Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 335649 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #250 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »
What has being a lesbian to do with hair balls? I get hairballs all over the place...

People tend to ask you what you "do".  To which the canonical reply is "spend a lot of time unclogging the hoover".

That's why it is a good idea to get a dyson. Untroubled by long hair in large quantities (unlike the bathroom shower drain).

*sporfle*

They're only untroubled because the suction is crap from the outset.

(Former owner of about 4 different Dysons, all hopeless.  How's that for a first-world problem?)
That's a genuine FWP. Anywhere else, you'd have a maid do it for you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #251 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:48:20 pm »
Also the reference to long-haired lesbians is

1) to differentiate from the short-haired variety of lesbian...
2) two people in a partnership with long hair which is unusual as it's more uncommon to have a male-female partnership where both people have long hair...

So not exclusive to "lesbians"... 

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #252 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:21:20 pm »
Overhead today, but better fitted to this thread...

1. I left my gym yoga mat on the train last night
2. *horrified* What did you do?!
1. *horrified* I had to take my home one this morning
2. Dis-gusting
1. I know! And, now I have to buy another one
2. I'm sorry, honey, you'd think someone would have told you. Those things aren't cheap!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #253 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »
Also the reference to long-haired lesbians is

1) to differentiate from the short-haired variety of lesbian...
2) two people in a partnership with long hair which is unusual as it's more uncommon to have a male-female partnership where both people have long hair...

So not exclusive to "lesbians"...

I know a heterosexual couple with a chap whose hair is waist-length, blond and glorious. The woman has lovely, long, light brown hair.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #254 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:32:51 pm »
My ISP has upgraded me to PHP 5.4 which has stopped me from adding to or editing my WordPress blog. I wanted to write a nice long post about my new Velomobile to share with the world but I can't. And I haven't got a clue how to fix it (apart from emailing 1&1 tech support to ask for them to change me back to PHP 5.2 - some chance!)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #255 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:42:07 pm »
My ISP has upgraded me to PHP 5.4 which has stopped me from adding to or editing my WordPress blog. I wanted to write a nice long post about my new Velomobile to share with the world but I can't. And I haven't got a clue how to fix it (apart from emailing 1&1 tech support to ask for them to change me back to PHP 5.2 - some chance!)

Yet another problem, I understand the words "blog" & "velomobile" but how they are connected are a conundrum  ???

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #256 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:54:09 pm »
My beautiful cohab lovingly prepared lunch for me last night - a dressed puy lentil salad, with lamb's leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes and mozzerella pearls.  On the side was a little pot of carrot sticks and hummus.

Unfortunately, when I came to eat it today, the reusable 0.33l Addis screw-top pot that she'd selected for the carrot sticks was so deep that I couldn't effectively dip them in the hummus that she'd also put in there.

Utter torment, I tell you.
I rang Blue Peter about this and they're dusting off the totaliser and starting an appeal.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #257 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:56:48 pm »
My ISP has upgraded me to PHP 5.4 which has stopped me from adding to or editing my WordPress blog.

This is a known problem. Are you getting a "Error establishing a database connection" message? It's to do with how PHP5.4 handles and stores your login passwords. I more or less understand it, but I'm not sure I could run to explaining how to fix it...

It's probably worth contacting 1and1 - as it's a known problem, they should know how to resolve it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #258 on: 14 January, 2014, 11:40:03 am »
The person I'm going to see about a ramp has a thick privet hedge in their front garden so google maps doesn't help me determine if it's rampable from the comfort of my office.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #259 on: 14 January, 2014, 11:47:59 am »
I left a herb teabag in my insulated mug over christmas, and now it has gone mouldy and stuck to the bottom of the mug.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #260 on: 14 January, 2014, 02:55:00 pm »
I may need your Rohloff experience, Wow, now I have bought a machine with one. Although it was serviced 1000km ago so I guess it doesn't need anything for a while.
I'm always pleased to help, but this hub is currently in Rotterdam, is it not? THe only thing you are likely to need when you have your year in Germany is an oil-change kit. I have oil so you could pack a couple of small bottles in your luggage.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #261 on: 14 January, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »
I was eating a scotch egg in the pub, and my friend got excited as he thought it was an arancini (those deep fried risotto balls). Not as bad as mistaking mushy peas for guacamole, but close.

« Reply #262 on: 14 January, 2014, 07:29:42 pm »
My nook ran out of battery power on the tube this morning so I couldn't find out what happens next in Game of Thrones and (worse) was reduced to reading the Metro.

There surely must be a support group for those who have this most unfortunate experience.

The lack-of-nookie power experience is indeed unfortunate.  There are pills to help.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #263 on: 14 January, 2014, 10:09:30 pm »
I may need your Rohloff experience, Wow, now I have bought a machine with one. Although it was serviced 1000km ago so I guess it doesn't need anything for a while.
I'm always pleased to help, but this hub is currently in Rotterdam, is it not? THe only thing you are likely to need when you have your year in Germany is an oil-change kit. I have oil so you could pack a couple of small bottles in your luggage.
Yes the hub is currently in Rotterdam and not needing a service, I assume, seeing as it was last done 1000km ago. However, I'm not sure of the service interval on Rohloffs so I might need to do it next year. Perhaps you'll have to come over for a visit with Mrs Wow!!

Mind you, a different chap with a Versatile has been giving me loads of really helpful advice and has offered to help with any servicing etc (he only lives two hours' drive away!) He's had two Versatiles so is very familiar with them and has done 40,000km so undoubtedly has done a fair bit of servicing.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #264 on: 15 January, 2014, 01:49:45 pm »
The bulb has gone in the toilets on this floor. I have to go down stairs :(
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #265 on: 15 January, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
I am out of soya milk and I am going to get wet walking to the van to drive to the supermarket  >:(
Does not play well with others

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #266 on: 15 January, 2014, 04:05:46 pm »
I have just done some online shopping at Sainsbury's for my Aged Parents who return from Foreign Travels today.
Sainsbury's did not list/stock the International New York Times they requested.

« Reply #267 on: 16 January, 2014, 09:19:53 am »
I'd run out of goose fat to use for sautéing my Lyonnaise potatoes so I had to slum it and use butter.

Quelle horreur.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #268 on: 16 January, 2014, 12:32:31 pm »
I stocked up on goose fat when I was in Lidl at the weekend as they had it on special offer - something like 50p a pot, iirc.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #269 on: 16 January, 2014, 01:17:57 pm »
We have loads in the freezer, thanks to Lucy our Christmas Dinner.

It'll be there a while though- we don't eat potatoes.  :facepalm:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #270 on: 16 January, 2014, 03:36:19 pm »
I had to wear a pair of underpants two days running as the washing isn't drying in this ghastly weather.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #271 on: 16 January, 2014, 03:37:40 pm »
How is this a First World problem? Don't you have dozens of pairs of underpants, & anyway are independent of weather for drying because of your tumble dryer (possibly integrated with your washing machine).
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #272 on: 16 January, 2014, 04:56:46 pm »
I had to wear a pair of underpants two days running as the washing isn't drying in this ghastly weather.

Euuuuuw! TMI
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #273 on: 19 January, 2014, 09:28:22 am »
Exact Audio Copy keeps tagging my CD rips with the year of the re-issue, not the original release. Bunch of philistines.

« Reply #274 on: 22 January, 2014, 11:37:58 am »
My washing machine has thrown its drive belt. It's going to be a couple of days before I can do a machine wash again.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams