Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333794 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #225 on: 08 January, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »
Indeed rr. Something Must Be Done.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #226 on: 08 January, 2014, 02:11:07 pm »
You can't buy fresh root ginger in the M&S Simply Food near the office. Thus I won't be able to have my lemon & ginger tea this afternoon.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

red marley

« Reply #227 on: 08 January, 2014, 02:14:43 pm »
I'm having to resort to the toffee pennies in my Christmas Quality Street.

citoyen

« Reply #228 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:00:59 am »
Whitstable fish market has no native oysters. The fishmonger says he's refusing to stock them at the moment because they're crap and overpriced.

I had to settle for rock oysters instead!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #229 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:10:46 pm »
Whitstable fish market has no native oysters. The fishmonger says he's refusing to stock them at the moment because they're crap and overpriced.

I had to settle for rock oysters instead!

An unsettling state of affairs, indeed.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #230 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:58:23 pm »
You can't buy fresh root ginger in the M&S Simply Food near the office.

A cow-orker from Geordie-land once went into a supermarket in Newcastle, and in amongst his basket of items was some root ginger.

At the checkout, the assistant swiped through all the other items, but picked up the root ginger, looked at it, and put it in a bin under the desk.   When asked "Can I have that, please?" the assistant said: "The stick?  You want this stick?"

« Reply #231 on: 11 January, 2014, 07:08:26 pm »

A cow-orker from Geordie-land once went into a supermarket in Newcastle, and in amongst his basket of items was some root ginger.

At the checkout, the assistant swiped through all the other items, but picked up the root ginger, looked at it, and put it in a bin under the desk.   When asked "Can I have that, please?" the assistant said: "The stick?  You want this stick?"
That made oi larf!  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #232 on: 11 January, 2014, 08:03:22 pm »

That made oi larf!  ;D

And me too, also, as well!

citoyen

« Reply #233 on: 12 January, 2014, 07:23:14 am »
And me.

I've had to help checkout staff with product recognition on occasion but never had one do that. Priceless.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #234 on: 12 January, 2014, 07:58:32 am »
And me.

I've had to help checkout staff with product recognition on occasion but never had one do that. Priceless.
I have been known to be buying apples, then when they're obviously trying to figure out which variety of apples they are, look at them like they're stupid and say "err...they're *apples*?!"

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #235 on: 12 January, 2014, 10:43:30 am »
I had to tell the checkout guy what peas in the pod were once, and ended up splitting a pod to show him.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #236 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:13:53 pm »
I had to tell the checkout guy what peas in the pod were once, and ended up splitting a pod to show him.

The proles are soooo uneducated, aren't they?  ;D ;)

:-*

red marley

« Reply #237 on: 12 January, 2014, 12:39:09 pm »

It just goes to show that all that anti-ginger prejudice is really just borne out of ignorance.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #238 on: 12 January, 2014, 08:16:03 pm »
The special door for upperclass passengers wasn't working so I had to use the economy door!

And Stand in a queue!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #239 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:07:49 pm »

It just goes to show that all that anti-ginger prejudice is really just borne out of ignorance.

jo wins the internets again!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #240 on: 13 January, 2014, 01:01:23 pm »
Those who have never experienced it can only imagine the extra mainenance required when a red setter occupies the same living space as a couple of Rohloff hubs.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #241 on: 13 January, 2014, 01:59:09 pm »
Those who have never experienced it can only imagine the extra mainenance required when a red setter occupies the same living space as a couple of Rohloff hubs.

Is this like a doggy version of the long-haired lesbians problem?

(I fished a spectacular oily hairball out of one of my bike's chain tubes yesterday.  It reminded me of owning a Dyson.)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #242 on: 13 January, 2014, 02:23:11 pm »
I may need your Rohloff experience, Wow, now I have bought a machine with one. Although it was serviced 1000km ago so I guess it doesn't need anything for a while.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #243 on: 13 January, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
My beautiful cohab lovingly prepared lunch for me last night - a dressed puy lentil salad, with lamb's leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes and mozzerella pearls.  On the side was a little pot of carrot sticks and hummus.

Unfortunately, when I came to eat it today, the reusable 0.33l Addis screw-top pot that she'd selected for the carrot sticks was so deep that I couldn't effectively dip them in the hummus that she'd also put in there.

Utter torment, I tell you.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #244 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:04:24 pm »

Is this like a doggy version of the long-haired lesbians problem?

(I fished a spectacular oily hairball out of one of my bike's chain tubes yesterday.  It reminded me of owning a Dyson.)

What has being a lesbian to do with hair balls? I get hairballs all over the place...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #245 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:05:36 pm »
What has being a lesbian to do with hair balls? I get hairballs all over the place...

People tend to ask you what you "do".  To which the canonical reply is "spend a lot of time unclogging the hoover".

« Reply #246 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:30:11 pm »

People tend to ask you what you "do".  To which the canonical reply is "spend a lot of time unclogging the hoover".

That's why it is a good idea to get a dyson. Untroubled by long hair in large quantities (unlike the bathroom shower drain).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #247 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:32:05 pm »

That's why it is a good idea to get a dyson. Untroubled by long hair in large quantities (unlike the bathroom shower drain).

*sporfle*

They're only untroubled because the suction is crap from the outset.

(Former owner of about 4 different Dysons, all hopeless.  How's that for a first-world problem?)

citoyen

« Reply #248 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:55:50 pm »
Unfortunately, when I came to eat it today, the reusable 0.33l Addis screw-top pot that she'd selected for the carrot sticks was so deep that I couldn't effectively dip them in the hummus that she'd also put in there.

Give her a good spanking when you get home.

And then after you've finished having fun, punish her for the lunch error.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #249 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:02:35 pm »
My beautiful cohab lovingly prepared lunch for me last night - a dressed puy lentil salad, with lamb's leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes and mozzerella pearls.  On the side was a little pot of carrot sticks and hummus.

Utter torment, I tell you.

That's what latte spoons are for!