches have been from the westerly track, and that’s straight overhead at 4000 feet. At least the outbound flight from Heathrow to the US and Canada are a bit more varied and above 10000 feet.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12412 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:49:33 pm »
About a month ago, returning from our lockdown riverside walk via a footpath which links two roads, a heavy shower had caused a manhole at the top of the path to overflow and flood the path with a raging torrent.

At home I contacted Thames Water (the name on the manhole cover) to report a presumably blocked sewer pipe. They came out a few days later to fix it apparently.

Today we came up the walked the same path and found that not only had it overflowed again, but the force of the water had lifted and displace the cover, leaving a gaping hole full of water for someone to fall into.

First I rang the council on my mobile, the operator put me through to one of those wretched numbered option thingies. I tried to choose the best option, and ended up hanging on for about 15 minutes repeatedly listening to how they valued my call before giving up.

Waited until I got home then rang Thames Water. They took 30 minutes to answer, all their staff working from home. At least the responder dealt with it efficiently.

They then sent me a text asking me to rate the response out of 5.

I replied saying 5 for the response, but 1 for the 30 minute wait. Immediately get another text telling me just to send a single digit response.

Obviously no intelligence, artificial or otherwise. So fuck them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12413 on: 17 August, 2020, 11:19:19 pm »
I tried to report a water leak I discovered on a ride a year or two ago.  Severn Trent have a useful web form that allows you to specify the exact location on a map and provide all sorts of supplemental information.  I thought nothing of it until the next day barakta answered the door to two engineers looking for a water leak.  Apparently the only thing that actually gets through to them are the contact details on the form.   :facepalm:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12414 on: 17 August, 2020, 11:32:39 pm »
My mum threw away my Carradice, that I'd lent to my brother and he'd left at her flat. 

"Oh, but who could want something as old and scrappy as this?"  That's patina Mum; that bag has been to at least ... [counts] ... 21 countries!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12415 on: 18 August, 2020, 07:44:04 am »
what you put this in the grumble thread !??!?!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12416 on: 18 August, 2020, 12:17:17 pm »
I tried to report a water leak I discovered on a ride a year or two ago.  Severn Trent have a useful web form that allows you to specify the exact location on a map and provide all sorts of supplemental information.  I thought nothing of it until the next day barakta answered the door to two engineers looking for a water leak.  Apparently the only thing that actually gets through to them are the contact details on the form.   :facepalm:

Which is why I put my internal contact details on the form and get a colleague to call my work number. Being able to give the asset ID of a valve from the GIS system is a useful hint.  :-\

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12417 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:23:49 pm »
I phoned in a report to the EA last week, they were going down to grid reference level if I could give it.  About half an hour later a responder called back to get the local detail of which side of the road, how obvious etc. Seemed to work OK.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12418 on: 18 August, 2020, 07:47:03 pm »
Man across the road who is always sawing random bits of wood shit at this time. There's been a digger outside shifting earth all day, could you not have made your noise at the same time instead of breaching the peace now it's finally here?
 :facepalm:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12419 on: 19 August, 2020, 07:06:43 pm »
I have a nasty suspicion that my doorbell has stopped working.  Arse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12420 on: 19 August, 2020, 09:16:43 pm »
ah missed delivery at the Larrington's
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12421 on: 20 August, 2020, 11:12:02 am »
The last two unmissed deliveries should have been a clue.  Porcelfarce and DPD operatives banging on the door.  I'm surprised it didn’t fall down.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12422 on: 20 August, 2020, 01:00:40 pm »
Two grumbles today...

(1) Our inbuilt fridge/freezer has died on us... just as we're about to go on holiday (we're off on the boat on Saturday).  Jon's going to but a new one but we may have to leave it to his father to come and oversee installation.

(2) I was doing a dummy trade on some shares and mistakenly put a deal through.  Managed to wipe £400 paper profit off my portfolio...  :-[
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12423 on: 22 August, 2020, 01:21:02 pm »
The builders working on the car parking plot at the end of the road (i.e. practically outside Pingu Towers) are back with an angle grinding type thing and are attempting to use that to remove a huge pile of concrete lumped against a garage wall. That's going to take fecking hours  :facepalm:
Pumpkin doesn't seem that bothered but Ninkasi is unimpressed.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12424 on: 22 August, 2020, 01:42:10 pm »
They've now gone, having cut some grooves in it. I wonder if they will be back later with a pneumatic drill. If it's on Monday my loft 'office' is going to be a bundle of fun.