Author Topic: The Camping and Caravanning Club  (Read 1709 times)

The Camping and Caravanning Club
« on: 25 June, 2023, 10:18:32 pm »
Looking at their website I find a few gaps in my understanding.  I don't know if the information is hidden or that I'm just incapable of navigating the site.

Anyway, the big ones for me are:

Is membership 12 months from when you join or is there a fixed membership year?  And, I see I could join alone or I could add mllePB for more monies.  Is this necessary?  I mean, if we turn up at a site are they not going to let her in or will do so but charge more for a non-member?

I was a member in the eighties and nineties but I remember so little about the joys of membership except the excellent bargains we got travelling as a family to forrin parts in the spring and summer.

Re: The Camping and Caravanning Club
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2023, 12:22:48 am »
The last time I looked at C&CC membership, it was effectively family membership, including partner and up to 2 kids living at the same address.
There was no cheaper option for single-person membership.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2023, 11:33:33 am »
Membership runs for 12 months from the date of joining or renewing.

Membership covers you, your partner and any children (under 18 IIRC) living at the same address.  You can register your partner as a 'secondary member'.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2023, 04:02:14 pm »
And if you want to join a Section (eg. the Association of Lightweight Campers) there currently isn't a way of doing so when you join the Club on the web, because reasons[1].  You have to join first, then phone someone to get the section membership added.  As well as being poor accessibility, this is impacting sections financially.  Words have been had.

[1] Apparently this will be fixed eventually after an AUK-style website revamp[2].
[2] Which I'm hoping will also solve the can't-pay-backpacker-rate-when-booking-pitches-online problem.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2023, 05:04:34 pm »
So what's the difference between the ALC section and the Walking & Cycling section?  I'd have thought the membership Venn Diagram would be almost a perfect circle...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2023, 05:09:25 pm »
So what's the difference between the ALC section and the Walking & Cycling section?  I'd have thought the membership Venn Diagram would be almost a perfect circle...

The ALC are the people who go tent-camping, frequently but not exclusively by foot and bicycle.

The Walking & Cycling section are what the Mountain Activities section renamed themselves to after they realised they weren't doing any actual mountain activities.  They mostly use motorhomes, and while I'm sure they'd be perfectly friendly to any cycle-campers or hikers, they're likely to have a caravannist attitude to things like whether their chosen campsites have toilets.

Some elements within the ALC are disgruntled by this, as it's an obvious source of confusion for new members.  I reckon the confusion starts well before that.

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2023, 05:27:49 pm »

The ALC are the people who go tent-camping, frequently but not exclusively by foot and bicycle.

The Walking & Cycling section are what the Mountain Activities section renamed themselves to after they realised they weren't doing any actual mountain activities.  They mostly use motorhomes, and while I'm sure they'd be perfectly friendly to any cycle-campers or hikers, they're likely to have a caravannist attitude to things like whether their chosen campsites have toilets.

Some elements within the ALC are disgruntled by this, as it's an obvious source of confusion for new members.  I reckon the confusion starts well before that.
Interesting. I got a card through the letterbox on Sunday from them (The ALC), was just checking out their website.