Author Topic: Chest infection  (Read 2080 times)

Chest infection
« on: 02 July, 2019, 08:49:36 am »
I have been coughing horribly for a few weeks.  I noticed gurgling in my lungs that sounded like fluid a couple of weeks ago so went to see the doctor and she confirmed what I had suspected: chest infection.

She gave me antibiotics and I am going back on Thursday.  I'm worried about two things, one of importance to health and one cycling goal related.
- that I might have something worse.  In particular my dad had pneumonia when I saw him just before I got ill.
- I've backed right off my training with just 3 weeks to go now until I leave for the Transcontinental.  There isn't a good time to get one of these but this is a pain as I've trained all year for it and sense it all going to waste.

Googling gives loads of conflicting info, but I've got two questions that I want to understand:
- how long does a chest infection take to run its course after the antibiotics?  I finished them a week ago but am still coughing up buckets of phlegm, and lots more via my nose. 
- is it really stupid to do any sort of training with one?  Could I do long, steady rides, audax, etc but miss the hard intervals?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Chest infection
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2019, 09:49:54 am »
How long is a piece of string?

Recovery depends on causative bug, concomitant viral infection, asthma, presence of other lung problems, general condition etc, etc, etc.

You certainly should not train if you have a fever.

I'd suggest you can train if you feel well but not if you feel like DETH.

There are too many imponderables for any sensible answers.

GWS!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2019, 10:22:33 am »
I got bad bronchitis from cycling doggedly with a bad cold. Chum who caught the same cold did likewise & ended up in hosp with pneumonia and a perforated eardrum.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2019, 10:27:29 am »
Thanks Helly, that's very helpful. 

No lung issues or asthma and in good health otherwise, but a viral infection seems probable to me given the amount of snot I have been producing (and my 2-yo daughter is producing lots too so I think I know where it could have come from!) 

I actually feel pretty good, just cough lots.  No fever or anything.  So I'll probably start riding again.  I have done the odd ride, and felt better when riding than when not, but was thinking that was the worst thing to do as I might prolong things. 

I can't wait to see the doctor.  The follow-up appointment is on Thursday not because she thought that was the right amount of time to leave it but because she is a locum and only works on Thursday afternoons!  However she was very thorough and looking forward to getting her thoughts.

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2019, 10:34:14 am »
I got bad bronchitis from cycling doggedly with a bad cold. Chum who caught the same cold did likewise & ended up in hosp with pneumonia and a perforated eardrum.

Yes, that was the kind of thing I was worried about!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2019, 05:49:20 pm »
My general rule of thumb is that if it's neck or above, carry on cycling/running/rowing etc, to the extent you are comfortable. 

Do you have access to weights etc, or can do yoga to keep you going while the lungs recover?  Your aerobic fitness is not going to increase/decrease much in the next three
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2019, 07:13:11 pm »
I know there are a lot of people reporting colds at the moment but i wonder.

Symptoms:
  • cough
  • temperature
  • runny nose

Diagnosis: Hay fever with post nasal drip leading to secondary chest problems.

If it started about 4-6 weeks ago then you are probably tree pollen allergic coming into the grasses more recently

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #7 on: 02 July, 2019, 08:02:46 pm »
Does that include blocked ears as well?  I've got all that and I got to admit I'm starting to wonder about that, I do have the asthma/eczema/hay fever thing.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2019, 03:26:36 am »
No blocked ears, runny nose or temperature.
Nose isn't streaming like with hay fever, just I have enormous amounts of thick yellow/green snot
One more day until the doctor!

Good thought re yoga. I usually do it but am off it at the moment with a wrist problem!

« Reply #9 on: 03 July, 2019, 09:09:54 pm »
Does that include blocked ears as well?  I've got all that and I got to admit I'm starting to wonder about that, I do have the asthma/eczema/hay fever thing.

Anything which causes swelling of the nasal passages, eustachian tubes, etc will cause blocked ears.  It is all part and parcel of hay fever

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2019, 09:28:07 pm »
No blocked ears, runny nose or temperature.
Nose isn't streaming like with hay fever, just I have enormous amounts of thick yellow/green snot
One more day until the doctor!

Good thought re yoga. I usually do it but am off it at the moment with a wrist problem!

But clearly keeping you awake in the early hours. Good luck getting over it.

« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2019, 09:26:29 pm »
Have been feeling a bit better in the last day or so, but still coughing so doctor sent me for chest x-ray.
results in about 5 days.

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2019, 12:34:53 pm »
I have bronchiectasis (and am immunosuppressed), so when I have an infection, I get antibiotics and steroids on top of the mucolytics and antihistamines I usually take.

I presume there's a reason they don't hand out prednisolone willy-nilly unless you are a pro-cyclist, but it works wonders for me. Can only imagine how great kenacort is if you have "hayfever".

Lots of people I know seem to have picked up chest infections atm. I am asking sniffly people to keep away from me, and washing my hands at every opportunity.

Hope you feel better soon!

simonp

« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2019, 01:14:44 pm »
I had something a bit like this October 2017 - after a cold, I had a cough for 6 weeks. Went to see the doc, was prescribed antibiotics which cleared it up instantly. Because of the duration of the cough they sent me for a chest x-ray, which was clear.

It coincided with a wrist injury, so my training was heavily disrupted. I found that even training moderate intensity made my chest feel tight. It came good once I had the good drugs.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2019, 01:44:54 pm »
I get prednisolone as an emergency thing to take if I start getting a chesty cough, that's after I ended up in hospital twice in the last two years  - 1st time with a major chest infection and the second an asthma attack.
I hadn't connected it with the pro-cyclists for some reason... might be an amusing thing to bring up on a ride some time  :-D
(must go get some more as I used it up on this latest bout - it is good stuff)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2019, 03:35:15 pm »
I had something a bit like this October 2017 - after a cold, I had a cough for 6 weeks. Went to see the doc, was prescribed antibiotics which cleared it up instantly. Because of the duration of the cough they sent me for a chest x-ray, which was clear.

It coincided with a wrist injury, so my training was heavily disrupted. I found that even training moderate intensity made my chest feel tight. It came good once I had the good drugs.

I've got a wrist injury too!  Steroid injection in that a couple of weeks ago.

simonp

« Reply #16 on: 05 July, 2019, 04:06:52 pm »

I've got a wrist injury too!  Steroid injection in that a couple of weeks ago.

I hope that works out - I had mine in early 2018, and it got me through a hard rowing season. It’s pretty good now though still occasionally uncomfortable. Rowing doesn’t seem to be an issue but long distance cycling causes a bit of discomfort sometimes.