Author Topic: Happy Left Handers Day  (Read 7833 times)

essexian

Happy Left Handers Day
« on: 13 August, 2019, 09:15:52 am »
https://www.lefthandersday.com/

Any left handers out there? I'm not but one of my best friends is...  ;D

Have a nice day  :thumbsup:  (a left handed thumbs up....most apt!)

ian

Re: Happy Left Handers Day
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:20:44 am »
I was left and now I'm right. (Or wrong, according to my wife, ta-BOOM.)

I moved over as a teen, weirdly when I reluctantly started wearing glasses. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence, or glasses are a dexter plot to wipe out the laevos.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:48:50 am »
I'm a lefty. Always was, always will be (probably).
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:25:30 am »
 :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:27:21 am »
Me, too.

« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:33:03 am »
Not sure I am a true lefty. Left hand using mouse, writing, nose scratching and on rifle range. Right handed  cricket bowler, batsman, slips, archery and football. Can be ambidextrous if nesc but much slower using right hand for writing etc. Tends to follow my eyesight preference I think, as have lazy right eye.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2019, 11:59:52 am »
Hmm, interesting how it correlates with eyesight. Back when I was a full-time lefty I was so short-sighted that I had to copy everything from the kid sat next to me who was so dumb I think his parents must have dropped him on his head repeatedly.

I also have a lazy right eye. Lazy isn't the right term. It's quite busy but mostly wanders off to do its own thing, sort of an ocular alien hand, mostly embarrassing me by doing things like taking an excursion down ladies' décolletages. Well, I suppose that would be a lot worse if it was an alien hand. Well, your honour, the defendant's explanation for what happened...

I'm pleased to see that internet didn't disappoint, and it took very little Google to find out statistically which hand is most used for those other activities, the sort best undertaken in private and sans undergarments, and which hand in such scenarios is reserved for Sunday best and other special occasions.

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2019, 12:14:40 pm »
I'm a lefty but as above

Left hand for writing, using tablets, computer mouse (and not with buttons reversed as Microsoft seems to think it is), drinking tea, drinking beer, chop sticks blah blah blah.

Right hand for sports involving bats, putting hats on, first pedal to pedal off with, blah blah blah.

I used to write ambidextrous switching between hands as I crossed the page. But I was persuaded to just use my left hand for writing whilst in early years as school.  Wish I was still ambidextrous.  I still am to a certain extent, just not when it comes to writing.

« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2019, 12:49:22 pm »
Similar. Left handed for writing, single-handed bats (e.g. table tennis, tennis), and so on. Right-handed for two-handed bats (e.g. cricket), computer mouse, etc.

No knowledge of any lazy eye.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2019, 12:49:34 pm »
Very left handed here. Except for a cricket bat. School taught me to bat.  ::-)
My mother taught me to bowl, so of course I'm a left handed bowler.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2019, 01:06:35 pm »
I'm a strong righty, except for computer meece and bike pedals, which I've learned to do widdershins for tedious injury reasons.  I'm reasonably ambidextrous with screwdrivers[1] and soldering irons, because it's frequently easier to swap hands.

My brother was a lefty for everything except writing, which I assume he was bullied into doing right-handed after failing to demonstrate any particular natural aptitude in either direction.  (I reckon he was undiagnosed dyslexic.)

My eyes are fine, I'm just lazy.  And if we're counting, sufficiently crap at ballsports that it doesn't really matter which hand I use.

[1] I only recently discovered that this was in any way unusual.

« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2019, 01:52:15 pm »
Another part-lefty here. Certainly for writing*, any fine detail stuff, but right-handed for "heavy" stuff.

*When I worked in Norwich, my boss at the time observed that not only did I speak with a Scottish accent, I wrote with one too.   ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:01:03 pm »
My parents are right-handed.
Two of their six children are properly right-handed.
My left-handed sister married a left handed man, bore 4 sons, only one of whom is left-handed.
Don't know about my 20 other nieces & nephews...

ian

« Reply #13 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:33:53 pm »
From a limited search, it seems the left-right handedness is either weakly or not inherited.

« Reply #14 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:35:22 pm »
Left footed, right handed (except when dealing cards or like Kim wielding screwdrivers and spanners) was marginally right eyed until playing tenor horn forced my left eye to read the right hand page of the music past the bell of the instrument.

My youngest sister and I are both fairly ambidextrous, thanks to lefty mother, though her skill was improved by busting her right wrist in the final year of her A-levels, surgery at Easter and sitting her final exams left handed.

essexian

« Reply #15 on: 13 August, 2019, 02:38:57 pm »
I've just thought of something I do left handed....... the ironing.

No idea why as otherwise my left hand is there simply to make me look symmetrical.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #16 on: 13 August, 2019, 03:07:27 pm »
Spammers, screwdrivers and hammers, whichever hand they happen to be in. Mouse, pen, delicate stuff, left hand. Bats, clubs, epees, right hand. Rackets, both, depending on what I remember.

rr

« Reply #17 on: 13 August, 2019, 05:51:16 pm »
Writing left handed; most tools either, ice climbing helped, kicking balls - equally bad with both. Rackets, bats golf clubs etc right. Right eyed with camaras etc.
Bother right everything except camaras.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 13 August, 2019, 05:57:57 pm »
From a limited search, it seems the left-right handedness is either weakly or not inherited.
Even the genetics are odd – only about 25% of children who have two left-handed parents will also be left-handed.

And lots of other interesting stuff about what left-handedness does or more frequently does not mean: https://theconversation.com/being-left-handed-doesnt-mean-you-are-right-brained-so-what-does-it-mean-121711
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #19 on: 13 August, 2019, 05:59:36 pm »
Ambidextrous.  I use tools with either hand, paint & draw likewise.  I can still write mirror-script with my left hand, though not so legibly now, through lack of practice.

« Reply #20 on: 13 August, 2019, 06:22:48 pm »
I think  Ian H has just won the internet.
Most tools, cutting, screwdrivering, spannering, gripping (albeit with a significant weakness) - I can do with either hand, cos, well... sooner or later you'll need to.
Writing and driving a mouse, with the right - although I can just about master a mouse (is that still legal?) with the left.
Viewfinders/telescopic sights with the left eye.
Preferred spd launch side - right. Although I can just  about manage left and make it look like cycling is really
not for me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 13 August, 2019, 06:52:11 pm »
I am right-handed but my right hand is too weak and numb for many activities so I am typing with my left hand.
I was left-eyed till I went blind in that eye.
When cycling, I found it easier to take my right hand off the bars.

My amdextrous sister writes with her right hand but bats and peels with her left.

My left-handed brother-in-law is a doctor, who does many medical tasks in the customary right-handed manner.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #22 on: 13 August, 2019, 06:52:28 pm »
The drummer of Greenslade would sign his autograph with either hand, one a mirror image of the other. No idea if he is left handed.

« Reply #23 on: 13 August, 2019, 06:55:35 pm »
Mmm. Greenslade.
As illustrated by Roger Dean.
Actually, I think watching someone do that signature thing, would probably mess with my head.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:28:00 pm »
Even the genetics are odd – only about 25% of children who have two left-handed parents will also be left-handed.

And lots of other interesting stuff about what left-handedness does or more frequently does not mean: https://theconversation.com/being-left-handed-doesnt-mean-you-are-right-brained-so-what-does-it-mean-121711

Based on ten entire minutes of Googling, it seems that really there's no difference between left and right hand dominance – and most of us are ambidextrous to a degree – whether you go one way or the other seems mostly down to random events and they way we learn, and the general raised level of impracticalities that lefties find, such as smearing ink. Most people choose a side and go with it, and they quickly lose muscle memory and stamina on the other side.