Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813201 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #175 on: 20 April, 2008, 04:46:47 pm »
nope, and I blame the small glass of port at the end of the meal last night for how rubbish I've been feeling all day today.  It was either that or the 8 bottles of wine that 5 of us seem to have got through..

off for a lie down now.

« Reply #176 on: 20 April, 2008, 05:08:24 pm »
A short spin only today, just to watch the pro's passing nearly in front of my door and various other spots in the area.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #177 on: 20 April, 2008, 05:56:15 pm »
No idea how far it was.  Sat Nav packed in and I didn't have spare batteries with me.
But someone from Derby CTC will reduce the sum total of ignorance in the world by letting me know how far we went today.  Somewhere over 50 miles.

10 of us sat down to a splendid lunch at the Ramblers Retreat in Dimmingsdale.
I'm sore now.  I normally ride recumbent, but was on conventional today.

Weather could have been worse; occasional drizzle, bit of a headwind on the way back, but I think everyone enjoyed themselves.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

LEE

« Reply #178 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:25:16 pm »
Yes, I wore shorts and just a thin base layer.  I'd forgotten how nice it is cycling in warm weather without the need for fleece everything.

« Reply #179 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:40:51 pm »
No, I've had a remarkably similar day to Peli except I've been wearing the outfit my boyfriend says makes me look insane.

I feel yesterdays exertions demand it, it's ever so comfy and comforting. I'll spare you a description but it involves pink fleece. With monkeys on. It does not go outside. Ever.

« Reply #180 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:43:49 pm »
No, I've had a remarkably similar day to Peli except I've been wearing the outfit my boyfriend says makes me look insane.

I feel yesterdays exertions demand it, it's ever so comfy and comforting. I'll spare you a description but it involves pink fleece. With monkeys on. It does not go outside. Ever.
Keep catching the long sleeves and multitude of buckles on things I bet?  ;)

« Reply #181 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:53:52 pm »
Yep, and I can't run away from the men in white coats fast enough in it either.

« Reply #182 on: 20 April, 2008, 07:07:24 pm »
Yep.
Following 12 hrs of unbroken kip on Saturday night, today I headed east to Woolwich, crossed the river by pipe as the ferry men had decided to close for lunch, back along the north side to Tower bridge in the sunshine, over the river and retraced the FNRttC route down to Greenwich and then home.
I'd gone out with a hat, buff and legwarmers, by the time I returned all these items were consigned to pockets.  :)
Bought my weekend's mileage up to just over 101.  :)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #183 on: 20 April, 2008, 07:24:24 pm »
Popped out early this morning with ny daughter for a pootle into Greenwich and then around Deptford, new Cross, Brockley Forest Hill on visits to friends and shopping.  Only about  20 easy miles in all but I was especially pleased as on the way back I was heading for the flat route home as I was on the Holdsworth which has one gear (72") and on this always avoid the hill up to Forest Hill from the west side of Peckham Rye.  (Actually, i usually avoid any hill on this bike!} My daughter said she wanted to come down the hill though and I could always walk up anyway.  Amazingly, I made it on the one gear- (just)  See what one FNRttC has done for me!
   Jane

annie

« Reply #184 on: 20 April, 2008, 07:26:06 pm »
As I didn't bring the bike to Annie's, on account of all the forecast rain yesterday, it was another walk with her dogs instead.
Ah well, there's always tomorrow after work!

I think you may have to cycle 200 miles to work off all that chocolate cake, rhubarb and apple crumble and apple pie, plus roast dinner and lots of other goodies.

You are not allowed to stay too often, I feel like the Marshmallow man. ;)

alan

« Reply #185 on: 20 April, 2008, 09:41:59 pm »
Yes.Rode one of the Shenstone Audax's.The 100k Staffordshire Lanes.That's the longest ride I've done for a very long time & I suffered at various points for various reasons but the comaraderie of excellent company made the difference betwen DNF & finishing with the most time-to-spare ever for me on an audax :thumbsup:

« Reply #186 on: 20 April, 2008, 09:44:29 pm »
yes did 70km to Hebden Bridge and back. Twas OK, not spectacular, I know the roads well, not overly inspiring, mostly urban, hilly, windy, cold, damp.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #187 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:09:17 pm »
Managed a re-run of the Denmead-Whitchurch 100k.

T'was lovelly and I think I may have caught the sun  8)

H

« Reply #188 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:20:14 pm »
Amazingly, I made it on the one gear- (just)  See what one FNRttC has done for me!
   Jane
:o :o :o
Unsure as to whether I should be impressed, ashamed or scared?
I think it's a bit of all three.
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #189 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:43:58 pm »
yes did 70km to Hebden Bridge and back. Twas OK, not spectacular, I know the roads well, not overly inspiring, mostly urban, hilly, windy, cold, damp.

Bloody good show. Pleased to see your recovery continues ;D

My CTC ride was not spectacular, I know {most of} the roads well, partly urban, not very hilly, windy, cold, damp.

And the carefully planned route past the local flora was rewarded with lots of flowers that had shut up shop until spring arrives.

I need to ride there again, before spring has run away.

« Reply #190 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:54:42 pm »
Good one, Mseries.Glad the recovery's plodding on.

« Reply #191 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:16:25 am »
16 miles in and around the lanes between Norwich and Blofield.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #192 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:44:26 am »
58 miles to Magor and back to Penarth. Dead flat with two railway bridges as hills. Easterly winds and clouds of midges. Just going to check the mirror to see if I have a blue tongue.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

LEE

« Reply #193 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:25:13 am »
Yes, I wore shorts and just a thin base layer.  I'd forgotten how nice it is cycling in warm weather without the need for fleece everything.

And less than 24 hours later I'm back in waterproof jacket, overshoes and fleece everything. 

This morning I got hit by what can only be described as a tidal wave.

I arrived at the bottom of a hill quite quickly as did a truck coming the other way.  As we passed though the flooded section at the bottom I was hit by the bow-wave, shoes, legs, groin, chest, face and head with an ungodly amount of water.  It actually slowed me down. I was pretty soaked before this but it's the only time I've ever felt water through my bib-longs.

I was just glad I'd zipped up my jacket before the descent.

Sometimes you get so wet that it becomes funny.

« Reply #194 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:04:01 pm »
Trundled to work still feeling FNRTTC in my legs. Resisted urge to kick the cyclist who undertook me to jump the lights when I was stopped at a ped crossing. The ped shouted at him anyway.

« Reply #195 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:13:57 pm »
4 miles to work, and my legs still hurt. Badly.  :-[

cornelius

• Three wheels on my wagon...
« Reply #196 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:45:56 pm »
Yes, and I got up that bloomin' hill on 68" fixed for the first time ever. Hooooraaah! :)
Like Jehu, Son of Nimshi, who drove like a maniac...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #197 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:54:14 pm »
Nope.  Ting Tong needs fettling (thanks to the baggage handlers at Heathrow yesterday - the bastards) and I couldn't be arsed to lug Sheldon downstairs.

I shall lug Sheldon down tomorrow...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #198 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:59:53 pm »
Pottered over to Brixton against the wind to see my sister.  Fortunately, the wind hadn't changed when I returned, so I got a gentle push all the way home :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #199 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:31:22 am »
I took the sporty fixed out for a quick 35km. Mixed it up with the psycho 4x4s on the school run in East Dereham, and really bashed out the climb over Bradenham Hill  :thumbsup:.

Bloody lovely morning - and although I wore longs (temp was only 5c when I left) I probably didn't need them.

Fastest ride of the year so far - 25.5km/hr average; sure, I won't win any medals, but that's quick for me  ;).