Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627937 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5450 on: 06 November, 2014, 06:49:56 pm »
I know the roof of my house is fragile but I did not appreciate the rocket attack knocking tiles from my abode one November.
Still Grumpy

« Reply #5451 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:50:10 pm »
No, not the fireworks, I rather like them, but ...
Last week the tumble drier died. Controller had gone. New one plus fitting was pretty close to price of a new one so it was declared scrap. Just over three years old, I blame planned obsolecence.
Two days later the catch on the washing machine door went. That was fixable.
Today, boiler has died. No lights. Fuse is OK. Look inside, there's charring on the board around one of the connectors (not even a component). We've got a gas fire, kettle and electric shower so will call fixing person in the morning and avoid lunatic fees. I'm mildly disappointed that nothing tripped with whatever died. It went after I left this morning (other people were at home, it being 6th November), so wouldn't have involved anything unusual happening as it went.
Sigh.
More expense that we could do without a month after Mrs Dan changed to a part time job.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5452 on: 06 November, 2014, 10:49:18 pm »
Just looked at the weather forecast to decide what gear to get out for tomorrow's commute. Now wondering wondering if I own a wetsuit :(

We went from a dry, calm, warm July, August and September this year to a sodden wet and windy October and November. Have a guess which month I finally made it back onto the bike after my crash ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5453 on: 06 November, 2014, 11:13:23 pm »
Personally I'd be in favour of them being restricted to licenced professional displays only, rather than being sold to just anyone.

I agree with that Dibdib, although the worst case of them going wrong I ever saw was a public display in Sandown one summer when the whole lot went up. You've never seen several hundred people move so fast on a beach! It was scary.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5454 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:40:45 am »
Wife brought home a new nailbrush for the kitchen. It was in a sealed plastic capsule inside a cardboard wraparound inside a plastic box with sharp edges and corners. Took about 5 minutes to extract at peril of slitting skin under fingernails.

Then she says "Oh, I got another one for the bathroom". Shit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #5455 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »
I love fireworks and restricting them to licensed professional displays only is dull and boring.
+ several.

And this is despite the cat, who is not as HARDCORE as she thinks she is, coming home with what appears to be engine oil all over her fur, presumably from hiding under cars. If you don't like them, pusscat, stay home and watch the provided FOC in-house entertainment.

(click to show/hide)

Graffiti 3 by rjevans6, on Flickr

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5456 on: 09 November, 2014, 08:31:35 pm »
Mollycat!  Quit being a dildo and leave my hair alone!  Also, your dinner is over there ^^^^ >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5457 on: 10 November, 2014, 08:03:50 pm »
Got the film times wrong & am 30 minutes early!
Dammit! I may have to purchase a refreshing beverage to help pass the time!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Chris S

« Reply #5458 on: 11 November, 2014, 01:20:40 pm »
Yes, you may have a very shiny red BMW with personalised plates, and yes - you do indeed have a blue badge.

However.

I could be wrong, but I think you're supposed to park in the designated Disabled bays in the market place, not drive your car right into the pedestrian zone and abandon it outside the bank, thereby blocking everything.

Harumph  >:(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5459 on: 11 November, 2014, 09:31:52 pm »
Rebuild of the Mercian proceeds apace, aided by the arrival of a box from  Bridgewater.  But what's this? The poxy right hand shifter has decided to die. Bah. Previously postponed change to 10 speed here we come.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5460 on: 11 November, 2014, 11:04:17 pm »
Dear lady, that was Hackney, not the Highlands, and thus singularly devoid of scenic grandeur.  Also it was dark.  And raining.  So there was no need to wave your arms around like an epileptic windmill while riding up the Kingsland Road.  Are you turning right?  Are you turning left?  Are you about to lift off for Neptune?  Are you about to poke your companion's eye out?

Just stop it, mkay?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5461 on: 12 November, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »
I've finally accepted that my office PC needs a complete rebuild :-(
This means downloading everything across our office LAN.
It's slower than me going uphill after a decent pub lunch!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5462 on: 12 November, 2014, 02:21:36 pm »
Just killed my phone. Direct fall face down after fumbling it falling out of my pocket and the screen is cracked and dead :(

Now to check whether a new screen is worth it for an S2, or whether it's upgrade time.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #5463 on: 12 November, 2014, 02:44:45 pm »
Just killed my phone. Direct fall face down after fumbling it falling out of my pocket and the screen is cracked and dead :(

Now to check whether a new screen is worth it for an S2, or whether it's upgrade time.

Whole screen or just the glass? Coincidentally I was just looking on ebay earlier and saw glass replacement kits (with tools, glue etc) for about £10.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5464 on: 12 November, 2014, 03:49:50 pm »
Bad luck, mcs!
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5465 on: 12 November, 2014, 04:00:32 pm »

Whole screen or just the glass? Coincidentally I was just looking on ebay earlier and saw glass replacement kits (with tools, glue etc) for about £10.

Nnot sure. The screen is black behind the broken glass which suggests the whole screen has gone, however I'm getting tactile response from it if I touch the screen, but no visuals at all :(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5466 on: 12 November, 2014, 04:00:54 pm »
I have the same problem and I have noticed for the two paperweights I have. I can spend between £9-16 for glass and tools on fleabay. But getting the glass of the digitizer/lcd don't look to be easiest thing to do. Heat gun, taking your time because you don't want to break the glass any more, thin and sharp and also makes it harder to get off the digitizer/lcd along with the chance of breaking the digitizer. So I'm looking to buy a new phone, because glass and digitizer/lcd for the paperweights is between £45-65. Anywhoooo that is my 2 cents.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5467 on: 13 November, 2014, 08:55:05 pm »
My feet hurt.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5468 on: 13 November, 2014, 10:12:36 pm »
Not a recurrence of the summer I hope

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5469 on: 14 November, 2014, 09:32:56 am »
The constant noise of torrential rain banging on our corrogated cardb tin roof is giving me a headache :(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5470 on: 14 November, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »
Not a recurrence of the summer I hope

I hope that too.
Milk please, no sugar.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5471 on: 14 November, 2014, 02:29:55 pm »
What was the problem with your feet in the summer, Ruthie?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5472 on: 14 November, 2014, 03:34:47 pm »
Nothing that can't be managed with drugs and strong drink. Or drink and strong drugs. Too much weight on feet that aren't designed for it probly  :)
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5473 on: 14 November, 2014, 11:12:06 pm »
The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Hall is in the middle of a much needed refresh.     For some reason they have decided that Bright Scarlet is a suitable colour for the gents (I didn't check the ladies!).  However they still haven't fixed the doors on the cubicals.  They open inwards, and the cubicals are so small you've got to wiggle around the door to open or close them. 

It's inconvenient enough for an athletic chap like myself,  but I'm at the younger end of their customers age range   If anyone was to collapse or pass out in there it would be very difficult to open the door & get to them.  :(

The loos in the foyer are much better,  unisex cubicals with lots of room & sinks.  No coathooks though. 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5474 on: 18 November, 2014, 07:17:55 pm »
These days most beers and lagers seem to have their own specific branded glasses. (Must be a nightmare for the staff - it weren't like that when I worked the bars as a youngster)
Anyway, my usual response to the oft proffered apology of "Sorry, I haven't got a proper glass." is
"I really don't care.  You can give it to me in a chipped enamel mug for all I care"

Tonight.  Young barman was just  ???
"What's an enamel mug?"
I explain.
Him  ???  Still fails to understand.

Bugger!  I need a new response.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.