Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 335324 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #375 on: 24 March, 2014, 03:55:08 pm »
Your plight has really touched me. If it's not too presumptuous, and not triggering for you, I think I'd like to organise a vigil to honour your suffering.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #376 on: 24 March, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »
The plight of those faced with undrizzable olive oil has so stuck me that I had to do something.

So tonight I sponsored myself to cycle through Croydon town centre. I collected 14p. I know money isn't the solution but I hope it can a go a little way towards making things better in these darkened hours.

I think the only real solution is some kind of mini olive oil bottle heater.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #377 on: 24 March, 2014, 10:51:37 pm »
I raised some money on C & J's behalf today, too. They'll be heartened to know I spent it on a bottle of la Motte Shiraz 2009. It was jolly splendid and helped me no end in empathising with their plight.

« Reply #378 on: 25 March, 2014, 09:35:19 am »
I lit a candle for you, C & J, you're in our thoughts. I hate the feeling of helplessness, I wish there was more I could do.

I know it's not really any compensation, but I hope you have claimed?

« Reply #379 on: 25 March, 2014, 12:09:01 pm »
We're bearing up as best we can.  Julian suggested a night at the London Lesbian & Gay Film Festival, followed by a light supper at Wagamama ...
Slumming?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #380 on: 25 March, 2014, 01:14:32 pm »
Your plight has really touched me. If it's not too presumptuous, and not triggering for you, I think I'd like to organise a vigil to honour your suffering.

We're both overwhelmed, thank you.

I know money isn't the solution but I hope it can a go a little way towards making things better in these darkened hours.

I think the only real solution is some kind of mini olive oil bottle heater.

It's still too early for us to start to think practically like that, but to have such fine friends that can makes us feel truly blessed.

I raised some money on C & J's behalf today, too. They'll be heartened to know I spent it on a bottle of la Motte Shiraz 2009. It was jolly splendid and helped me no end in empathising with their plight.

Tim, if there's one thing I've learned through all of this terrible pain, it's that you cope however you can.

I lit a candle for you, C & J, you're in our thoughts. I hate the feeling of helplessness, I wish there was more I could do.

I know it's not really any compensation, but I hope you have claimed?

As I said, it's still such early days for us, but knowing that a robust legal remedy is an option for us in the fullness of time is comforting.

We're bearing up as best we can.  Julian suggested a night at the London Lesbian & Gay Film Festival, followed by a light supper at Wagamama ...
Slumming?

No, not at all - we often seek solace by spending time with people poorer and less fortunate than ourselves. 

Quite often, a chance conversation or even a kind word spoken between strangers in a popular canteen will go a long way.  And who knows who might also be suffering from a similar tragedy?   Solidified drizzling products can happen to anyone, across all strata of our society.

We must be strong, for ourselves and for others.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #381 on: 25 March, 2014, 01:22:14 pm »
Solidified drizzling products can happen to anyone, across all strata of our society.
Into each life some hail must fall.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #382 on: 25 March, 2014, 06:27:49 pm »
Would it help if we created a motivational post on social media?
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #383 on: 25 March, 2014, 11:19:04 pm »
Now I know this thread has met its purpose. We should be thankful that few of us have had to endure the hardships that Charlotte and Julian have - and I like to think they did it on our behalf. We should bow our heads at the selfless sacrifice they have made, and think ourselves lucky that few of us have had to suffer the indignity and inconvenience of a jammed-up oil drizzler. Now I know what suffering is; it puts the rest of my life into perspective.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #384 on: 25 March, 2014, 11:23:30 pm »
It really pains me to think that Charlotte's oil drizzler might be jammed up. I hope the jam was Wilkins'.

The key question is this: who will lick the jam off Charlotte's oil drizzler?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #385 on: 26 March, 2014, 09:32:33 am »
Charlotte, I've been on the phone. Geldof is busy, but Bono says he can come to your humble kitchen and shed a tear on camera.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #386 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:02:46 am »
Oh Wunja, you're so wonderful - that would be really a very special thing.

Julian and I were holding it together quite well until we read the news this morning about Gwyneth and Chris's split.  Such awful, terrible news - it's just one thing after another and at this rate, I'm not sure how we're going to keep going.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #387 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:20:40 am »
I'm locked up in prison and I cannot get hold of a copy of Brain Sewell's "Naked Emperors: Criticisms of English Contemporary Art".
It is simpler than it looks.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #388 on: 26 March, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »
I'm sorry to have to ask this, in your time of grief and suffering, but it is most important.

Has anybody contacted the Grauniad's newsdesk or one of their feature writers?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #389 on: 26 March, 2014, 02:19:11 pm »
Oh Wunja, you're so wonderful - that would be really a very special thing.

Julian and I were holding it together quite well until we read the news this morning about Gwyneth and Chris's split.  Such awful, terrible news - it's just one thing after another and at this rate, I'm not sure how we're going to keep going.
I think she got tired of pretending to like his whiny dull music.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #390 on: 26 March, 2014, 03:15:28 pm »
Charlotte, I have taken the liberty of discussing your situation with a QUILTBAG social worker, to see if she could offer any advice. She says that if you were proper QUILTBAGs, you'd be making your own pizzas and topping them with home-grown organic vegetables.  ;D But, she also says she's coming down to London this weekend and will be happy to offer any assistance she can. She was a psychiatric nurse before she was a social worker, so she can offer a holistic assessment of your mental states, and can probably get you the good medication should your trauma prove to be enduring. We've organised a  session for tomorrow where we will all concentrate on visualising healing for you both.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #391 on: 26 March, 2014, 03:28:17 pm »
My name is Charlotte and I am Not A Proper QUILTBAG  :-[

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #392 on: 26 March, 2014, 04:51:56 pm »
Nobody wants to eat pizzas with bases made of cauliflower and hemp anyway.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #393 on: 26 March, 2014, 07:02:17 pm »
I didn't care about Charlotte and Julian's solidified oil problem at first. I felt that as peak balsamic vinegar dressing approaches it is the responsibility of us all to find alternative sources of lubrication for bread and salad products.

That was, until my in flight salad was delivered to my business class seat with a bottle of immobilized olive oil based dressing.

I've asked for a copy of the black box recipes. Typo. Black box recording of the flight to help me understand and eventually come to terms with this incident.

I'm now moved to empathise with C&J.  Damn it.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #394 on: 26 March, 2014, 07:38:11 pm »
Another revelation and conversion as significant as the road to Damascus.

Meanwhile in other news our evening meal is in danger of being totally inedible due to the non-availability of penne pasta in the household. It looks like we will have to try and make do with fusilli instead . . .

Oh! The humanity! Where is Brigitte Bardot when you need her?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #395 on: 26 March, 2014, 07:41:09 pm »
My name is Charlotte and I am Not A Proper QUILTBAG  :-[

Cell-sized pizzas at last. With green mitochondria. Yumm!!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #396 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:10:10 pm »
Strewth, here you are bewailing lack of drizzle when some footballers have to get by on merely £50,000  a week, and certain east European folk have to now pay taxes on purchases in UK, whatever is the world coming to?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #397 on: 28 March, 2014, 05:19:16 pm »
One of my chocolate raisins had no chocolate at all on it.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #398 on: 01 April, 2014, 10:11:26 pm »
Door opening etiquette: it's easier to hold a door open for somebody when it opens towards you.
Approaching a door that opens away from me, I can see a  woman coming the other way on the other side. I'm going to get there slightly before her. Do I:
a) Try to hold it open with one arm raised and awkwardly stand back as she ducks through while being forced to smell my armpit
b) Stand there like a lemon giving her no option but to hold it open for me, or
c) Just barge through apologising?

« Reply #399 on: 01 April, 2014, 10:28:12 pm »
d) Walk through calmly (having seamlessly adjusted your pace to arrive more than slightly before her), enabling you to gracefully hold the door from the other side, where it's a damn sight easier.