Author Topic: USB to serial converters  (Read 3551 times)

Rixie

USB to serial converters
« on: 04 May, 2010, 12:53:15 pm »

I have a Garmin Foretrex 201, which needs a serial port connection, and Garmin track and waypoint manager software.

I have upgraded to a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, so I need a serial port to USB converter.

Can anybody recommend a converter that they have got to work?  Many converters on the market state they are not compatible with 64-bit systems, including Garmin’s own.

Re: USB to serial converters
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2010, 01:13:16 pm »
I can't help with the converter but you do not need to purchase the waypoint manager - Easygps is free and will load tracks and waypoints.

I used to have a foretrex and purchased the lead on Amazon but that was before windows 7.

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2010, 01:31:06 pm »
I got mine from Novatech which I use on XP - dunno about 64 bit wizzadry tho'!

This is not it but I guess it is similar.  Will you need a D9 to mini jack lead as well?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Cables/AdaptersAndGenderChangers/USB-0039.html

red marley

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »
I'd be very keen to find a positive answer to this query too.

I have, for many years used a Serial GPS to USB converter cable from GPSWarehouse that does the job perfectly. But I can confirm that it does not work on Windows 7. Without a converter, this could spell the end of my favourite GPS for Audaxing - the Garmin Geko 201.

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2010, 05:55:08 pm »
64-bit drivers have to be digitally signed for them to work in Windows 7. This makes it hard for people to ship their own versions updated to work on 64-bit OSes.

Prolific have updated their PL2303 drivers for 64-bit Welcome to Prolific

(The PL2303 is a common Serial->USB chip. The USB to Garmin eTrex 'block' connector cable I bought from eBay is based on this. I don't have Windows 7 to try it though.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2010, 11:11:46 pm »
I used to have aForetrex 101 (a great gps) and could not find a serial - USB converter to work for it in XP - suggest you try / buy from shops with right of return. I did read (on groundspeak forums) that a Belkin brand worked OK. I have 2 old Psions and they work fine with cheapest Beijing street market USB to serial convertor.

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2010, 07:46:14 am »
My son's laptop is 64 bit Windows 7 (updated from 64 bit Vista). We use some prolific based USB serial cables for controlling amateur radio sets; it was a pain to find the drivers (only specific versions worked, and not the latest at the time Win7 came out), but we did get there in the end. I can dig out the one we used if anyone is having trouble and can't get the current ones to work (I'd hope prolific have sorted this out now).

« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2010, 08:56:39 am »
Just a thought has anyone tried contacting Garmin for their advise

Rixie

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2010, 08:09:09 pm »

Thanks for all this.

It looks as if I have two choices - either wait until serial to USB converters for 64-bit OS become more mainstream and reliable; or buy a lead and proceed by trial and error.

Re Garmin, I did buy their lead, and they were quite helpful in sending me drivers to try, but I couldn’t get my computer to see the lead.  They suggested I keep an eye on their website, and their FAQs.

If I have success, I shall update this thread.

Rixie

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2010, 10:09:45 pm »
Success.

When I posted my first question about this, I had been to Maplin, and they had told me their USB to serial converter did not work with Windows 7, but that a compatible one would be available eventually.

I was in Maplin yesterday and found that they now offer a converter that is W7 compatible.  It cost £14.99 and the part number on the receipt is ZP43.

I have just installed it with no problem and can now communicate with my Foretrex 201.